Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9409 9410 [9411] 9412 9413 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548670 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141150 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:19 pm »

The one that takes the cake is Rule of Rose, a horror game for the PS2. A ton of misinformation was spread by tabloid media and then politicians that it featured under-age sexuality and BDSM themes, which wasn't in fact true according to a number of people who actually played the game. As a result, that game was buried hard, and a PS2 copy of the game goes for hundreds of dollars on ebay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Rose

Prior to its publication, Rule of Rose was the subject of a moral panic in Europe.[24] At E3 2006 Atlus announced that it would be releasing Rule of Rose in the United States,[25] following Sony's decision to pass on an American release, as the game "wasn’t really in sync with their corporate image" and the company had wanted the game to "be a bit tamer, if it were to have the Sony name in the U.S."[2] The developers disagreed with this, saying that "the theme is supposed to be one of intimate familiarity" and that they had intended to portray how children behave "without the filter of guilt or sin."[2] Rumors of violence towards children in the game tied into a larger discussion of morality and violence in video games appeared in the Italian magazine Panorama in November 2006, and were quickly picked up by the British media, which alleged that the game had scenes of "children buried alive underground, in-game sadomasochism, and underage eroticism."[24] These allegations were untrue.[24] At the time, Rule of Rose had already been rated by various video game advisory boards as suitable for an older teenage audience: in Japan, it was rated 15+; in the majority of Europe, 16+; and in North America, 17+.[24]

European Union justice minister Franco Frattini attacked the game as containing "obscene cruelty and brutality." He also called for changes to the PEGI rating system in place across Europe and for government officials to engage in discussions with industry representatives.[26] Frattini received a letter from Viviane Reding, commissioner for the information society and media, who criticized his actions: "It is...very unfortunate that my services were not pre-consulted before your letter to the Ministers of Interior was sent out," reminding him of the commission-backed self-regulating ratings system called PEGI that has operated across the European Union since 2003. The PEGI system of classification, according to Reding's letter, offers "informed adult choice" without censoring content: "This is in line with the Commission's view that measures taken to protect minors and human dignity must be carefully balanced with the fundamental right to freedom of expression as laid down in the Charter on Fundamental Rights of the European Union."[27] On March 7, 2007, a group of Member of the European Parliaments presented a Motion for a European Parliament resolution on a ban on the sale and distribution in Europe of the game and the creation of a 'European Observatory on childhood and minors'.[28] The game was further suggested to be banned for sale in France,[29] and to be kept from the public in Poland.[30] At this time, the game had not yet been released in Europe; the public officials suggesting that Rule of Rose be banned had not played the game, only having read about its alleged content or seen the trailer.

It kinda seems like games bring out this thing of people being outraged about something they haven't actually seen, but then I remember people are easily outraged by movies they haven't seen and books they haven't read.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:10:58 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141151 on: December 17, 2018, 07:08:29 pm »

Lots of people got enraged at unseen aspects of Fallout 2 in its time, too... Specifically the German version.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141152 on: December 17, 2018, 07:09:04 pm »

I heard once that 50 Shades of Grey wasn't about painting in greyscale and lost my shit. Normal human behavior.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141153 on: December 17, 2018, 07:12:56 pm »

The main thing that enrages me about 50 Shades of Grey is that whenever I mention one of my old favourite books I feel the need to say "...nothing to do with that other book of course," because its title is similar enough that a less literal-minded person than myself might think I was actually just abbreviating the name of the other book and condemn me as a disgusting sexual deviant with horrendously poor taste in literature*. :'(   

* feel free to guess which of those condemnations I would find more distressing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141154 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »

50 shades is nothing. 255 shades of grey.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141155 on: December 18, 2018, 01:37:10 am »

It's not even a nice whole number.  It's a tossup if you want to go less or more to reach a nice one, like 32 or 64 shades.

Keeping your math clean is very useful, after all.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141156 on: December 18, 2018, 02:36:30 am »

16-bit shades of refracted grey
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #141157 on: December 18, 2018, 03:56:29 am »

Lots of people got enraged at unseen aspects of Fallout 2 in its time, too... Specifically the German version.
Isn't the German version specifically modified to be less violent to get past local censors?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141158 on: December 18, 2018, 04:16:29 am »

I believe they removed all children.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141159 on: December 18, 2018, 04:18:15 am »

Isn't the German version specifically modified to be less violent to get past local censors?
Yes. One of the things they did was try and censor the rather controversial aspect of harming/killing children, which you could do ingame (sure, you got a massive permanent penalty to interacting with pretty much anyone in the world, but it was still possible).

Now, you can't just remove children from Fallout 2, there are too many attached triggers and dialogues and whatever, there'd be a lot of cleanup and cleanup is hard... So how did they censor the violence against children?

Easy: They made all children invisible.

Now just try and avoid an incessant pickpocket you can't talk to, see, or target with an attack... And you'll understand why gamers were upset about unseen aspects of the game.

(yes that was a horrible setup and I apologize).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141160 on: December 18, 2018, 04:42:36 am »

Wow. It was bad enough in FO3, where they were extremely annoying and entirely invincible.
Any sane person would have blown McCready's fat little head off the second it popped up and started whining at them, but noooo.
...Actually my biggest gripe with all Bethesda games are the brick-shittingly stupid characters they choose to make invulnerable. I'm not the kind of player who just wanders RPGs killing folks for no reason; if a character pisses me off enough to kill them there's generally a damn good reason to.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141161 on: December 18, 2018, 04:51:26 am »

Honestly, even extreme annoyance probably isn't justification for murder.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #141162 on: December 18, 2018, 04:58:57 am »

Wasn't there a way to kill them anyway in FO3 by pulling the pin from a grenade and having them pick it from your pocket?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141163 on: December 18, 2018, 05:14:53 am »

Honestly, even extreme annoyance probably isn't justification for murder.
Are you for real? It's the apocalypse, you don't need to worry about justifying things. Also I doubt many Fallout (any #) players sit down before killing anyone and ponder whether the death would be justifiable, never mind if it's a character who actually gives them grief and causes inconveniences.   
You've just been conditioned to think that way in any case.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141164 on: December 18, 2018, 05:17:56 am »

-_-
Pages: 1 ... 9409 9410 [9411] 9412 9413 ... 11038