Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9439 9440 [9441] 9442 9443 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537702 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141600 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:49 pm »

I admit that it is an awkward sentence, but I mean exactly this set of relations

I am an aid.
I am male.
Events like this, make people think that aids, that happen to be male, are dangerous.
I am not dangerous, and find this set of events horrific.
I greatly dislike the kind of implication that is created by this event's existence.

As horrifically any normal person might feel about this event, (because, quite frankly, it is monstrous) I feel even MORE horrified by it, because of this obscene and outright wrong implication it casts, which affects me personally.

Again, though--- I am an insider to the often overlooked world of LTC settings.  Family members can be either pure sympathy for their elders/relatives and their need for care that they cannot provide--- OR, They can be horrific and unfeeling monsters that care only about themselves, and anything in between.

I have personally observed some circumstances enabled or orchestrated by family members that I feel warrant the existence of hell (And I mean literal, biblical hell) for the kinds of things they put their family members through. HIPAA requires that I cannot discuss them here, however.  I have already satisfied my requirements as a mandatory reporter, and that is all the further I can go, unless official investigations are opened, and I am interviewed by a police officer. Trust me, I would LOVE to name and shame, but it is simply not legal for me to do so.

When I say, without hesitation, that "It might not have been staff", I mean that seriously, and with all gravity.

Here's a hypothetical for you to chew on--

Say the woman in question was married, and the two were madly, deeply "I am fucking addicted to you!" levels of in love with each other.
The husband is financially, skillset, and time-management wise incapable of seeing to her now exponentially greater need for care. Reluctantly, he puts her into an LTC setting.
The husband visits her ever day, and asks for private time with his comatose wife.  Who in their right mind would deny that? Right? ....

Given that the husband was "I am addicted to you!" levels of head over heels for her, her status as a comatose persistent vegetative patient is impossible for him to process. She is not dead, and he still loves, and more importantly--- CRAVES her -- and he develops a deep seated neurotic condition, that culminates in irrational thoughts about continuing a relationship with a person that is effectively incapable of consenting to anything, at any time.

He secretly sleeps with his comatose wife, in the "Private" time he spends with her, to satisfy that internal fantasy, which is easier for him to process than her vegetative state.

The supposition that family is above reproach in these kinds of matters is absurd.  Statistically, sexual assault is fantastically more likely to perpetrated by a closely associated person, than it is by a total stranger.  Family would thus, be fantastically likely to engage in such an act.  This notion is just so repugnant, that feeling human beings want to distance themselves from it.

As a care giver, my responsibility is to the patient under my care.  Sometimes that does mean protecting them from their own family members.

That is not to say that I don't think perverts work the system to find perfect victims that can neither fight back nor report wrongdoing, by becoming care givers. It DOES happen.

I am merely pointing out that this is not necessarily the only, or even the first line of thinking that should be explored.  Personally, I feel that the infant should be DNA screened against the male care giver pool, *AND* against family, to identify the bastard responsible, and then the full weight of the law should be leveraged.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:39:41 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141601 on: January 08, 2019, 02:44:00 pm »

My wife is a med-tech and has dealt with some extraordinarily unpleasant things as well, I'm not literally there but I've heard the first-hand accounts. You have my sympathy, and I continue to be impressed that people like you and she go back to work every day.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:47:50 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141602 on: January 08, 2019, 02:46:25 pm »

For the record, Weird, I got also confused for a moment as I usually see it spelled "aide".
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141603 on: January 08, 2019, 02:57:29 pm »

I will never understand how people will happily pay ridiculous sums of money for "distressed" garments that are damaged to the point of impracticality.

Recently heard a podcast which taught me A: Stonewashing denim is basically an environmental catastrophe.
B: Even “normal” denim is stonewashed to heck.
Makes me feel like trying to get my hands on a pair of raw Levi’s but naturally because they use less time and resources they have to cost ten times as much.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #141604 on: January 08, 2019, 03:45:31 pm »

Can I have a banana for scale?
Sure, there you go:

Jesus christ i nearly died
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141605 on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »

Yeah, when referring to a person, it's "aide". "The aide gave aid to the AIDS patient".

And yeah, I am also very impressed by those who manage to keep up that line of work, especially without becoming sociopathic shells of themselves. One thing is all the shit you have to deal with on a daily basis (made even more concentrated by the eternal staffing shortage), but it's entirely something else to get blamed for all the other shit that happens and which you have absolutely no say in.

Can I have a banana for scale?
Sure, there you go:

Jesus christ i nearly died
Thankfully it's fake, but yeah. Definitely something that infects the fabric of your nightmares.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141606 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:50 pm »

Yeah, when referring to a person, it's "aide". "The aide gave aid to the AIDS patient".
Remember South Park's 'Jared has aides'?
I was fat until I got aides. I want all kids to have aides.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141607 on: January 08, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »

Precisely! And then Jared aided some kids with their sexual awakenings.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141608 on: January 08, 2019, 05:17:39 pm »

My wife is 4'10" 90lb/40kilo, will not argue with you for fear of hurting your feelings, is basically comprised of 80% politesse and 20% good feelings, and also is going back to school to do the same work (hospice, dementia/otherwise severe medical care) she does now but with infants because secretly she is made of 100% emotional adamantium and is capable of simply continuing forward unabated through literally anything she feels she has a need to. I can't even handle it when my kid has a cold I feel so bad for him.

Politely and with kindness, of course. Also she once knocked a grown man flat on his ass in a Wawa parking lot who suggestively pinned her against her car and I've just sort of been internally cheering since that event.

Anyway my WTF is that my bread went moldy after like 2 days what is up with that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141609 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:36 pm »

Put 'er in the fridge. Also try and avoid handling too much of the bread with your bare fingers, we've got all SORTS of weird shit on our hands, including plenty of mold spores...

Fridge is really what does it though. Huge difference in longevity, at the price of having slightly cold bread.

Still though, two days is an awfully short time... it's quite possible it had a growth to begin with that just got large enough to be seen within a couple days. Dunno.

And your wife sounds lovely, and I do not envy her working with intensive care infants. I'm the type who's always said that "I love animals, so I could never be a veterinarian"... Can't handle seeing anyone or anything in pain.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141610 on: January 08, 2019, 05:30:29 pm »

Hold on, I thought fridging it made it worse?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141611 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »

Hold on, I thought fridging it made it worse?
Mold? No. There's a story perpetuated by bakers that storing bread in the fridge will make it lose flavor/go stale quicker, and while that's not entirely incorrect, the most pervasive problem with keeping bread for long periods is the mold. And putting bread in the fridge will absolutely cripple mold.

I mean, it'll still grow, but at about 15-25% of its normal rate, at best.

If your bread dries out or goes a bit stale, sprinkle a few droplets of water on it and stick 'er in the oven to bake for a few minutes, it comes out like an entirely fresh loaf. Best effect if you use metal skewers to make it heat all the way through.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141612 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:28 pm »

I stick bread in the fridge all the time and nothing comes of it. A loaf is usually consumed within 2 weeks though.

Now, putting bread into a teleporter...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141613 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »

I was just joking, but you never know with Russia.  They could well be testing new agents clandestinely. ...

As for my own WTF... I read this today.
https://www.vox.com/2019/1/7/18171012/arizona-woman-birth-coma-sexual-assault-metoo

I happen to work in a LTC facility, and this disturbs the fuck out of me.

I wonder what they'll tell her if she wakes up out of her coma and learns that she has a child.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #141614 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:37 pm »

I stuffed a loaf of bread in the freezer when i first got to college and it was still good a year later.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 9439 9440 [9441] 9442 9443 ... 11037