Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9538 9539 [9540] 9541 9542 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513192 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143085 on: February 24, 2019, 09:23:22 pm »

My left side is red on my head. My ear especially is very flushed. Good thing I'm seeing a doctor in the morning.
Are you becoming Radical Left?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #143086 on: February 25, 2019, 05:26:07 am »

I went upstairs to brush my teeth 6 times and got 5 different things before finally actually brushing my teeth
thincake

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143088 on: February 25, 2019, 08:16:32 am »

Maybe I need to add a whole extra hour to my already early waking-up time on workdays. Or maybe just stop being such a lethargic slob. Fark.

Option 3: Shift work.

When you start at midnight, the whole day is your wake-up routine.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143090 on: February 25, 2019, 09:36:09 am »

Na zdrowie?

EDIT: As an aside, I saw someone linking this commentary on neoliberalism earlier.

Now, is it just me, or... Is this thing really rather difficult to read? I mean, I can read it, but I'm having a hard time getting any real meaning out of the words. I'm not sure how enlightened I feel by the whole affair, or that I could now accurately describe what exactly neoliberalism is.

It looks like somebody swallowed a book on buzzwords, then vomited it into the internet.

I don't know. I'm having no problem reading any of that. It's quite clear. There are some big words but the meaning is clear. even for a sentence like this:

There was, from the beginning, an inevitable relationship between the utopian ideal of the free market and the dystopian present in which we find ourselves; between the market as unique discloser of value and guardian of liberty, and our current descent into post-truth and illiberalism.

the utopian ideal of the free market

... refers to the (very real) neoliberal and right-wing libertarian veneration of the concept of markets to almost religious level of zeal.

the dystopian present in which we find ourselves

... Trump, Brexit and all the stuff going on now

the market as unique discloser of value

... refers to the neoliberal / libertarian belief that only markets expose the true value of something. It's "unique" because they claim any other non-market mechanism must be a distortion of the "true value" of the things. Which only markets reveal, apparently.

guardian of liberty

"markets = freedom", basically. Very common part of the neoliberal rhetoric. Anything that impedes markets whatsoever is "anti-freedom". If people are starving and you hand out food, you're screwing over the market for people who currently have all the food, so you're a freedom-hating commie.

our current descent into post-truth and illiberalism.

Kind of speaks for itself. The big picture from the article however is that neoliberal ideas aren't just some obscure economic policy ideas relevant to banks and governments, it's a "lens" through which society is viewed: a paradigm. The language and abstractions of corporate markets are applied to literally every facet of life, and to do otherwise is viewed as you being a luddite or an apostate. for example, in neoliberalism, you view religion as a marketplace, so the lens is that individuals "freely decide" which religion they want to be based "maximizing the value that the choice delivers" to the individual for choosing that religion. Concepts like self-sacrifice for some greater good become unthinkable in a paradigm like this, so we almost go crazy thinking about people who sacrificed their life for some ideal (whether that's a nation or a religion or anything else), since they obviously didn't maximize their "market self value" like good honest right-thinkers: since all men are corporations, and what corporations do is maximize the value for their shareholders (which is yourself in the individual example) then self-sacrifice is clearly crazy-think. Machiavelli's The Prince is the basic life-guide for everyone from corporate chairmen down to kindergarten kids in this new paradigm.

As for the "descent into post-truth and illiberalism" this is coming from both sides of the political spectrum, and is largely a reaction against the current paradigm mentioned in the article. Both sides have different rhetoric to describe the problem however.

I'll cite for example Ariele Schlesinger, the feminist tech evangelist, who wrote that designing human-machine interfaces on the basis of usability and/or efficiency is "capitalist". Which sounds bizarre, since there's no capitalist mechanism at work in using metrics to design a good UI system, but what she was calling out was really the value-system that underlies how we talk about things always using the language of the market: it's been so ingrained that we cannot perceive how we could not use that language to describe things. We talk about "time management" and "efficiency" and being "organized" in our daily lives, which are corporate-speak.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:59:03 am by Reelya »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143091 on: February 25, 2019, 10:00:41 am »

Pretty much what Reelya said. It's exceptionally clear to me what that excerpt meant.

That said, for the last four years I've been immersed in an academic environment, which drills into you how to understand and talk like that (to the point that sometimes I end up confusing some people and need to find a new way to explain myself).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143092 on: February 25, 2019, 11:06:47 am »

Clear to me too - though again, academia.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143093 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:17 am »

The issue with “the utopian ideal of the free market” is that people exploit the everloving shit out of it. The farmer with three bushels of grain, being paid as though he had one isn’t getting shafted by a government any more than he’s getting shafted by the multiple grain intermediaries who zealously guard the stats for supply and demand of grain.

I mean to anyone who thinks AnCap might work, they need only look at DeBeers diamonds.
Humans are just as awful at capitalism as at communism.

Also yeah it hurt my eyes to read. Been a while since I was a student though.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143094 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:41 am »

The piece is rather critical of AnCap philosophy, but uses a lot of glorifying language to describe the position that neoliberalism comes from.

Thing is, it takes a really long time and a shipping container full of flowery prose in order to actually get around to describing what exactly these different points are. At least to my eye.

It just looks like someone who very much enjoys the sound of their own, er, voice.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143095 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:13 am »

So is neoliberalism just the “soft right” to social democracy’s “soft left”?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143096 on: February 25, 2019, 11:39:33 am »

No, neoliberalism is so hard right you swerved off the road right
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143097 on: February 25, 2019, 11:43:26 am »

Roads? Where we're going, we won't need afford roads!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143098 on: February 25, 2019, 11:51:15 am »

Roads? Where we're going, we won't need afford roads!

The free market will provide roads. Maybe if you sign this indentured servitude contract here, you'll be allowed to use the roads!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143099 on: February 25, 2019, 11:58:27 am »

Oxygen is a clear example of the tragedy of the commons. people breathe freely, not caring about the amount of oxygen they consume. We should privatize all oxygen supplies so that people will optimize how much they breathe.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:03:54 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9538 9539 [9540] 9541 9542 ... 11037