Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9425 9426 [9427] 9428 9429 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544679 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141390 on: December 26, 2018, 01:51:39 pm »

Give it a few more years and it will be. If no one's running it, it cannot crash.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141391 on: December 26, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »

XP and 7 are both very "stable", in normal use.  That's certainly a nice change from 95 and 98.  But XP, even service pack 3, always had plenty of instabilities if someone was trying to disrupt it.  Instabilities which were often exploitable.

XPSP3 *was* getting patched monthly (or faster) as the exploits were discovered, but that stopped a long time ago.  It's up to antivirus solutions to try and keep the OS stable, mostly by reacting to easily-obfuscated code.

The fact that so many businesses are unwilling to abandon it, and it's very popular in certain countries due to its lack of copy protection, just makes it more attractive to attack.  I think companies which use XP don't expect their computers to resist attacks with any reliability, but they hope their networks can contain such attacks.  There's no "perfect" security without very simple machines, but using XP is not a good idea IMHO.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141392 on: December 26, 2018, 02:35:54 pm »

An OS which is explicitly unsafe and, in fact, quite possibly the least safe OS that exists at this point.

No, there are still Win9X systems in active deployment; They are used to control a number of older-model CNC based vinyl cutting machines. The companies that made the machines refuse to make updated drivers for the control boards that drive the machine, and so .....

Isn't Windows XP basically the most stable Windows OS outside of like, 98? I'd probably prefer it over any other windows for running a business unless I had fancy software to run that required a more modern OS.

NO. NT4 SP6 is the most stable.  Granted, it cant run anything modern, has no plug and play hardware support, has no Fing clue what USB is, etc.... But getting it to crash is very very hard.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:37:37 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141393 on: December 26, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

Isn't Windows XP basically the most stable Windows OS outside of like, 98? I'd probably prefer it over any other windows for running a business unless I had fancy software to run that required a more modern OS.

NO. NT4 SP6 is the most stable.  Granted, it cant run anything modern, has no plug and play hardware support, has no Fing clue what USB is, etc.... But getting it to crash is very very hard.

I imagined you standing up suddenly and your chair flying back as you said NO and began to espouse your point. It was very good imagery.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141394 on: December 26, 2018, 03:17:46 pm »

Meh, if it floats your boat.

But I really meant it in the bland emphasis modality of "WHAT."  In this case though, it is "NO."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141395 on: December 26, 2018, 03:29:07 pm »

The fact that so many businesses are unwilling to abandon it, and it's very popular in certain countries due to its lack of copy protection, just makes it more attractive to attack.  I think companies which use XP don't expect their computers to resist attacks with any reliability, but they hope their networks can contain such attacks. 

We at least have to use it to run certain pieces of lab equipment, but we keep them air gapped.

It's a good solution insofar as we have a nigh limitless stockpile of dirt-cheap replacement machines and the system requirements are utterly fixed, though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141396 on: December 26, 2018, 03:31:07 pm »

Meh, if it floats your boat.

But I really meant it in the bland emphasis modality of "WHAT."  In this case though, it is "NO."

Don't ruin my fun.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141397 on: December 26, 2018, 03:48:54 pm »

I mean, the Norwegian military first cleared Windows XP as the new OS for their internal computer systems in 2011... So, yeah. Just because standard consumer support has been dropped doesn't mean that there aren't still certain organizations using the thing.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141398 on: December 26, 2018, 03:53:13 pm »

Xp still runs on an awful shitload of painfully critical systems, like banks, ATM's, industrial plants and whatnot.

If you don't plug it on the internet, have a good UPS and disallow USB from being plugged (as well as any kind of other ways of getting data on the pc like CD/dvd, diskette bays or memory card readers) you should be fine.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141399 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28:31 pm »

I feel like reviving an LP of mine that's been dead for two entire years. Why, me, why?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141400 on: December 26, 2018, 06:36:41 pm »

I feel like reviving an LP of mine that's been dead for two entire years. Why, me, why?

Link us, so that we might mock you properly offer respectful helpfulness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #141401 on: December 26, 2018, 06:50:32 pm »

I bet it’s Star Wars.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141402 on: December 26, 2018, 06:53:02 pm »

Certainly not going to do it now. Can't even run the game because the replacement motherboard has yet to arrive. (It's this LP by the way)

If I decide to go through with this madness, I'll probably play through it all in advance, do the screenshot editing, etc before posting anything.

I bet it’s Star Wars.
You are right. Here's 5 credits. Don't spend it all in one place.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141403 on: December 26, 2018, 07:03:20 pm »

Certainly not going to do it now. Can't even run the game because the replacement motherboard has yet to arrive. (It's this LP by the way)

If I decide to go through with this madness, I'll probably play through it all in advance, do the screenshot editing, etc before posting anything.

I bet it’s Star Wars.

Aw we would never actually make fun. You should start it back up so i can make post-it note art of it. You even have lil' portraits next to the dialogue.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141404 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:07 pm »

I bet it’s Star Wars.

Aw we would never actually make fun. You should start it back up so i can make post-it note art of it. You even have lil' portraits next to the dialogue.
I probably will at this point, but I expect it at the earliest next week. Probably going to change some decisions around while replaying up to the point I stopped because I think I was going to fail my self-imposed neutral challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 9425 9426 [9427] 9428 9429 ... 11037