Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9479 9480 [9481] 9482 9483 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524247 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142200 on: January 27, 2019, 07:25:39 am »

If you think the US is a dystopia, you probably shouldn't ever visit South America, Asia, or Africa. You might have a stroke.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142201 on: January 27, 2019, 07:32:09 am »

to see people here willing to engage in the online harassment of a stranger

I only see one person. Who is also the one who brought the topic up as a non-sequitur.

🤔

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142202 on: January 27, 2019, 07:34:42 am »

Also I find it worrying to see people here willing to engage in the online harassment of a stranger on the word of another stranger. I really hope that's not the majoritary feeling around here
That was a bit jarring. I was onboard with the verbal abuse plan, but the stalkery doxxing was definitely a bit much. :P

Also, I am aware that the whole world is basically various levels of dystopian. That comment was mostly a joke, although I do tend to hold the US to something of a higher standard.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142203 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:24 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:50:09 am by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142204 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:58 am »

Also I find it worrying to see people here willing to engage in the online harassment of a stranger on the word of another stranger. I really hope that's not the majoritary feeling around here
That was a bit jarring. I was onboard with the verbal abuse plan, but the stalkery doxxing was definitely a bit much. :P

Also, I am aware that the whole world is basically various levels of dystopian. That comment was mostly a joke, although I do tend to hold the US to something of a higher standard.

Agreed. I didn't think this was that sort of community. Let's not even contemplate that idea again.

And the US is slightly less dystopian than is average in some ways, but also we're number one as far as prison population so... But we got Netflix, so that's cool.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142205 on: January 27, 2019, 07:54:32 am »

Dattopia.
*confused* Do I miss some joke here, or you're just going absurdist on my ass?
Well, you have dys topia over here, and den dere's dat topia over dere...
I'm finding the stuff being said in this thread ridiculous.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142206 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:47 am »

Where is that coņo de madre pendeja from?

She and her sister are Puerto Rican. There's a lot of Hispanic women working there, from several different backgrounds. Not all of them are bad, other than the blatant theft I described(and many don't do that even). The only reason she was promoted to supervisor was because she can translate between Spanish and English, despite the fact that she's not the only one who can, and most of them do understand English well enough that people can usually understand one another.

And trying to learn some retorts in Spanish probably isn't going to help, since that would make it seem I'm specifically learning these specifically to "harass" them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #142207 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:00 am »

Agreed. I didn't think this was that sort of community. Let's not even contemplate that idea again.

And the US is slightly less dystopian than is average in some ways, but also we're number one as far as prison population so... But we got Netflix, so that's cool.

Less than 15% of African countries have what you might consider a functional democracy. In every other case, it's either a straight-up dictatorship, essentially a failed state, or elections/politics in general are so heavily rigged that they may as well not be there.

There's not even enough infrastructure to have a prison population in most of the worst places. Or internet access. Or electricity. Or running water.

In summary: people think the US is a dystopia because they no longer actually know what a terrible situation is. Which is great! Not knowing what a terrible situation is, that is. But... if you think the US is slightly less dystopian than average, you have a really badly skewed impression of the average. The US has plenty of flaws, and I personally wouldn't want to live there, but... yeah.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142208 on: January 27, 2019, 09:09:24 am »

In other news, anyone else heard about the AI that whomped a couple StarCraft 2 pros?

(Note: there's a lot of dead room in the video, but there are a few commenters with helpful timestamps. There are also some rather fun discussions about the AI's neural net and decision making behavior scattered in and around the fluff)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142209 on: January 27, 2019, 09:24:27 am »

In other news, anyone else heard about the AI that whomped a couple StarCraft 2 pros?

Hah, what kind of pros are they if they can't even comp-stomp properly?

I joke. We're all screwed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142210 on: January 27, 2019, 09:35:56 am »

The dystopian decline of the US started ages ago.  Its telling when most decisions are driven primarily by how we can generate profit off of it within the next immediate quarter.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142211 on: January 27, 2019, 09:51:35 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:49:56 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142212 on: January 27, 2019, 10:13:15 am »

You think living in a Orwellian dystopia is bad? Try living on a Orwellian Anarchy (if that's even possible)!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142213 on: January 27, 2019, 10:22:35 am »

"Big Second Cousin Once-Removed is watching you."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142214 on: January 27, 2019, 10:24:26 am »

You think living in a Orwellian dystopia is bad? Try living on a Orwellian Anarchy (if that's even possible)!

Orwellian utopia!

You are being watched... For health problems.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9479 9480 [9481] 9482 9483 ... 11037