Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9401 9402 [9403] 9404 9405 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550612 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141030 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »

I finally got to try falafel and schwarma.

I was... Expecting something different.

What is that middle eastern meat thing, the big vertical spit with tons of layers that the slice bits off and put it in pita?

Gyro?

Falafel is delicious, shawarma can be hit or miss, depending on who makes it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141031 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

What is that middle eastern meat thing, the big vertical spit with tons of layers that the slice bits off and put it in pita?

Gyro?

Did we not just have this discussion? I could've sworn...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #141032 on: December 13, 2018, 01:28:33 pm »

Gyro?

Did we not just have this discussion? I could've sworn...

We did.

That rotisserie thing is, so far as I’m aware, the ambrosia.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141033 on: December 13, 2018, 01:37:26 pm »

Falafel can also be very hit and miss, depending on who's making the falafel. Like, the normal kebab joint around here? Dreadful falafel... They have these frozen burger-like patties of falafel that they chop up into bits and transport past a heat source of some kind. No texture, feeble flavor.

But we just recently tried out another slightly-farther-away Drunk Cuisine location and they had a falafel wrap with much better falafel. Still not quite as crunchy as I like it, but it was at least spherical and spoke to a history of having been fried.

And the dude even managed to put enough hot sauce on that I noticed it! Which makes them... Pretty much the only such establishment in the city to achieve that.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141034 on: December 13, 2018, 01:49:47 pm »

Falafel can also be very hit and miss, depending on who's making the falafel. Like, the normal kebab joint around here? Dreadful falafel... They have these frozen burger-like patties of falafel that they chop up into bits and transport past a heat source of some kind. No texture, feeble flavor.

But we just recently tried out another slightly-farther-away Drunk Cuisine location and they had a falafel wrap with much better falafel. Still not quite as crunchy as I like it, but it was at least spherical and spoke to a history of having been fried.

And the dude even managed to put enough hot sauce on that I noticed it! Which makes them... Pretty much the only such establishment in the city to achieve that.
Bring your own hot sauce?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141035 on: December 13, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »

We tend to order take-away, so I usually just slather it in sriracha back home. Wasn't even necessary for that one!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141036 on: December 13, 2018, 02:35:26 pm »

Shower guys are done replacing the water-damaged shower.

We had a sliding door with a wide lip on top. That was the only shelving in the room. We no longer have a door. The maintenance guy says they only remove doors, they don't install them, and we'll need to buy a curtain and rod. Guess we're going shopping for shit we shouldn't need.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141037 on: December 13, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »

Falafel is made from chickpea and isn't really related to the others at all, besides commonly being served in fast food stands and drenched in garlic sauce.

However, to clear up the confusion, this is what I learnt last time we had this discussion:

Kebab means roasted meat (originally in Arabic! :P ) and is a common word used for many dish, much like "roast" or "roasted" is in English (unsurprisingly, I guess).

Döner Kebab, Shwararamama and Gyros is the same-ish dish in different traditions and/or langauges.

Döner: Means "turn" in Turkish, referring to the big rotating chunk of meat of course, and Döner (Kebab) is what Turks call dishes made with meat cut from the rotisserie, with or without bread.

Shawarma: Also means "turn" in Turkish, but with another word. This is the Levantine Arabic word for dishes made from the spit roasted meat.

Gyros: Means "turn" in Greek. What the Greek call the same. Often made from pork, presumably just to spite the Turks.

Shawarma and Gyros are more commonly served in bread than Döner, which seems to have a lot more non-breaded variants. Regardless I think all three are most commonly associated with the bread rolls outside their respective countries.

Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141038 on: December 13, 2018, 02:52:57 pm »

Also 'Tacos al Pastor', "Shepherd-style tacos" (?), where it's also made from rotisserie pork, but the meat has also been marinated beforehand to make it extra mm-mm. Supposedly came into being after Lebanese immigrants in Mexico started combining their heritage with the local tastes.

There is a similar dish from Puebla known as 'Tacos Árabes'... "Arab tacos".

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141039 on: December 13, 2018, 02:56:17 pm »

Since people are discussing Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food, question for my fellow Americans.

How do you feel about the "Arby's is a gyro place!" commercials?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141040 on: December 13, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »

Since people are discussing Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food, question for my fellow Americans.

How do you feel about the "Arby's is a gyro place!" commercials?

Don't you mean Araby?

"Shepherd-style tacos"

so racist, man!
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141041 on: December 13, 2018, 04:30:03 pm »

Everything was vastly overseasoned. The schwarma was okay but there was far too much dressing stuff, the falafel tasted like it was predominantly parsley, and even their hummus was barely hummus flavored.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141042 on: December 13, 2018, 06:46:17 pm »

Shepherd style.. but pork.
Ohhk

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141043 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:03 pm »

Shepherd style.. but pork.
Ohhk
"It is a poor shepherd who blames eats his flock."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141044 on: December 13, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »

I was just wrestling my dog and she headbutted the feck out of me. My lips are bleeding and swollen on the left side.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9401 9402 [9403] 9404 9405 ... 11038