Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9384 9385 [9386] 9387 9388 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556138 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140775 on: December 05, 2018, 02:54:17 am »

We do have the technology. The only problems are legal. For example, there are automated sentry guns in the Korean DMZ able to detect, identify and aim at targets, but instead of shooting, they alert a human operator to "pull the trigger" so that we don't need to wonder who's responsible for any deaths caused by the guns.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #140776 on: December 05, 2018, 02:59:13 am »

Goddamn aimbots ruining the pvp.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140777 on: December 05, 2018, 03:19:07 am »

We do have the technology. The only problems are legal. For example, there are automated sentry guns in the Korean DMZ able to detect, identify and aim at targets, but instead of shooting, they alert a human operator to "pull the trigger" so that we don't need to wonder who's responsible for any deaths caused by the guns.

Well, that version works on the same level as a landmine if you don't have an operator available. It sees a human, it shoots a human. That's why you put them up at the DMZ, and not, say, a military base.
Part of my wondering is at what point the technology gets good enough that you can legally own one in Texas.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140778 on: December 05, 2018, 03:25:39 am »

Is it illegal to have an automated turret in texas?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140779 on: December 05, 2018, 03:27:29 am »

I don't know, but I don't know where you'd buy it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140780 on: December 05, 2018, 03:52:58 am »

Well, that version works on the same level as a landmine --  Part of my wondering is at what point the technology gets good enough that you can legally own one in Texas.
The Ottawa Treaty bans anti-personnel mines due to their indiscriminate nature: you can never be sure that a non-combatant won't step on the mine. (Neither Korea is a signatory, though.) I doubt such weapons that kill anyone who steps in their line of fire will ever be civilian legal anywhere, just as you can't buy sarin gas at your local gunstore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140781 on: December 05, 2018, 05:30:04 am »

Ok so no guns.

...Fully auto-reloading automated movement detecting sentry gun tazer?  Just keep firing and reloading tazer darts until no more motion is detected while telling the target to stay still. That seems safe reasonable legal not-a-gun.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140782 on: December 05, 2018, 05:38:13 am »

Tasers still have the unfortunate downside of the darts needing to stay connected to the launcher in order to deal their shock, so it would end up getting pretty clogged after a couple targets.

There are gas pellets that explode into a puff of teargas on impact, which I don't think counts as chemical warfare since they use it on civvies all the time... Or just load 'er up with rubber ball ammunition and let the bruising commence.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140783 on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:41 am »

Tear gas actually does count as chemical warfare by international treaties, but the police of a nation using it against its own citizens isn't considered an international issue. Getting a civilian license for it isn't inconceivable, though those pellets that puff into capsaicin (i.e. chili pepper) might be easier to get a hold of.

Rubber bullets may cause broken bones and internal bleeding, so they aren't exactly a "non-lethal" weapon. I still wouldn't trust them in a sentry gun.

As for the taser requiring a connection, there is a bleeding-edge option in the form of the electrolaser: a laser creates a channel of plasma in the air, through which an electric shock can be conducted to the target. If it turns out to be a viable technology, they could replace tasers in the coming decades.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140784 on: December 05, 2018, 06:54:23 am »

Star Wars style stun circles when
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140785 on: December 05, 2018, 07:43:11 am »

I suppose freezing intruders in carbonite would qualify as "not escalating the situation".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140786 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:01 am »

Am I the only one going “it’s Norway, just answer the door?”
Unless you’ve specifically made an enemy of someone crazy recently; it’s likely a salesman.

Y’all be paranoid.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140787 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:40 am »

No, we'll be paranoid when we start setting up the tripwires and pressure plates.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140788 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:58 am »

Am I the only one going “it’s Norway, just answer the door?”
Unless you’ve specifically made an enemy of someone crazy recently; it’s likely a salesman.

Y’all be paranoid.
This is a locked apartment building, solicitors shouldn't be able to get inside. The only other times anyone has ever buzzed our door before has either been my GF's sisters visiting (which follows a heads-up that they're coming), or a drunkard calling every apartment in sequence in order to find someone who'll let them in (the door buzzers are so loud that you can hear it when the neighbor gets called).

And it's precisely that; it's Norway. Direct personal contact is avoided at every possible opportunity. Door-to-door salesmen are abhorred on a cultural level and have been phased out due to nobody wanting to talk to strangers, let alone buy something from them. The idea of some strange person coming to your own door and talking to you on your threshold is the stuff of nightmares, not a keen way of getting your foot in the door.

But yes, GF is being a bit paranoid. But I'm not allowed to answer the door because she's afraid of what might happen or who might be there. It could be a forceful home invasion and one or both of us could get seriously injured, or worse, someone could see how messy it is in here and think poorly of our housekeeping capabilities.

Also the dogs will go flying out the door at the first opportunity if they think someone is out there waiting to pet them, and they need to be physically restrained.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140789 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:15 am »

Oh wait the house is messy?
Yeah draw the blinds and mute the TV. If they wanted to see you they would have called ahead.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9384 9385 [9386] 9387 9388 ... 11039