Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9437 9438 [9439] 9440 9441 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537506 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141570 on: January 07, 2019, 09:26:47 am »

Customers making me really weary already on a Monday morning.  I know we need them to pay our bills, but when you tell them something is preliminary, and you give them an updated release and they don't want to change to it but then ask why the preliminary version doesn't do what they want...

*sigh*
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141571 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:45 am »

On the other hand, this means that marketing is not doing its consumer product research properly, and or, the development team's goals are at odds with the desires of their customer base.

Even with free software, this is disastrous.  See also, "Why did Gnome 3 suck so much balls, and cause the majority of their user base to jump ship?"

(Specifically, if there are features in a preliminary release that are considered "Legacy" by the developers, but "Essential" by the users, you WILL have problems.  Remember Microsoft and the ham-fisted clusterfuck that was the start screen? Yeah. Don't go there.  As for users not understanding that "Beta versions of software are **NOT** intended for production!" well, that's just morons being morons.)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:40:10 am by wierd »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141572 on: January 07, 2019, 03:37:12 pm »

It's better than that... and worse.  We make custom embedded products, not retail - so our customers are engineering departments.

We gave them an early release that hadn't finished full verification so they could do development in parallel. We subsequently finished verification, addressed bugs, etc.  For some reason they want to keep using the early release, and are asking "how can we qualify it for production" but the answer of "use the final release that has all the testing and bugs addressed" doesn't seem to satisfy them.

I don't even know how to address the confusion of ideas that's going on...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141573 on: January 07, 2019, 04:46:30 pm »

That's very much "Beta versions are **NOT** intended for production!"

You know, because beta versions have not undergone full QC, are full of bugs and unfinished features, etc.  Things you do not want in a finished product.

A more astute person would inquire-- "What is it about the release version that you find unacceptable?"

If the answer is "We have to validate on our end again", remind them, once more that "Beta versions are **NOT** intended for production!", and that betas and release candidates are intended to speed development, not replace it; they should not put the cart before the horse. (EG, DO NOT do final QC on their end, against a beta or release candidate--- DUH.)

If the answer is some specific issue, ask them to file a bug report or a feature request.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:50:14 pm by wierd »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141574 on: January 07, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »

I will never understand how people will happily pay ridiculous sums of money for "distressed" garments that are damaged to the point of impracticality. Like... you want to wear ratty clothes as a fashion statement? Good for you! Just pop into the nearest department store or op-shop, pick up something cheap and go to town on it.
Not only is it cheaper, you'll have something actually unique.

Also, what is it with models and having ridiculous amounts of tattoos? It seems surprisingly common. Don't get me wrong, I love tattoos, but those tacky script tattoos are utter garbage, and to put them (amongst other seemingly random markings) on your face... *shudder*
These are good-looking folks who would once have inspired jealously with their appearance, now they just look daft. I guess one could hope that said tattoos are fake, put on purely to appeal to "mumble rappers" or whatever other degenerates count as the target audience of these Instagram ads*, but... considering that some of these shots appear to have been taken a fair amount of time apart and the tatts remain the same, I doubt it.

* target audience - yeah, whatever the target demographic is, I'm guessing Yours Truly is not part of it, ha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141575 on: January 07, 2019, 05:45:43 pm »

I will never understand how people will happily pay ridiculous sums of money for "distressed" garments that are damaged to the point of impracticality.

I know some skinheads in Sydney who will distress your garments for free.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141576 on: January 07, 2019, 06:20:42 pm »

That sounds... distressing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141577 on: January 07, 2019, 06:52:27 pm »

That sounds... distressing.

They saved me 60 bucks, minus the $2347 medical bills.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141578 on: January 07, 2019, 10:36:02 pm »

Can I have a banana for scale?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141579 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:45 pm »

Can I have a banana for scale?
Sure, there you go:
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141580 on: January 08, 2019, 12:18:47 am »

No. NO!
Love, scriver~

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141581 on: January 08, 2019, 03:40:55 am »

Windows 7 and it 260 character maximum path limit, it cut the mustard back when we had 8.3 filename limits.
But in 2018 i have folder D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband\New folder\Warsword Conquest Winds of Magic Edition Beta and its just too long to copy some stuff from.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #141582 on: January 08, 2019, 04:03:51 am »

It snowed were I live last night. That's rare but not a WTF by itself.

What made me go WTF was the amount of people that would prefer to walk on the ice and slip than divert their path by 1-2 meters where there was a clean path with no ice or snow.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141583 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:46 am »

Possibly trying to prevent the inevitable widening of the ice path, as is what happens when the borders get trampled down and melted? I'm pretty sure that's why a lot of Norwegians do it. If they think they can survive making the ice crossing, they'll leave the virgin footpath territory for others who need it more, so that there will still be some emergency side-snow left after a couple weeks.

My WTF is just an open question asking what kind of person uses a large pasta pot to boil instant noodles, flavorings and all, to then pour off what can fit into a soup bowl and throw out the rest. The whole inside of the pot is covered with droplets from the oil packet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141584 on: January 08, 2019, 04:19:47 am »

Windows 7 and it 260 character maximum path limit, it cut the mustard back when we had 8.3 filename limits.
But in 2018 i have folder D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband\New folder\Warsword Conquest Winds of Magic Edition Beta and its just too long to copy some stuff from.

There might be a work-around. :P

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/FileIO/naming-a-file#maxpath

Failing that, you could temporarily use subst to make a drive letter attached at a directory, and avoid a deep path that way.

subst X: "C:\Folder1\Really Long Path\Such Recursion\So Deep\Wow"
Pages: 1 ... 9437 9438 [9439] 9440 9441 ... 11037