Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9403 9404 [9405] 9406 9407 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549955 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141060 on: December 13, 2018, 11:56:49 pm »

Any clue on how to cool it down or keep it from getting too hot in the first place? I don't own a desk fan or anything like that, so that's not much an option...

Pack ice around the tower.(not in, obviously.)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141061 on: December 14, 2018, 12:04:33 am »

Any clue on how to cool it down or keep it from getting too hot in the first place? I don't own a desk fan or anything like that, so that's not much an option...

Since this is a laptop, there are some after-market devices that were created in the era of the crotch-roasters.

Most modern laptops are designed with vastly more energy efficient chips, and as such, do not run nearly as hot.  However, this also means they are made with less aggressive cooling internally, and when thy DO get subjected to a heavy computational load, (such as a 4 way RTS battle with lots of units...) the underbudget cooling systems in them get overloaded.

Sadly, you cant give them better heatsinks, because of space considerations. However, you can use one of those cooling mats, and it will make a slight dent in the heat. (the issue is that the clamshell of the laptop is not able to effectively eliminate the heat generated inside. This is a design failing. The converse is that normal work loads do not generate that kind of heat to begin with, and the designer acted accordingly.  Meh.)

I often have similar trouble with my hacked chromebook.  Thing heats up pretty good when it is doing something other than looking at adorable cat videos; It was not designed to do much else.  I throw openMW at it, and it starts getting warm. It has no vent, nor any cooling fan. When I feel it getting warm, it is really roasting inside.  I have considered hard-wiring a small chipset fan in there.. but have resisted the urge so far.

A normal laptop will have actual cooling. It just might not be adequate for gaming.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #141062 on: December 14, 2018, 01:19:28 am »

Battle Brothers is actually a turn-based game.

As for the “Might not be adquate for gaming” statement... it kind of is explicitly a gaming laptop. Even if I was being lied to about that part (Which I kind of doubt) I’ve ran much more graphically intense games like Dying Light on this laptop and haven’t encountered any freezing issues on there so far.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141063 on: December 14, 2018, 02:44:16 am »

And they'll still spontaneously bounce up into your face and break your nose/teeth with their forehead. I have yet to get a dog not to do that, and that fucking hurts. It's like they reach a critical excitement threshold and must boing.

Really it's our own fault for not having our heads and ears down by the ground where they're supposed to be
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141064 on: December 14, 2018, 05:19:36 am »

You're all doing it wrong. (Note: My original "you're all dogging wrong" will be put in the bloopers section).

Either that or you're all smaller than me and thus within headbutt range, but even then I've rolled on the floor with many a dog. I'll get nipped, maybe a biiiit scratched, but never anything more.

I had my arms around her shoulder and neck and was rolling her over my prone body. She flopped her head up then down onto my face. We've played that way many times before, she just reacted a new way and clobbered me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141065 on: December 14, 2018, 06:44:06 am »

I hate dog

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141066 on: December 14, 2018, 06:48:54 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:14:46 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141067 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:58 am »

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141068 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:10 am »

Since people are discussing Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food, question for my fellow Americans.

How do you feel about the "Arby's is a gyro place!" commercials?

Mostly surprised at the "Arby's is...a place" portion of that sentence. Last I remembered, they were doing poorly-enough financially that they added deli-style sandwiches and declared themselves the adult fast food. Apparently they no longer do that, and it's 75% just shitty old roast beef.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141069 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:29 am »

They were doomed to failure after they decided against signing that juicy marketing deal with Microsoft.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141070 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:13 am »

Today has been decidedly less than the sum of its parts.
Got stuff done, bought some books (at least one of which seems to be a great read so far), but just... anxiety was going through the roof earlier and instead of feeling great like I was earlier in the week whilst accomplishing similar amounts of stuff I feel pretty freakin' awful. The only real noticeable difference about today is the weather, and I usually like the rain! It's not like I got soaked or anything, just a nice scenic drizzle that shouldn't have such an effect on my mood.
Weird.   

Caffeine? It's not super great for anxiety. Also, I recommend against combining most allergy pills with anxiety meds, as that causes all-day panic attacks. Benadryl (and similar allergy meds) seem to be fine.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141071 on: December 14, 2018, 09:15:14 am »

Today has been decidedly less than the sum of its parts.
Got stuff done, bought some books (at least one of which seems to be a great read so far), but just... anxiety was going through the roof earlier and instead of feeling great like I was earlier in the week whilst accomplishing similar amounts of stuff I feel pretty freakin' awful. The only real noticeable difference about today is the weather, and I usually like the rain! It's not like I got soaked or anything, just a nice scenic drizzle that shouldn't have such an effect on my mood.
Weird.   

Caffeine? It's not super great for anxiety. Also, I recommend against combining most allergy pills with anxiety meds, as that causes all-day panic attacks. Benadryl (and similar allergy meds) seem to be fine.

Crystal meth is also not good for anxiety.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141072 on: December 14, 2018, 11:16:55 am »

Caffeine? It's not super great for anxiety.
For real?! Interesting... if anything, though, I think I was on less caffeine than usual considering I had a doctor's appointment and at the last one my recent coffee consumption had apparently messed up my blood pressure.
I'm not on any kind of medication (yet), but thank you, I'll bear that in mind - though I doubt I would have any reason to be on allergy medication.   

Silly Kagus, I am always sure to get my amphetamines from reputable, i.e. prescription-level sources.       

I feel like I should mention my recent drunkenness and waking up perched on my desk chair here. Oh gosh I've no idea what I got up to.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141073 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:53 pm »

Caffeine? It's not super great for anxiety.
For real?! Interesting... if anything, though, I think I was on less caffeine than usual considering I had a doctor's appointment and at the last one my recent coffee consumption had apparently messed up my blood pressure.
I'm not on any kind of medication (yet), but thank you, I'll bear that in mind - though I doubt I would have any reason to be on allergy medication.   

Silly Kagus, I am always sure to get my amphetamines from reputable, i.e. prescription-level sources.       

I feel like I should mention my recent drunkenness and waking up perched on my desk chair here. Oh gosh I've no idea what I got up to.   
Heh. Blacking out can lead to anxiety too. I did it once, sobered up in the middle of a college class, panicked internally and left.

As for actual anxiety, it's been pretty heavily linked to depression, and weather can fuck you up good sometimes. There's a reason seasonal depression is seasonal. It strikes in the dark and/or rainy months.

You being Australian it's summer down there, but I dunno if it's your rainy season or not. That could spike anxiety.

Of course, it could just be a buildup of a million little things on your mind coming to a boil and it decided to boil over.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141074 on: December 14, 2018, 12:22:26 pm »

What the fuck did I just read.

No, I know what I just read... I just read a HuffPost opinion piece from a guest writer, which a middle-aged woman on Facebook used to reinforce her beliefs that "happy pills don't help, you just need to face your fears".

The woman's been either a librarian or a teacher for most of her life, you'd expect her to have a little more critical thinking. Or education. Or something.

In other news, my disability application has been approved... From January 1st 2019, I'm officially an invalid. I just got my public transit discount card, worth a 50% discount in ticket prices when presented alongside valid photo ID.

...Which is great fun, because that card is only issued to senior citizens over the age of 67, or people on disability. It doesn't specify which on the card, but I'm very obviously not 67+. Huzzah.

But hey, fuck it... I'm a parasite mooching off of our hard-working taxpayers anyways. If I didn't want to wear a mark of shame in public, I should've gotten myself a career.

Heh. Blacking out can lead to anxiety too. I did it once, sobered up in the middle of a college class, panicked internally and left.
Anxiety is also a pretty common symptom of a hangover. You can happily be anxious and twitchy all day without even having a headache, all depending on how your body's handling the alcohol it consumed. It's called "fylleangst" in Norwegian, "bender angst".
Pages: 1 ... 9403 9404 [9405] 9406 9407 ... 11038