Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9375 9376 [9377] 9378 9379 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558063 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140640 on: November 29, 2018, 11:56:47 am »

"Dünnig-Kruëger effect" is over three syllabes unfortunately, I wish I could help

Edit : Woops you had it before I do. Had a look at it. It's facebook grade memes, good lord
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:10:27 pm by Cathar »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140641 on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:17 pm »

Heh, i had it in, but edited it out then you mentioned it, and I thought you were refering to my mention, so put it back in. But yours has umlauts so it's better.

Dunning Kruger might really be true here, about these reddit /r/iamverysmart people:

The people bagging on the nine-year-old who tried but failed the college-entrance exams didn't seem to realize that the kid's actually really, really smart. He's 19 years old now and he's a lecturer at the university now despite not passing the exams and not actually attending university or high-school, and they're talking like he only got the job because of some sort of favoritism.

All they can see is that he's someone who failed an exam, so he must actually be dumb by their logic, and the university lecturer job must be some sort of sham or easy job. They're not able to even grasp at what an extraodinary brain the kid must have.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:16:10 pm by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140642 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:13:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140643 on: November 29, 2018, 12:24:30 pm »

The Dunnig-Kruëger effect scares the shit out of me I'll be honnest. Every now and then, I ask myself "what if I'm too dumb to assess how dumb I really am, everyone knows it and I'm the only one not to realize it, wow that'd be embarassing".

He's a lecturer in what field by the way? Do you have a link to his lectures ?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140644 on: November 29, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »

For the record, the reddit thing reads:

"genius" kid fails exam, "the education system has failed me"

Which makes him sound a right douchebag, right? But here's the context:

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/national/no-spm-so-boy-genius-is-stuck/ar-BBQd0VK?li=BBr8Cnr

Adi Putra first shot to fame at the tender age of six when he was found to be able to solve difficult mathematical equations.

The 19-year-old is a part-time lecturer at Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris near Tanjung Malim, and is in a nationwide educational tour teaching students mathematical formulae under his Adimatik programme.

Despite his gift in mathematics, Adi Putra did not obtain any secondary school-level academic qualification such as SPM or A-levels as he found the system too restrictive.

His attempt to take A-levels in 2009, when he was aged nine, failed as he had taken on too many subjects which included Physics, Mathematics and Additional Mathematics.

“The education system has failed me because besides having to attend classes at school and lectures at university, I was burdened with a lot of assignments to be completed,” he said.

So, when he says the system failed him, it's because he was already at a university-education level at age nine but they failed to provide any sort of suitable plan for him to get into higher education without sitting through a shitload of pointless classes and such. So he skipped out and pursued further education on his own, but now he lacks certain paperwork needed for the courses he does want to do. Sure, he could have avoided some problems by just sitting through all the highschool classes like a good boy, but wouldn't that just be wasting a lot of talent?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:52:46 pm by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140645 on: November 29, 2018, 01:16:40 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:12:59 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140646 on: November 29, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »

So, when he says the system failed him, it's because he was already at a university-education level at age nine but they failed to provide any sort of suitable plan for him to get into higher education without sitting through a shitload of pointless classes and such.
Huh, definitely some sympathy there. Didn't have the drive or was that far ahead, but I was starting in on high school level mathematics around 4th grade, ran into a teacher that wouldn't let me substitute the higher level work for their math class, and ended up basically saying fuckit to math in general for like the next decade or more. Wasn't a chance in hell I would have managed both workloads and it's a hell of a lot easier to just underperform instead.

Didn't really catch back up to my younger years in terms of general proficiency and comfort until around college, heh. Probably will never mess with much of anything besides accounting level algebra type stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140647 on: November 29, 2018, 01:35:27 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:12:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140648 on: November 29, 2018, 02:04:52 pm »

Ah, jokes on you smart kids ! I was always a cretin ! Who is laughing now ?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #140649 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »

and this is why manga characters have big ass eyes
I'm not sure what you've been reading, but in my experience manga characters usually have their eyes on their faces.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140650 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:57 pm »

The brown eye grants the gift of pink eye.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140651 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but in my experience manga characters usually have their eyes on their faces.

You've been reading mangas right to left arn't you ? You've been holding the books upside down

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #140652 on: November 29, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »

Berserk, probably.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140653 on: November 29, 2018, 02:28:21 pm »

Kagus, why aren't you freaking out? You're still in your hindsight dream.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140654 on: November 29, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I'm not the only completely unrelated person who got this video recommended to them.

I... Did not expect to enjoy Mongolian rock as much as I did.

Kagus, why aren't you freaking out? You're still in your hindsight dream.
When hindsight turns to insight, all you see is booty. I'm okay with this.
Pages: 1 ... 9375 9376 [9377] 9378 9379 ... 11039