Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9360 9361 [9362] 9363 9364 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14562578 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140415 on: November 23, 2018, 02:53:37 am »

Are you sure? My understanding was that turkish kebap is actually a Wallachian development
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140416 on: November 23, 2018, 02:54:10 am »

That don't make no sense.

Turks invented doner kebap. Turkish has a word for rotate. Arabs took the kebap and started calling it using the mangled Turkish word.

You're saying Turks call the dish they invented and have a name for using the Arabic rendering of a Turkish word.
Have you heard of a thing called "Islam"? It's quite popular in Turkey, I hear.  :P

(I'm actually pretty sure that 'shawarma' is middle eastern, but it's totally plausible that Turks would use Arabic...)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:58:10 am by Maximum Spin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140417 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:46 am »

Fun fact: kebab is Arabic for roast/ed meat

Are you saying that when the Turks invented kebab they used s an Arab word

Because they did
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140418 on: November 23, 2018, 02:59:17 am »

So.. French Toast and French Fries.  Both are purely American inventions, named for various reasons, "French".

Not quite what you are getting at there, since the specifics dont match-- This is just to lamplight that just because one culture names something, does not mean the name makes the most sense, and that it cannot be innocently ascribed to another, innocent culture. (The French MIGHT have invented something like french toast [given that they are ascribed with the invention of brioche, which ingredient wise, is a similar invention, and the historically disproportionate degree that bread held in the classical French diet], but I doubt they would ever stoop so low in their culinary reputation as to name fried Julianne potatoes after themselves.)

Other such nonsequitor names...

"Scotch Egg" -- Made in London.

I DO get what you are getting at though.  This is like saying the word "Taco" is an American word, appropriated by Mexican culture-- which is just plain silly.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140419 on: November 23, 2018, 03:42:24 am »

Yeah I assumed it was due to the julienned potatoes.
Which somehow the rest of the world never got their hands on.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #140420 on: November 23, 2018, 03:44:02 am »

French toast and French fries are both old European inventions. The invention of French fries/chips is disputed between France and Belgium, and French toast has existed in some form or another all across Europe since maybe at least 400-500 AD, spread across the continent in a mad spiral of toast. It has more names, too. It’s also called German toast, Bombay toast, Gypsy toast, and several others. Unlike chips, the invenion isn’t disputed, mainly because there are too many people capable of getting involved.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140421 on: November 23, 2018, 04:18:44 am »

In places like Norway, French toast is actually called "arme riddere", meaning "poor/pitiable knights".

More fun with kebabs, there's also something called "tacos al pastor", which was (so far as I know) developed when Lebanese immigrants moved to Mexico, and their kids opened up restaurants combining Lebanese heritage with Mexican cuisine. It's basically just döner, but pork instead of lamb and marinated to taste extra tasty.

...And then later the concept migrated to Turkey, where they went back to using lamb (for obvious reasons), and started calling it "Mexican shawarma"...

And then there's that tasty Indian dish called "Manchurians", despite having not a god damn thing to do with either Manchuria or China.

And then there's the Koreans, who completely misunderstood the point of kebap and started trying to sing it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140422 on: November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 am »

Because they did
This conversation is giving me an existential crisis. Somebody either validate my logic or point out where it's flawed.

Kebap is a word in Turkish that is a borrowing from Arabic (or Persian or whatever).
Shawarma is a word in Arabic that is a borrowing from Turkish.
Just like beef is a word in English that is a borrowing from French, and sandwich is a word in French that is a borrowing from English.

Saying:
'I think shawarma is just the word Turks use for kebab. Iirc my wikipedia research yesterday it means "rotate" in Arabic'
is like saying:
'I think sandwich au boeuf is just the expression the English use for beef sandwich. Iirc my wikipedia research yesterday it means "cow meat between two slices of bread" in French'
(in which example the beef sandwich is an English invention)

@wierd You know I love you. But after reading your post a few times I still don't know whether you're agreeing or disagreeing, and with whom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140423 on: November 23, 2018, 04:27:09 am »

Royale with cheese

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140424 on: November 23, 2018, 04:33:09 am »

Palazzo:

I was going after the "Does not make sense" statement you made.  I was pointing out that some real names really and genuinely DO NOT MAKE SENSE.   Eg, "French toast", or "Scotch Egg".   I also mentioned that it was NOT the same thing you were discussing, only tangential, and lamplit that you were more on about the absurdity of saying that Mexicans appropriated the word "taco" from Americans, and that I agree, that is just plain silly.

A bit of devil's advocate, mixed with general agreement that the specifics of this instance are indeed silly.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140425 on: November 23, 2018, 05:08:16 am »

Because they did
This conversation is giving me an existential crisis.

That's what happens when you immediately leap to the least favourable interpretation in order to be able to make snorky comments like "implying Turks speak Arabic" and feel good about how smart you are
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140426 on: November 23, 2018, 05:11:22 am »

I've decided I'm going to take away from this only that you said I'm smart. Yes you did, yes you did.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140427 on: November 23, 2018, 05:19:00 am »

I think you have been caught in Trump's reality distorting local spacetime.  It tends to cause heightened levels of Dunning-Kruger like behavior, especially as relates to one's perception of their intellectual faculties. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140428 on: November 23, 2018, 05:25:09 am »

My smart is the best smart. It's hyuge, like my hands. Everybody says so, even scriver.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140429 on: November 23, 2018, 06:42:13 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:11:23 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 9360 9361 [9362] 9363 9364 ... 11040