Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9371 9372 [9373] 9374 9375 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558760 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140580 on: November 28, 2018, 08:11:17 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what point you're arguing, here. Do you mean hunting "isn't exactly what you'd call some great improvement" over farming?   
If so, I agree. But at least the hunted creatures presumably lived their lives, free, in their natural habitat beforehand - just look at whaling and the huge outcry about it, which is really kind of ridiculous when you consider half the people protesting it probably go home and tuck into a ham sandwich or some shit.

No idea what your second paragraph is trying to say.
The Earth is overpopulated to the point of being pretty much unsustainable? I don't think anyone would seriously argue against that.

To me farming and killing non-self-aware animals is completely ethical, given that they aren't even aware of their own pain. Most farmed animals aren't even aware that they're in captivity, so they're completely indifferent to whether they live their lives "free" or on a farm.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140581 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:02 pm »

To be fair, whaling is pretty shit. Most animals, you shoot them once or slit their throat. Whaling? Well, whales are too big for that, so you shoot them with a harpoon, let it tire itself out trying to swim away while it's got the harpoon stuck in it, then pull it out of the water.
So, giant fishing?

Whales are more intelligent though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140582 on: November 28, 2018, 08:35:33 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what point you're arguing, here. Do you mean hunting "isn't exactly what you'd call some great improvement" over farming?   
If so, I agree. But at least the hunted creatures presumably lived their lives, free, in their natural habitat beforehand - just look at whaling and the huge outcry about it, which is really kind of ridiculous when you consider half the people protesting it probably go home and tuck into a ham sandwich or some shit.

No idea what your second paragraph is trying to say.
The Earth is overpopulated to the point of being pretty much unsustainable? I don't think anyone would seriously argue against that.

The two big ethical differences between farming and whaling is that 1. Whales are far more intelligent and 2. Cows, pigs and chickens are nowhere near extinct, while whales all (or at least almost all) were at one point and many are still at risk today

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140583 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »

To be fair, whaling is pretty shit. Most animals, you shoot them once or slit their throat. Whaling? Well, whales are too big for that, so you shoot them with a harpoon, let it tire itself out trying to swim away while it's got the harpoon stuck in it, then pull it out of the water.
Quote from: Moby Dick
His motions plainly denoted his extreme exhaustion. In most land animals there are certain valves or flood-gates in many of their veins, whereby when wounded, the blood is in some degree at least instantly shut off in certain directions. Not so with the whale; one of whose peculiarities it is to have an entire non-valvular structure of the blood-vessels, so that when pierced even by so small a point as a harpoon, a deadly drain is at once begun upon his whole arterial system; and when this is heightened by the extraordinary pressure of water at a great distance below the surface, his life may be said to pour from him in incessant streams. Yet so vast is the quantity of blood in him, and so distant and numerous its interior fountains, that he will keep thus bleeding and bleeding for a considerable period; even as in a drought a river will flow, whose source is in the well-springs of far-off and undiscernible hills.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140584 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »

Yeah I think it's a conservation thing.
Probably also intelligence, but it's weird that the intelligence of an animal isn't a firm line but a sliding scale. Is monkey too smart for me to eat? Probably. Dog? Maybe also. Or maybe I just don't like eating carnivores.
I've worked with sheep before and consider them irredeemably stupid. Do I do that because it's true, or because it makes them easier to eat? Cows are fairly smart, but I still eat them.
Turns out people are just predators. We eat what is easy and tastes good, just like any other predator. We're just self-aware enough to put abstract rules and limits on it.

Which begs a question of how many predatory ominovres actually exist in nature.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140585 on: November 28, 2018, 08:52:33 pm »

Bears, chimps.... a large number of birds that are predatory and subsist on meat will also regularly eat plant matter...

Plenty of those around depending on what acceptable ratio of plant/animal matter you consider to be omnivorous.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140586 on: November 28, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »

I mean. Most of them? They're omnivores by dint of predating on something, so long as they're not strict carrion eaters I guess.

They just aren't very many apex predator ones tooling around that I can recall.

Now, if you're talking primarily predatory, I don't think there's many of those (or at least non-insectivore ones? Maybe fish eaters, too.). Most of the point of being an omnivore is being able to eat whatever can't get away from you at the moment, and the stuff that fits that category tends to be plant life of some sort or another so the diet tends to be supplemented by meat rather than dominated by it, current environment allowing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140587 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:08 pm »

I honestly don't care too much about the quality of life of barely-aware farm animals. I mean, I could, and I realize what vegans are getting at, but meat is delicious.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #140588 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:48 pm »

Oh the arrogance of man.

"Barely aware."

Humbug.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140589 on: November 28, 2018, 10:52:02 pm »

Oh the arrogance of man.

"Barely aware."

Humbug.

You are much more polite than I was going to be regarding this, I shall defer to you, at least for the initial reacting part.

To me farming and killing non-self-aware animals is completely ethical, given that they aren't even aware of their own pain. Most farmed animals aren't even aware that they're in captivity, so they're completely indifferent to whether they live their lives "free" or on a farm.

Could you... uh... maybe expand on this a bit? With, like, science or something? ‘cause I’m pretty sure animals are aware of their pain. Mammals, certainly, which I think is what you’re referring to.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140590 on: November 28, 2018, 11:12:29 pm »

Could you... uh... maybe expand on this a bit? With, like, science or something? ‘cause I’m pretty sure animals are aware of their pain. Mammals, certainly, which I think is what you’re referring to.
Cows, sheep, etc. are not self-aware. They do not have conscious minds. Their pain is simply the level of a certain molecule in their brain; it is not, on top of that, a conscious feeling like in humans, because again, they do not have conscious minds.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140591 on: November 28, 2018, 11:26:31 pm »

Cows, sheep, etc. are not self-aware. They do not have conscious minds. Their pain is simply the level of a certain molecule in their brain; it is not, on top of that, a conscious feeling like in humans, because again, they do not have conscious minds.

What do you mean by “conscious mind”?

Could you define “pain” for me, also. From this you seem to consider it as an emotional response, rather than physical.

If so, how do you know the animal, on an emotional level, does not experience pain? I mean we know a human has emotions. “I am happy” “I am sad” “I am filled with apoplectic rage”. How would one measure emotions, or the lack thereof, in animals?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140592 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:32 pm »

I mean, farm animals[barring pigs] definitely aren't sapient and aren't very bright either. That doesn't mean that they're incapable of feeling pain. Whether we should actually care about them feeling pain is one matter, but saying that they're not even aware of their own pain is beyond baffling.

I personally think that keeping animals in order to eat them sucks for them, but not as much as being permanently extinct would. And make no mistake, that's exactly what the other option is. Other people are free to disagree with me as I sit atop my chickenbone throne, munching on bacon as I pet my cat.

re: Animals not having a consciousness. There's really no reason at all to conclude that? Obviously the only consciousness you can be sure exists is your own, but I doubt even you would say that other humans are not self-aware and thus do not "truly" feel pain. Presumably you consider other humans to be conscious by examining the symptoms of your own consciousness and seeing them in other humans. The thing is, those same symptoms are present in animals too. They're capable of forming attachments, learning behaviour and even of committing suicide in the face of grief. I can see an argument for insects lacking consciousness since they're so alien to us mammals, but it's incredibly stupid to look at beings very much like us and declare that they are nothing more then meat robots simply because they're really really dumb.

FAKEEDIT:

I'd think that apoplectic rage at least would be easy to measure since it'd logically entail an apoplexy, which is something you can detect medically.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140593 on: November 28, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »

The conscious mind is defined as the part of the brain that is responsible for self-awareness. There exist scientific tests to determine whether animals are self-aware, like the famous mirror test. Sheep, cows and almost literally every other animal except for dolphins and apes fail these tests. In this case I do not think that farm animals are truly fully alive like humans are, and furthermore are unable to experience suffering like humans can, and so ultimately I do not care very much about the activation of a whatever neural pattern in their brains corresponds to "pain", which really only exists as an evolutionary mechanism to stop the organisms from harming themselves.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140594 on: November 28, 2018, 11:42:27 pm »

The conscious mind is defined as the part of the brain that is responsible for self-awareness. There exist scientific tests to determine whether animals are self-aware, like the famous mirror test. Sheep, cows and almost literally every other animal except for dolphins and apes fail these tests. In this case I do not think that farm animals are truly fully alive like humans are, and furthermore are unable to experience suffering like humans can, and so ultimately I do not care very much about the activation of a whatever neural pattern in their brains corresponds to "pain", which really only exists as an evolutionary mechanism to stop the organisms from harming themselves.
This.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 9371 9372 [9373] 9374 9375 ... 11040