Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9406 9407 [9408] 9409 9410 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549888 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141105 on: December 15, 2018, 04:43:53 pm »

Work went well except for the following:
Got only a few minutes notice before being told that we're leaving an hour early.

One of the Spanish girls decided to push me out of the way. I was walking down the main aisle, stopped to double-check what I was carrying, and instead of doing something decent like saying "excuse me" and ask me to move, she just shoves me aside and yells "MOVE!".

This extreme loudmouthed asshole coworker(who apparently I'm related to somehow) started mocking me for being sick. Like holy shit, I'm barely capable of breathing right now, yet I still manage to drag my ass to work and do something useful, and you're going to mock me for that? If that's how I'm going to be treated, I'm going to just put my alleged sick days to use from now on.

OK, I will now teach you how to clean your nose.

I actually have one of those sinus irrigation things... actually I need to replace it since I used it once and never bothered to touch it again, and the label says to replace it 30 days after first use. Still have a bunch of the saline solution packets though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141106 on: December 15, 2018, 04:50:28 pm »

how the hell does an ISP even do that?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #141107 on: December 15, 2018, 05:33:25 pm »

Pretty sure that the ISP editing content on a page counts as a freaking man-in-the-middle attack on the connection between your computer and the web server. I'd immediately call a boycott on that company and move my business to its competitors.

This is like your water service provider deciding that every so often, your tap gives you urine instead of clean water and saying it's the same, just with a few extra ingredients added. Just like it's the water service's primary job to provide you with clean, unadulterated water, it should be the ISP's primary job to provide you with the exact content you request from the server and nothing else.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141108 on: December 15, 2018, 05:48:32 pm »

Or atleast advertise things that are relevant to what you're looking at. Go to Redtube and atop the screen there's "Need God in your life?"

I'm suddenly reminded of a book I read in HS where everyone was having these neural brain implants that basically gave them internet in their own brains, and besides the faulty implants giving people lethal infections in their brain stems, the only thing people complained about was all the ads running in their own minds all the time.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141109 on: December 15, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »

Man-in-the-middle attacks are rendered nearly impossible using SSL, so change the beginning of the web address to https:// and this should be prevented on any websites with an SSL certificate.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #141110 on: December 15, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »

Or atleast advertise things that are relevant to what you're looking at. Go to Redtube and atop the screen there's "Need God in your life?"
No, that's worse. Now the AI is not only editing your datastream, but also looking at it to act accordingly. Say this goes on the news, but curiously every page with that article appears to give a 404, even though users with other providers report that the page works for them. There'd be potential for some flat-out Orwellian social engineering shit, and potential like that is not something I want in the hands of a private company (and probably not the hands of a publicly owned non-profit, or anyone, really). It's just too abusable.

Though let's be honest here, ISPs are probably already collecting your browsing history, but at least the most they're doing with it is selling it to advertisers.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141111 on: December 15, 2018, 06:24:44 pm »

Man-in-the-middle attacks are rendered nearly impossible using SSL, so change the beginning of the web address to https:// and this should be prevented on any websites with an SSL certificate.
I almost suggested this, but bay12forums doesn't offer encryption ):
Going through an encrypted proxy would fix it for all sites, but those tend to be really slow unless you get a paid one.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141112 on: December 15, 2018, 06:27:08 pm »

...Wait, it doesn’t?

Not even on the login page?

This is somewhat concerning.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141113 on: December 15, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »

I meant that you can't browse the forum via SSL by prepending https...
I assume the login is encrypted, but I'd rather not logout.  I might not remember my password  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141114 on: December 15, 2018, 06:38:12 pm »

...Wait, it doesn’t?

Not even on the login page?

This is somewhat concerning.

Login specifically is protected, but the rest of the site is not. I get Not Secure warnings in my browser every time I'm formulating a post.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141115 on: December 15, 2018, 06:39:47 pm »

b12 is also the only site I know that reliably loads when 'the server crashes'.

Legit, b12 also gets blocked by some wifis too, even those that usually allow almost everything else.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141116 on: December 15, 2018, 10:46:18 pm »

Welp, today's sad just became a wtf. Left the house for work this morning and saw a dead cat outside our driveway. Usual story, the road claims another outside pet. Looked like one of ours, didn't have time to stop and really check.

I come home this afternoon and the one it looked like was dead was chilling on our porch as per (purr) usual. Apparently it was some other cat that could have been a twin to one of ours that got hit. I guess it's good (?) news since it means one of the friendly cats are still living...? Insofar as a cat dying can be good news. Less bad? I'unno.

Ain't ya ever heard that cats get nine lives?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141117 on: December 16, 2018, 12:04:35 am »

There was just a bit of an accounting error that took a while to be ironed out, that's all.   

Edit: trying to buy a phone online and my stupid bank is asking me for some one-time password that they apparently sent my by SMS. Jesus Christ. All these stupid security features I never opted into---

...oh okay, I was on hold whilst typing that but now it's all sorted.
I was spitting mad about it, but the bank employee had an adorably funny voice (or was it some accent I'm unfamiliar with?) so it was impossible to stay pissed off. Kind of like a female version of Viago from What We Do In the Shadows. Pretty cute haha. Hopefully that was a real bank employee.
Now my order is submitted and my payment is apparently being verified. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:40:39 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141118 on: December 16, 2018, 08:30:12 am »

So my Kingler wrestler redisign got like 200+ likes and is still growing. Kinda stunned since it's really not my best work but it's gotten the best reaction like, ever, dafuq :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141119 on: December 16, 2018, 09:17:49 am »

So my Kingler wrestler redisign got like 200+ likes and is still growing. Kinda stunned since it's really not my best work but it's gotten the best reaction like, ever, dafuq :V
Welcome to making content for the internet. :kappa:
Pages: 1 ... 9406 9407 [9408] 9409 9410 ... 11038