Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9598 9599 [9600] 9601 9602 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462591 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143985 on: April 03, 2019, 06:24:46 pm »

You should ask scriver. He mentioned in a thread a while ago that his grandmother was a Dyk, and he knows some simple phrases.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #143986 on: April 03, 2019, 06:53:38 pm »

Hey scriver, are you part dyk? /poe
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143987 on: April 03, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »

Pretty much every cartridge has more powder in it that is used in most guns, because you still get more power even if you don't get the full potential. This is why you get more velocity out of a longer barrel (up to a point) - you're making better use of the powder in the cartridge. For example, the most popular pistol round in the world (9x19 Parabellum) is usually used in pistols with a 4" or less barrel. Velocity for a 9mm peaks at a 16" barrel. However, the next smallest round (.380 ACP, which is confusingly the same .357" diameter of a 9mm) is still 20% slower from any barrel.

She has a Taurus G2S 9mm. I have a Ruger CC .380. I'm getting a Taurus G2C 9mm.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143988 on: April 03, 2019, 07:23:56 pm »

Pretty much every cartridge has more powder in it that is used in most guns, because you still get more power even if you don't get the full potential. This is why you get more velocity out of a longer barrel (up to a point) - you're making better use of the powder in the cartridge. For example, the most popular pistol round in the world (9x19 Parabellum) is usually used in pistols with a 4" or less barrel. Velocity for a 9mm peaks at a 16" barrel. However, the next smallest round (.380 ACP, which is confusingly the same .357" diameter of a 9mm) is still 20% slower from any barrel.

Both subcompacts, with hers in a more powerful cartridge. That would give her a much louder gun and significant blast. Makes sense.

I'd advise against Taurus - the designs are good, but the quality control is generally pretty bad. I know people that had to go through 8+ factory replacements before getting one that worked reliably.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kiron123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143989 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:41 pm »

I think my new puppy got a parvo and I think it's my fault...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143990 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:17 pm »

Both subcompacts, with hers in a more powerful cartridge. That would give her a much louder gun and significant blast. Makes sense.

I'd advise against Taurus - the designs are good, but the quality control is generally pretty bad. I know people that had to go through 8+ factory replacements before getting one that worked reliably.
I have also heard reports of the 'splosions.

Which is quite worrisome.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143991 on: April 03, 2019, 08:53:21 pm »

That's a result of their poor quality control. There are a lot of stories about guns shooting their own barrels downrange, firing when shaken, revolvers that jam, and the occasional kaboom.

Basically, they cut quality control to the bone, and rely on a generous customer service replacement policy to compensate.

If you have one that works, there's no need to replace it. However, buying a new one is a poor idea, particularly when something like a Glock or S&W M&P isn't that much more new, and is usually available used for a comparable price.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143992 on: April 03, 2019, 09:39:28 pm »

Guns shooting their own barrels downrange
Wtf.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143993 on: April 03, 2019, 09:54:02 pm »

I mean, you’re pushing a button to trigger an explosion in a small space with the intention of forcing a piece of metal out at supersonic speed; shit’s going to get dangerous.

You’d also expect manufacturers of such to prioritize safety (at least of the user hah) but hey, why let a little thing like that get in the way of making money.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143994 on: April 03, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »

I think my new puppy got a parvo and I think it's my fault...
Didn't got vaccines in time?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143995 on: April 03, 2019, 11:07:56 pm »

Couple months back, building maintenance dude replaced the fill valve in the toilet, ‘cause it was leaking. Flush is subsequently very poor, needing to be held down basically until the water is gone lest it don’t actually flush, and I then have to plunge the toilet every day.

About a month or so ago, I came home from work to find the maintenance guy and some other dude unloading three toilets from a truck, and taking them upstairs.

End of last week I receive a note under my door (apparently the exclusive means through which my building manager likes to communicate) informing me that they will be testing the smoke detector and checking the windows for fogging or some such, as preventive maintenance. This note also informs me the check will begin on Monday at 9am, and will happen between then and today. It doesn’t take 3 days to check if 20-odd smoke detectors are working, I thinks.

I return home from work yesterday to find what I assume are the old toilets that were replaced, in the foyer of the building. Most welcoming.

I return home from work today to find the same, and also bits of cardboard and a shop-vac outside my apartment door. Enter to find people working in the bathroom. Evidently they replaced the toilet, the showerhead, and added some really stupid aerator thing or whatever to the bottom of the sink faucet, one of these things that is stupidly high pressure and splits the stream into like 8 bits in a circle which makes it very difficult to actually wash your hands, while simultaneously spraying water everywhere in the vicinity.

Folks explain what they have done (except the sink faucet thing, I got to discover that myself) and how the new toilet differed from the old one. I overhear one of them ask the other about the smoke detector, which they assume is hardwired and presumably wasn’t tested prior to my arrival. They then ask if I’ve seen fogging over Winter, to which I say “I don’t think so” because it’s not exactly been anywhere near theist of things I need to give a shit about, and I really just want them to go away.

I am thus left to feel maintenance didn’t do what I was told they were going to do, and performed three tasks that I’m aware of that I was in no way shape or form prepared for them to do, particularly when the only thing that wasn’t working was something that was their fault in the first place, but otherwise bearable to live with.

Toilet is slightly higher than the old one and has an elongated bowl rather than round. I pooped in it and was underwhelmed. Seat digs into my thighs and is consequently uncomfortable. The flush is real good though, makes everything disappear quickly. Much wow. Will check out the shower tomorrow.

TL;DR my building manager is not very good fucking woeful at communicating and miscellaneous first world problems.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143996 on: April 04, 2019, 12:56:25 am »

Internet went out earlier.  Decided that since it was a very long time since I saw what windows considers troubleshooting I decided to give the windows troubleshooter a chance to figure out what was wrong.  I of course already knew that the problem was that the gateway was not getting a signal.  I was in the status page already watching it consistently fail to get the streams.

Start up windows troubleshooter.  No internet.  It thinks for a bit.  Taking a long time to figure out name resolution and successfully detects that the gateway router is not getting a signal!  Yay!  Windows troubleshooter determined the problem about 5 seconds slower than it took for me to figure out what was wrong.  I figured it was going to at least try resetting my wifi adapter a dozen times to fix a hardwired connection first.

Then I saw a button "Why can't I connect to the internet?"  I figured sure I'll see what that says.   I click that... and it immediately tries to load up the microsoft website in edge to explain to me.   Microsoft I was about to say you improved, but then you have this massive oversight?  Have the help screen try to load a webpage in the help when the only way to get there is if there's no internet so no webpages will load?   Come on....  (oh and it does not help that you ignored the default browser and loaded in edge anyway)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:05:18 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143997 on: April 04, 2019, 03:19:48 am »

I just applied for a three day 'Insight into Management' course. On one hand, CV-y goodness. On the other, the list of "fun" group activities looks unbearably happy-clappy.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143998 on: April 04, 2019, 03:37:21 am »

Hey scriver, are you part dyk? /poe

Women often remark on how noticeable my dyk heritage is. I feel it's a pretty big part of me.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143999 on: April 04, 2019, 08:02:31 am »

That's a result of their poor quality control. There are a lot of stories about guns shooting their own barrels downrange, firing when shaken, revolvers that jam, and the occasional kaboom.

Basically, they cut quality control to the bone, and rely on a generous customer service replacement policy to compensate.

If you have one that works, there's no need to replace it. However, buying a new one is a poor idea, particularly when something like a Glock or S&W M&P isn't that much more new, and is usually available used for a comparable price.

Hers works beautifully. I'm taking the chance on mine because it was only 175USD which is absurdly cheap. Also my dad has the same model and it's functioning well, so either I'm in a good area or we're lucky. In any case I'll still have my Ruger, so even if I have some issues I won't be weaponless.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9598 9599 [9600] 9601 9602 ... 11040