Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9388 9389 [9390] 9391 9392 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555222 times)

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140835 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:05 am »

Haha yeah me also

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140836 on: December 06, 2018, 11:27:17 am »

At the store today, there were a couple kids teenagers youths picking up some soda and candy after school, and the taller one, a ruddy-faced blond, was... being overly nice. Suspiciously nice.

I first noticed them when they passed by the older (I'd say somewhere in her 60's) woman in front of me in the checkout line, and while doing so the kid said "You're very pretty!" ("Så pen du var!" Translated: "How pretty you are!"). She was kind of caught up with getting her groceries sorted out, and didn't respond... So he repeated himself. "You're very pretty!", again, no response (she's probably heard at this point, but doesn't expect him to be talking to her).

He moves around to her other side and repeats "You're very pretty!". She's probably heard and understood that he's talking to her, but by now it's just gotten a bit awkward and uncomfortable.

Fourth time's the charm: "You're very pretty!", she turns towards him slightly. "Are you speaking to me?", "Yes! You're very pretty!", "Oh, um... Thank you?", and with that he smiles and goes on his way.

Later he's in line behind me, and starts saying "Hi there!". Third time's the charm for me, as I either didn't think he was talking to me (what with my being busy putting stuff on the belt and going through the checkout) or don't really want to deal with him. But he persists, so I turn and give him an affirmative nod, and he smiles back before turning his charms on the checkout girl and asking her about her day ("Have you had a nice day?", "I've had a tiresome day, I can tell you that much").

I dunno, maybe I really have lived here too long... Or maybe it was his tone of voice that I thought was a touch insincere... Or maybe it was the self-satisfied smirk he had whenever he got a response... Whatever the case, my main response to his sunny disposition was to wonder what his real motive was.

As a bonus WTF, Spotify's doing this "looking back" thing, and it told me how many minutes I've listened to music on their platform this year. ...doing this, it calculated that this year's listening showed a 2,147,483,547% increase compared to last year. "Talk about overachieving.", it commented.

Well, closest I can get is this thread.

Tried vegetarian "chicken" fillets from the same guys as the "mincemeat". Similar issue texture wise, it was just bizarrely chewy. Tasted decent, nothing like chicken, but decent. I think I worked out why it's so strange, too, and I think it's that it's made from wheat protein as opposed to textured soya protein, which has a much more meat-like consistency.

Ahh, adventures in seitan? Yeah, the stuff's bizarre, but I grew up eating it and now it's got this weird sort of "childhood comfort" association for me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140837 on: December 06, 2018, 02:15:43 pm »

Well, closest I can get is this thread.

Tried vegetarian "chicken" fillets from the same guys as the "mincemeat". Similar issue texture wise, it was just bizarrely chewy. Tasted decent, nothing like chicken, but decent. I think I worked out why it's so strange, too, and I think it's that it's made from wheat protein as opposed to textured soya protein, which has a much more meat-like consistency.
What brand was it?

@Kagus: classic Norway, being immediately mistrustful of anyone being friendly. :P
He does sound a bit odd, though. Maybe someone told him to be nicer and he decided to take it to extremes as a joke? Or maybe he has some issues and didn't think his behaviour was unusual? Or maybe he was just high and trying to spread the love. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140838 on: December 06, 2018, 02:27:06 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:15:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140839 on: December 06, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »

Well, they didn't mention bloodstains at least.

Also WTF is "rei"? Does that mean to bow, or?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140840 on: December 06, 2018, 03:59:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I expected strict, I wasn't expecting "Do anything wrong and you FAIL!" strict.
"Any student without a stick up their arse will not be eligible."
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140841 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:16 pm »

So I just had an interesting idea for my D&D campaign, but wanted to check if that was in fact how elves worked. So I picked up the player handbook and started flipping through it. I got frustrated when the entry on elves wasn't where I thought it was and flipped to the index at the beginning to find the actual page number.

I was instead confronted with a discrete mathematics formula sheet. I hadn't actually picked up the player's handbook, but my formal logic textbook. My WTF was that at no point did I notice that the book I was holding was the wrong size, wrong colour and had completely different contents.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #140842 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:51 pm »

Well, to be fair, the PH is a bit less of a stretch than most books for this case.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140843 on: December 06, 2018, 06:34:01 pm »

Well, to be fair, the PH is a bit less of a stretch than most books for this case.

For some of my textbooks, sure. But my formal logic one is about three times as thick as the PH. They're made of about the same materials, I guess.

Doing some studying for my finals and I'm looking over a sample final exam.

One of the potential answers to a question is "Your roomate asked you to drink milk on her desk". I'm, uh, not sure under what circumstances that would be correct.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140844 on: December 06, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »

Holy shit, Bongzilla is coming. :o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140845 on: December 06, 2018, 06:43:29 pm »

Quick get superhighman!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140846 on: December 06, 2018, 11:34:30 pm »

"Thank you for teaching me"
Oh boy that is not a 2018 attitude.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140847 on: December 07, 2018, 03:38:30 pm »

Computer was not always completing boot and freezing at post.  Usually trying again it boots right up, but it's an odd issue.  That seems like a power supply problem I think.  Look it up, yea power supply problem.  But hmm how will I test the power supply when I no longer have a multimeter?

My WTFs.  I forgot I literally have a program on the computer that measures the power supply voltage while running.  And 2, how the hell is this computer running AT ALL if it's only getting 7 volts on the 12 volt rail.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140848 on: December 07, 2018, 04:31:48 pm »

Huh. Initial look into rackmounts -- which seem like the way to go for basically-a-laptop you plug into another computer -- show them to be, like, stupidly expensive. 500+ bucks for a 17 inch LCD with integrated keyboard. You can very literally buy entire fully functional laptops for that.

Makes me feel like I've got to be missing something. I just want a monitor I can put on top of a bed without it falling over, which you'd think there'd be a market for but fuck if I can find it. Someone has to have figured out LCD with a wide base and enough weight to keep it stable is a good idea, right?

E: Like, there's stands coming out our collective asses, and plenty of tables and crap, but nothing that goes, "Look, I want this flimsy ass LCD to sit like a motherfucking CRT." Which is increasingly irritating because, having lived for a while with a CRT plugged into a laptop and both on my bed is basically what I want. Though a bit better balanced would be good. Laptop basically, just with the non-I/O stuff in a proper tower.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:39:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140849 on: December 07, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

Huh. Initial look into rackmounts -- which seem like the way to go for basically-a-laptop you plug into another computer -- show them to be, like, stupidly expensive. 500+ bucks for a 17 inch LCD with integrated keyboard. You can very literally buy entire fully functional laptops for that.

Makes me feel like I've got to be missing something. I just want a monitor I can put on top of a bed without it falling over, which you'd think there'd be a market for but fuck if I can find it. Someone has to have figured out LCD with a wide base and enough weight to keep it stable is a good idea, right?

E: Like, there's stands coming out our collective asses, and plenty of tables and crap, but nothing that goes, "Look, I want this flimsy ass LCD to sit like a motherfucking CRT." Which is increasingly irritating because, having lived for a while with a CRT plugged into a laptop and both on my bed is basically what I want. Though a bit better balanced would be good. Laptop basically, just with the non-I/O stuff in a proper tower.
You could probably craft your own stand for way, way less than the asking price there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 9388 9389 [9390] 9391 9392 ... 11039