Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9340 9341 [9342] 9343 9344 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560744 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140115 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:39 am »

Fortunately, it's not. I just think that dental care is probably the least of the worries of a wild animal stored as a form of "energy" in a 100cc ball :P There's a point where comparisons to reality just give way, ya know?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140116 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:42 am »

I think it goes without saying that both of us are being as facetious as is inhumanly possible here. :P

It's a form of highbrow humor.  Neither one of us actually considers a fictional subject matter a serious matter for discussion that said though---

Evaluation of what would ACTUALLY happen, as opposed to the fictional fiat of the series, leads to hilarious outcomes.  For instance, the massive packs of pikachus the series depicts, if they were that size and weight, would be absolutely devastating to many ecologies, and I would expect there to be actual import restrictions on the capture and importation of the creatures, as well as dedicated extermination efforts to control them.

It is these hilarious outcomes that is the source of the humor. You only get there by trying to rationalize the irrational. :P

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140117 on: November 16, 2018, 04:20:22 am »

Trying to exterminate vast, angry packs of lightning powered rodents sounds like a job with some sweet danger pay.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140118 on: November 16, 2018, 04:28:40 am »

Fortunately, it's not. I just think that dental care is probably the least of the worries of a wild animal stored as a form of "energy" in a 100cc ball :P There's a point where comparisons to reality just give way, ya know?

No, I don't know, quite intentionally. I've spent most of my life measuring the marigolds, as the trope apparently goes, and being told that it's unimportant or silly or perhaps arrogant to try to know some deity's plan or a waste of time trying to apply logic where it's not wanted, usually to media, except I keep learning things every time I try. To extend the analogy, measuring the marigolds that don't exist helps figure out the drivers behind the ones that do, and we're really good at coming up with nonexistent marigolds. (Honestly it's probably half the reason fictional prototyping is even slightly a thing.)

Tonight I learned how certain aspects of rodent biology scale with size trying to figure out what best fits an imaginary electric rodent. Last week, I found a really esoteric logical error in my molecular modeling code by trying to make it build nanites as the tiny robots everyone imagines. (Off the clock, but still, it helped.) If there's a point where doing ridiculous things with science and math give way from being unexpectedly useful, I haven't found it yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140119 on: November 16, 2018, 04:42:05 am »

What's that quote-? 

"Advances in science are usually heralded by "that's funny.." rather than "Eureka!" '

or something like that?

But you are quite correct-- throwing off the wall scenarios at a model is a great way to test that model.  A truly robust model would be able to handle such edge cases, and give useful predictions.  Failure to give such a prediction is indicative of a weakness in the model, which is useful to know.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #140120 on: November 16, 2018, 04:42:58 am »

Fair enough.

...still don't think there's a way to make Pokemon conform to reality. :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140121 on: November 16, 2018, 05:01:25 am »

Depends. Geodudes look like rocks when they are asleep or hiding, and it is entirely possible for real things to look like rocks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #140122 on: November 16, 2018, 05:12:00 am »

Depends. Geodudes look like rocks when they are asleep or hiding, and it is entirely possible for real things to look like rocks.

... dammit. Checkmate, I surrender.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140123 on: November 16, 2018, 07:15:44 am »

Imic, I like the Irish and the Irish language and I very much thunk that efforts should be made to preserve it. And it's a language with ancient roots, goes without saying...

.... baina ez da Europako zaharrena hitzkuntza, laguna  ;)

In case anyone wonders, that was Basque
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140124 on: November 16, 2018, 12:54:00 pm »

Has it ever been officially depicted what the inside of a pokeball looks like from the pokemon's point of view? Is there any reason why we never see them being used on humans?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140125 on: November 16, 2018, 01:21:38 pm »

I mean they're just information, right? That's why you can transfer them into your computer?
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #140126 on: November 16, 2018, 01:34:03 pm »

According to one of the developers, it's "like" a high-end hotel suite from the Pokémon's perspective. As for what it actually is, it's very likely a data storage device of some sort. However, Pokémon definitely aren't "just" information, as they're as edible as any real life animal, so the balls are some nigh-magical technology at work.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140127 on: November 16, 2018, 01:58:29 pm »

According to one of the developers, it's "like" a high-end hotel suite from the Pokémon's perspective. As for what it actually is, it's very likely a data storage device of some sort. However, Pokémon definitely aren't "just" information, as they're as edible as any real life animal, so the balls are some nigh-magical technology at work.

Given they can be made in a day by one guy with hand tools out of acorns, I'm going to guess the inside of a Pokeball is a hotel suite in the same way dogs go to farms in the country when they get old.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140128 on: November 16, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

Also even a completely wild pokerman becomes instantly tamed when put inside one of these acorn-crafted balls.

Obviously dark magic drugs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140129 on: November 16, 2018, 02:08:36 pm »

Also even a completely wild pokerman becomes instantly tamed when put inside one of these acorn-crafted balls.

Obviously dark magic drugs.
And so it is finally revealed... Pokéballs are, in fact, acorn drugs.
Pages: 1 ... 9340 9341 [9342] 9343 9344 ... 11040