Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9482 9483 [9484] 9485 9486 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14523657 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142245 on: January 28, 2019, 02:21:37 pm »

What's the matter with it?

whats right with online dating
Lots. I can meet very specific kinds of people (queer people) without the anxiety and uncertainty of asking someone out IRL. Heterosexual people might even be offended just because you ask if they're gay. With online dating there's much more certainty with people's intent. Finding gay people IRL isn't easy unless you want to go to bars, school clubs are better but that's not an option for queer people who aren't students. A lot of trans people like online dating for the same reasons. This doesn't apply to me but some queer people don't want to be outed, and initiating dating IRL involves outing yourself, and for some people depending on their situation might not just be anxiety-inducing that is actually dangerous for them

That's not my experience in the slightest.  As a hetro male my profile may as well not exist.  A vast majority of profiles/messages (assuming you even get messages, and the site actually lets you read them) have little to no effort put into them, to the point you have nothing of substance to actually make conversation with.  Even if you have something to say, good luck actually getting it read as girls get hundreds of them and of course the system obfuscates everything.  Even if they actually read it and replied there a high chance of ghosting outright.  Half the female pop is fake bots or women just interested in collecting likes to flick the clit of their ego than actually do anything.

The sad fact is that if it actually worked with any consistency whatsoever the company would lose its customer base and fail overnight.  I'd get better results folding valentines into cute little paper airplanes and throwing them blindly out the window.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142246 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:26 pm »

I sat wrong and my right lower neck/ middle shoulder muscles are cricked.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #142247 on: January 28, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »

That's not my experience in the slightest.  As a hetro male my profile may as well not exist.  A vast majority of profiles/messages (assuming you even get messages, and the site actually lets you read them) have little to no effort put into them, to the point you have nothing of substance to actually make conversation with.  Even if you have something to say, good luck actually getting it read as girls get hundreds of them and of course the system obfuscates everything.  Even if they actually read it and replied there a high chance of ghosting outright.  Half the female pop is fake bots or women just interested in collecting likes to flick the clit of their ego than actually do anything.

The sad fact is that if it actually worked with any consistency whatsoever the company would lose its customer base and fail overnight.  I'd get better results folding valentines into cute little paper airplanes and throwing them blindly out the window.
What are the het women supposed to do, stop het men from from firing likes their way? You're right that some women are selfish the same way some men are but the way you're wording it is super unnecessarily vitriolic towards women. Women have the exact same complaints you do about men, in their view, not putting effort into their messages. In a lot of cases a woman might have it no easier than you do even though she might appear to you to be spoiled for choice because picking through the messages to find ones that are appealing takes real effort. Heterosexual trans people have even experienced this from both sides.

And yeah, it makes people feel good to get likes on dating apps/sites, I won't hate anyone just for enjoying the attention, because I like it when people like me too.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142248 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:01 pm »

I'd get better results folding valentines into cute little paper airplanes and throwing them blindly out the window.
Probably because that's the cutest shit ever.
Seriously, do that on Valentine's Day, it'd be awesome.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142249 on: January 28, 2019, 02:50:48 pm »

I got a bit jaded with the chicks I met on the dating site I used to use. I actually did put a lot of time and effort into my messages, and 80% just fell into the void anyways. Sometimes I did get a response, but that response was occasionally "how high are you to think that we would ever match? Why the fuck are you even messaging me?", which didn't exactly encourage me to keep putting my heart into things. And as for being messaged first, I think I was actually contacted a whole twice over my 2 years of using the service.

Makes a guy want to try Bumble, it really does.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142250 on: January 28, 2019, 03:00:50 pm »

You are all missing the true purpose of dating apps: Datamining. Reminds me of an American-Swedish joint military exercise where the Swedes were convinced the Americans were listening to their communications because in the exercises the Americans could always determine where the Swedish units were positioned, and so launch artillery in the war games on them. What had happened however was that one American lieutenant had realised there were a lot of pretty ladies in military uniform apparently nearby, so he gave one of his men his phone and said drive out 10 miles and write down the distance that the app was saying. With these two numbers it was simple to find out where they were on the map and call in an artillery strike on what were either Swedish forces or partisan fashionistas

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142251 on: January 28, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »

What are the het women supposed to do, stop het men from from firing likes their way? You're right that some women are selfish the same way some men are but the way you're wording it is super unnecessarily vitriolic towards women. Women have the exact same complaints you do about men, in their view, not putting effort into their messages. In a lot of cases a woman might have it no easier than you do even though she might appear to you to be spoiled for choice because picking through the messages to find ones that are appealing takes real effort. Heterosexual trans people have even experienced this from both sides.

And yeah, it makes people feel good to get likes on dating apps/sites, I won't hate anyone just for enjoying the attention, because I like it when people like me too.

I'm saying is that 99% of the time there is no quantifiable difference in how much effort I put into a message.  Nothing happens.  The result is the same because it boils down to flailing around hopelessly to stick out among millions of near identical messages.  On top of that there's no incoming messages or even views, everything needs to be your effort.  It often begs the question of if there really is anything out there at all.

And there are people on these sites whose sole goal is just gathering likes.  They have no intentions of dating or even talking to people.  Its just to stroke ego and waste everyone's time.

Really my grievance is that, that's what modern life IS now.  Job hunting is exactly the same.  You carpet bomb the entire local area in resumes, and even getting A RESPONSE, not even a positive one, a response is a miracle at all.  And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142252 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:29 pm »

So, my package tracker finally updated. The last update was "loaded for further transport" on Thursday evening, with the estimated time of arrival being six o'clock on Friday. Today it finally updated, with a new "loaded for further transport" coming in at 12:56, followed by an update of "on vehicle, in transit" at 2 PM.

Estimated time of arrival is still last Friday. I'm not sure how they're gonna pull this one off, but I believe in them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142253 on: January 28, 2019, 03:34:41 pm »

Step one to online dating: be attractive.
Step two to online dating: have a colossal ego and forceful personality with which to club the objects of your desire into submission.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142254 on: January 28, 2019, 03:35:56 pm »

Step one to online dating: be attractive.
Step two to online dating: have a colossal ego and forceful personality with which to club the objects of your desire into submission.

It worked for the president
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142255 on: January 28, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »

Really my grievance is that, that's what modern life IS now.  Job hunting is exactly the same.  You carpet bomb the entire local area in resumes, and even getting A RESPONSE, not even a positive one, a response is a miracle at all.  And there's just no alternative anymore, it just shouting at brick walls all the way down until you discover there's no place for you in modern society and finally just off yourself.
Move to a smaller town. Both job hunting and dating is easier, as there's simply less to pick from on either end.
You may need to dial down your expectations for both, but then again, that's how it had always been for nearly everybody before 'modern life' arrived on the scene and inflated everyone's superego.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142256 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:26 pm »

Move to a smaller town. Both job hunting and dating is easier, as there's simply less to pick from on either end.
You may need to dial down your expectations for both, but then again, that's how it had always been for nearly everybody before 'modern life' arrived on the scene and inflated everyone's superego.

Moving isn't free.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142257 on: January 28, 2019, 03:41:12 pm »

I don't want to jump to immediate conclusions, but I think my brother and his girlfriend may have drank my entire bottle of whisky.

My entire, $70, bottle of whisky, in two days. I'll be a little bit annoyed if that's the case.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142258 on: January 28, 2019, 03:47:00 pm »

I don't want to jump to immediate conclusions, but I think my brother and his girlfriend may have drank my entire bottle of whisky.

My entire, $70, bottle of whisky, in two days. I'll be a little bit annoyed if that's the case.
They'd better name the baby after you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142259 on: January 28, 2019, 03:49:00 pm »

Moving isn't free.
Nothing is. But neither is it especially dear.
Pages: 1 ... 9482 9483 [9484] 9485 9486 ... 11037