Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9600 9601 [9602] 9603 9604 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461708 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #144015 on: April 04, 2019, 04:05:13 pm »

Wait wait wait... hold on for a quick second here... people believe that Jordan Peterson is a "right-wing nutjob"? Why?

I've read most of 12 Rules for Life and haven't found anything that would remotely justify that description.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144016 on: April 04, 2019, 04:14:40 pm »

I've only heard of him when people are complaining about racists, so generally assumed he was some popular racist.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144017 on: April 04, 2019, 04:51:12 pm »

I've only heard of him when people are complaining about racists, so generally assumed he was some popular racist.

He has said some things that imply genetic determinism in the past, but he isn’t a nut-job. He’s actually very well-articulated which is why you can’t underestimate him. Automatically calling people you disagree with racist is exactly why the right has made such a strong comeback in recent years.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #144018 on: April 04, 2019, 05:06:21 pm »

*shrug* I've only seen a few soundbites of him (mostly posted by his fans) around the internet. My impression is that he's some kind of right wing self-help speaker (note that I do not regard this as a good thing. I regard most of these self-help people as shallow smoke salesmen, and I think he is no exception). He doesn't strike me as a fascist, but rather as a run of the mill conservative.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144019 on: April 04, 2019, 05:13:29 pm »

He actually describes himself as a classic liberal, despite people often mischaracterizing him as a conservative, according to his Wikipedia page.

I have a nagging feeling that this:

is the vast majority of the reason why people think he's an insane alt-right Nazi that should be banned. A couple of people misinterpret his statements or take them out of context, the eternally bloodthirsty media pick up on it, and then thousands of people jump on the bandwagon without ever actually reading his work or statements for themselves.

EDIT: It also probably has to do with the fact that many people (the media, particularly) spin disagreeing with some of the more modern liberal concepts as automatically becoming a Nazi. Black-and-white thinking and fearmongering like this is exactly the reason why more traditional liberal ideas like modern, developed-country social systems never reached the United States.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:20:38 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144020 on: April 04, 2019, 05:13:55 pm »

The stuff on YouTube isn’t his main content. He’s a university lecturer at heart. If you want to properly understand Peterson and thus properly criticize him, you need to listen to his lectures. You can probably find them online.

Ninjaed
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144021 on: April 04, 2019, 05:28:46 pm »

As I understand it, he's actually fairly chill in person/lecture, but leans into the controversy to popularize himself. PR and whatnot.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144022 on: April 04, 2019, 05:36:59 pm »

He's a nazi in the same sense that Laci Green is being called a nazi. She's a left-wing feminist, but she hung out with some dirty centrists, so now when she attends an event, other left wing feminists who used to be her supporters accuse that event of hosting nazis.

EDIT: didn't take long to google this. Doesn't seem like something a right-wing guy would say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmcQ6WHaSks

The problem is that the dialogue has now moved to the point that if you contend that "male and female are real biological concepts" then you're called a Nazi or closet-Nazi. Which then allows actual alt-right people to position themselves as a viable "voice of reason" on those issues.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:47:57 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #144023 on: April 04, 2019, 05:41:00 pm »

Damn centrists and their ‘middle ground’!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144024 on: April 04, 2019, 05:53:11 pm »

The real sads is people having a lot of pointless anger around them prevents discussion of their other problematic thingses.

The Laci Green thing does seem a bit overblown, but it kinda looks like there is some other stuff in there about not fully supporting harassment victims?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144025 on: April 04, 2019, 05:59:05 pm »

The stuff about her being unsupporting of harassment victims is bullshit they concocted after the event.

https://theestablishment.co/the-sad-case-of-laci-green-feminist-hero-turned-anti-feminist-defender-322515344297/

Anyone who’s marginalized knows the dangers of online harassment — and YouTuber Laci Green, who rose to prominence by conducting online sex education content on behalf of Planned Parenthood and Discovery News, has faced some of the worst of it. In addition to the usual vile comments and death threats, she’s contended with physical harm as well, in the form of objects thrown in her direction during speaking engagements.

It's pretty convoluted. Laci had done significant amounts of work with the anti-harassment movement, but after talking to the wrong people she started getting the mentioned online harassment from many of those same people.

At one point she called out one of the people who previously worked with her on an anti-harassment campaign as a "sociopath", and according to the article writer this makes Laci a hypocrite about harassment victims. Another possible take on that is that this other person gleefully engaged in the anti-Laci harassment going around, so that person is the hypocrite (an anti-online-harassment activist actively harassing others online for holding dissenting views), and they actually are sociopathic, but hiding-in-plain-sight by aligning themselves to that cause, which then allows them to attack other people online with impunity. Any holier-than-thou smokescreen is suspect, no matter what cause or religion it aligns with.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:07:36 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #144026 on: April 04, 2019, 06:06:14 pm »

Jordan Peterson is the usual story.  He reaches all the same conclusions as a far right extremist, but never identifies as one.

He plays off of conspiracy theories/negative stereotypes about academia.  Any liberal arts major + some softer sciences are secretly pro-marxist propaganda*.  You know the one black guy that goes to fox news to rant about black on black violence?  He's like that but for university professors.

Disclaimer: most/all of his controversies happened after the book.

*his major: psychology.  lol
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144027 on: April 04, 2019, 07:54:42 pm »

Coachgun or bust

That's next. Double barrel coachgun or pump action with a pistol grip and stock and 16" barrel.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #144028 on: April 04, 2019, 10:12:00 pm »

I'm having weird feelings about work. On one hand it's mind-numbing tedium and unfulfilling dreck punctuated by moments of blinding hot rage, the most basic tools and equipment barely work, policies and procedures are counter-intuitive, and coworkers are hard to relate to if not downright infuriating sometimes. I don't get paid enough and this is nowhere close to where I wanted to be at this point in my life.

On the other hand praise is swift, frequent and sincere, I feel like I genuinely make a difference (within the scope of my dumb unimportant job), I learn new ways to do things all the time, and my overlords have been nothing but supportive and helpful when I needed to be away. I also have a suspicion that I could be earning a promotion if I keep working towards it, a feelig I never had at my old job.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:55:35 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144029 on: April 04, 2019, 11:33:07 pm »

This irritating bogan bitch behind me on the bus is having an unreasonably loud phone conversation and it is turning what should have been a nice, relaxed journey into a solidly unpleasant experience. >.<
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9600 9601 [9602] 9603 9604 ... 11040