Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9433 9434 [9435] 9436 9437 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14543862 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141510 on: January 03, 2019, 03:35:17 am »

So, I've accidentally pressed "Music" when browsing my Steam library, and I almost died from shock; EVERY sound file from Civ V is listed there!

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141511 on: January 03, 2019, 04:03:59 am »

And that's one of the reasons it's so jarring when you accidentally hit the "start playing music" hotkey. Suddenly there's this symphony of sound effects playing in the background.

EDIT: There's a "friend of a friend" on Facebook whose posts keep popping up in my feed, because everyone needs to listen to this dork highlighting and singling out every line of a random bible passage as though it's this profound and meaningful utterance, and then immediately after posting a link to "Anarchapulco: The biggest meet and greet for anarchists and libertarians anywhere!"

Also I don't think I've ever seen Muslims referred to as "Muhammadians" before.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #141512 on: January 03, 2019, 06:58:15 am »

I just discovered that Amaranthe has a cover of Army of the Night. Stylistically it... feels like a pop band covering Metallica or something. The music's not bad, it's just that it sounds very, very different as soon as you change away from an opera singer belting out the lyrics like a crazed fanatic. O_o

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141513 on: January 03, 2019, 08:00:41 am »

Also I don't think I've ever seen Muslims referred to as "Muhammadians" before.
Pretty sure I have, though I can't recall the context. Given where I live it's probably not flattering :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141514 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11:06 am »

I'm not sure I've seen it with that suffix but it's just another variant on "follower of Muhammed", just like how Christian is "follower of Christ". A bit aged perhaps but not an insult.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141515 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22:03 am »

The greatest school. Tremendous even.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141516 on: January 03, 2019, 09:28:45 am »

I'm not sure I've seen it with that suffix but it's just another variant on "follower of Muhammed", just like how Christian is "follower of Christ". A bit aged perhaps but not an insult.
I've seen it in the context of an insult, though it was something close to "Mahometist" instead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #141517 on: January 03, 2019, 09:29:02 am »

I've seen a similar term in Spanish, "mahometano". It might be interpreted as vaguely derogatory I guess. Then again the Spanish version of "muslim" would be musulman, which in German is highly offensive, apparently. Thing with the "offensiveness" of language is that it's so ambiguous, context specific and changing that pretty much anything goes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #141518 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:13 am »

"musulman" is the litteral translation of "muslim" in french, and is absolutely dictionary-grade descriptive. It just means "muslim". Same with "mahométhan", means "follower of muhammad". Absolutely descriptive with no value judgement, altho this one is less used.

"Islamiste" is derogatory tho.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:55:04 am by Cathar »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141519 on: January 03, 2019, 10:05:08 am »

"musulman" is the litteral translation of "muslim" in french, and is absolutely dictionary-grade descriptive. It just means "muslim". Same with "mahométhan", means "follower of muhammad". Absolutely descriptive with no value judgement, altho this one is less used.

"Islamiste" is derogatory tho.
I was basing what I said off of portuguese where "muçulmano" is the correct term and "maometista" is exceedingly rare, but I've seen it used as an insult about two times total.

Bigots prefer to just call them terrorists instead nowadays.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141520 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:28 am »

Bought a nice new laptop with a fingerprint reader. While I didn't get it especially for that feature, it did feature somewhere in the decision making process as it seemed like a fun, more secure, and faster way to login than entering a longish password.
Turns out, Windows 10 will only allow you to setup a fingerprint login if you also setup a 6 digit pin login, and any later attempt at disabling the latter will also disable the former (why, for fucks' sake, why?). So, you can have your faster and more secure way to log in only if you also enable a less secure and slower (no numpad) one.
What dimwitted committee got paid to think this one out?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #141521 on: January 03, 2019, 11:38:08 am »

I mean, you still need to log in if the fingerprint reader isn't working.
As for why pin instead of password, beats me. I guess it's so you can have something to type in that isn't related to your main MS password.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141522 on: January 03, 2019, 11:58:31 am »

It’s because fingerprint reading or the idea that “all fingerprints are unique” is a complete myth, not supported by any scientific research.

So they want you to enter a PIN as well so that they’re not culpable if someone gets in.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141523 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:59 pm »

It’s because fingerprint reading or the idea that “all fingerprints are unique” is a complete myth, not supported by any scientific research.

So they want you to enter a PIN as well so that they’re not culpable if someone gets in.
No, it's either or. I can log in with fingerprint only, or PIN only.

I mean, you still need to log in if the fingerprint reader isn't working.
Yeah, but why not let people have password as the backup?
(I know we're on the same page, I'm just venting)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #141524 on: January 03, 2019, 01:03:58 pm »

You can set the pin to allow letters as well, in which case it just becomes a local password.
Pages: 1 ... 9433 9434 [9435] 9436 9437 ... 11037