Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9397 9398 [9399] 9400 9401 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14551529 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140970 on: December 10, 2018, 02:09:29 pm »

Rudolphgate should be enough of a sign that we've gone off the deep end as a culture:

https://www.boston.com/culture/movies/2018/12/03/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-backlash

But was the red-nosed reindeer marginalized? That is the premise of a HuffPost video posted Wednesday to Twitter that has been viewed more than 5.3 million times as of Sunday afternoon.

The video notes an instance in the film where Rudolph’s father “verbally abuses him.” The father of Rudolph’s love interest is called a “bigot” for forbidding his daughter from being seen with the red-nosed one. The video includes various reactions to the film from Twitter, one saying, “Yearly reminder that #Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is a parable on racism & homophobia w/ Santa as a bigoted exploitative” (the rest is not family-friendly).

Maybe it was meant as a joke, however Poe's Law is at work. It's not that far off from other things that people get legitimately freaked out by now. Which is everything.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:11:04 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140971 on: December 10, 2018, 02:18:17 pm »

Everything is related to my personal beliefs as they relate to my life in 2018. That's how real life works.

Also, Rudolph is obviously a story about accepting people for their differences and an encouragement to kids to find strength in their uniqueness. The only exploitative person in the story is the person trying to twist it into a negative things for attention on twitter.

It's this year's coffee cup outrage, just ignore it and it'll go away.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140972 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:36 pm »

It's this year's coffee cup outrage, just ignore it and it'll go away.
But I still hate cups of coffee...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140973 on: December 10, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »

Then put it in an ice-tray, freeze it, then shave into into a coffee snow cone. Then you can serve it ice cold, in a bowl. :D

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140974 on: December 10, 2018, 02:28:05 pm »

Then put it in an ice-tray, freeze it, then shave into into a coffee snow cone. Then you can serve it ice cold, in a bowl. :D
Alternatively, try cold brew. Less acidic, stronger bean flavor.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140975 on: December 10, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »

Alternatively, try cold brew. Less acidic, stronger bean flavor.

Can confirm cold brew is delicious and made easily in a french press overnight.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140976 on: December 10, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »

Parents are trying to get me to take on another monthly bill in my name so they can use my information/income towards getting a mortgage for a house. Right now all I pay for monthly is my internet bill. On the one hand, their promise of actually paying whatever bill that they want to put in my name(assuming it's one of their bills) is dubious at best. On the other hand, that will(damn better) put my name as part-owner in whatever house we do buy, which is pretty important. On the third, mutant hand, that will probably leave me dealing with the mortgage if they fail to keep up with it.

Oh, and that problem that I was having with my internet bill, there's a slight chance I forgot to pay it last month. I say slight because the page for paying the bill did say it received payment last month, but at the same time I had an account balance equal to one month's bill... right under were it also said I didn't owe anything. I went with the option to "pay the balance" rather than "pay your current bill" as the latter option wasn't working.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140977 on: December 10, 2018, 05:49:26 pm »

Never ever sign a mortgage unless you are able to make the entire payment without assistance.

Or, at least, hire a lawyer so you get the partial-ownership thing under a strong contract.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140978 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »

Call the internet provider and have them check the accounts. Payment errors do happen, and you don't want to be paying double or triple when there's no reason to do so. You especially want to make sure that one payment did make it through to them.

As for mortgage, stay way the hell away from that. There is entirely too much potential for your parents to royally fuck you over on something like that, and banks are not known for being particularly understanding of personal difficulties when they're owed something.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140979 on: December 10, 2018, 06:08:10 pm »

I will +1 that, especially the latter. If you don't expect they'll pay your internet or whatever when they say they will, most assuredly do not expect them to help pay for a mortgage.

Don't put your credit rating in someone else's hands, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140980 on: December 10, 2018, 06:31:05 pm »

Came home today to find someone had left a bag of frozen chicken out to thaw on the kitchen table thing. Unfortunately, they apparently promptly forgot it existed, as it had thawed to the point it was nearly room temperature, stewing in the various liquids that entails.

Mildly annoying, that, but more annoying was entirely failing to pay any attention whatsoever to the state of the chicken's bag on top of it. Which was leaking chicken juices. All over the kitchen table thing. A roll of paper towels were half soaked through, chicken juice over multiple square feet of tabletop, etc.

"Here begins and ends the short tale of Salmonella Man, whose superpower was dying of salmonella."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140981 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:51 pm »

My avatar is broken and it won't let me upload the black spider monkey I use everywhere else.

WTF forums?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140982 on: December 10, 2018, 08:38:49 pm »

If the address is https, just remove the s and it should work. Forum only likes http.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140983 on: December 10, 2018, 08:56:13 pm »

If the address is https, just remove the s and it should work. Forum only likes http.
Sometimes you also need to add the file extension to the end of the url. I dunno why, but there ya go.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140984 on: December 10, 2018, 09:58:37 pm »

What kind of link to an image doesn't have the file extension at the end?
Pages: 1 ... 9397 9398 [9399] 9400 9401 ... 11039