Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9339 9340 [9341] 9342 9343 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559909 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140100 on: November 15, 2018, 04:10:40 pm »

There should be a general language thread. Is there one already, or have they all been locked for too many arguments?
Unknown. Do it anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #140101 on: November 15, 2018, 04:12:20 pm »

There should be a general language thread. Is there one already, or have they all been locked for too many arguments?
Unknown. Do it anyway.
You do it. I’m not giving my fragile sanity another thing ti dwell on.
But if people insist, I might.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140102 on: November 15, 2018, 04:12:38 pm »

You should make sure to put http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hovercraft.htm  in the op as a reference.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140103 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:41 pm »

I wanted to make one a while back, trying to combine words from as many different languages as I could manage in a single title sentence.

Buuut then I backed out of doing it, because my pathetic attempts at brushing up on my Spanish via Duolingo came to a somewhat abrupt end after I fucked up a weekend and lost a month-long streak, discouraging me from ever opening the app again. Not something I really wanted to admit to a language thread of my creation.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140104 on: November 15, 2018, 06:20:52 pm »

I like it too, unlike most people I have ever met. It’s easier to learn than English and makes more sense, but it can be hard for English speakers to learn it.
There was also no definitive word for yes up until recently, you just had to say ‘I will do thing’ or ‘I like thing’ instead of just ‘yes’. And that’s why you’ll find some Irish people occasionally avoiding saying ‘yes’, saying ‘That I will’ instead or some such.
That's fascinating. So is it Gaelic or not?
I used to know a dude who still spoke Gaelic, as well as knew how to play this traditional celtic harp he had. He wrote historical fiction/fantasy novels set in ancient Ireland and Scotland, many of which I have seen on the shelves in op-shops (thrift stores) far and wide across the country!
He gave my family his cat, which he had taught to lick a person's third eye. He also showed me to talk to cats, kind of.
Apparently these days he's working on some rather tacky-looking sci-fi webcomic. Yeesh.   

He never would teach anyone to speak Gaelic, though. Apparently it's quite a secretive language, or something.
Probably for the best - I'm sure I would have lost interest a short while into learning such a complex language and there would have been disappointment all round.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140105 on: November 16, 2018, 02:40:48 am »

Gave the Detective Pikachu trailer a watch and was rather surprised at how good it looked.

I choose you, Creepychu!  The fur is super realistic looking, but that doesn't make them look adorable.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140106 on: November 16, 2018, 02:46:11 am »

Gave the Detective Pikachu trailer a watch and was rather surprised at how good it looked.

I choose you, Creepychu!  The fur is super realistic looking, but that doesn't make them look adorable.

I wonder if it would look better if the fur was flattened like how mouse hair tends to be. Unless they did it like that so Pikachu looks like it's all static charged.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140107 on: November 16, 2018, 02:59:37 am »

The cartoon renderings of Pikachu always look "mouse flat" in terms of fur style, but given the size, I always imagined it as a yellow and black chinchilla with bioelectric adaptations...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:01:25 am by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140108 on: November 16, 2018, 03:20:21 am »

The cartoon renderings of Pikachu always look "mouse flat" in terms of fur style, but given the size, I always imagined it as a yellow and black chinchilla with bioelectric adaptations...

A chinchilla's nowhere near big enough, though. Pikachu's Pokedex entry lists its adult weight at 6 kg, and 0.4 m long to boot. Long-tailed chinchillas rarely go above 0.8 kg.

Admittedly few rodents do, although I guess maybe pikachus could be electric nutrias?

EDIT: Unless the extra 5.2 kg is in electroplaques?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:25:27 am by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140109 on: November 16, 2018, 03:28:43 am »

Given that this is the WTF thread...

How does Ash prevent his Pikachu from developing dental problems, given that he never seems to provide it with dental sticks in its pokeball? Also, doe his Pikachu destroy furniture and other wooden objects in his house or backpack?

Really nintendo, proper pet care should be better represented here. (Though granted, the show and franchise is about a one tiny mark above cock fighting in its thematic nature. :P)

Also, 6kg is pretty damned heavy.  That's a little over 13lb.  That's the size of a small dog.  Maybe people overfeed their pikachus, and they get morbidly obese and cause a large error in domestic weights?  Would explain why the professor is always wanting to study wild pokemon. :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:34:16 am by wierd »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140110 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:34 am »

Pikachus are the size of a small dog.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140111 on: November 16, 2018, 03:45:49 am »

Of course Pikachu doesn't gnaw on wooden objects; it doesn't know Bite. /s

Maybe it just bruxes a lot.

And yes, 6 kg is heavy, but 40 cm is long, and since the Pokedex is notionally recording data on wild pokemon I'm hesitant to attribute the weight to domestic overfeeding. Thus why I suggested the nutria; they're about that body length.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #140112 on: November 16, 2018, 04:05:53 am »

(snip)
It is indeed Gaelic, but I never met someone who called it Gaelic. Irish is the English name for it, and Gaeilge is the Irish name for it, but we don’t mix the names. Only people from outside Ireland call it Gaelic, which causes lots of confusion. It’s an extremely un-secretive language, since it’s dying out a bit, and the more people who speak it, the better. Whoever you were talking to sounds like a bit of a weirdo. It’s not a complex language,  I more than English is. It just has an extremely rigid structure and grammar, so it seems that way. In fact, it’s considerably easier to learn than English for that reason. Just... Not for a native Snglish speaker, since you have to drop a lot of what you understand about which letter means what, since Irish was not made for the Latin alphabet, but no-one writes in Ogham anymore, so we’ll live.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #140113 on: November 16, 2018, 04:06:41 am »

I feel like it says everything it is necessary to know about you two that you're arguing about the biology of a creature that stores electricity in its cheeks, causes lightning storms when gathered in groups, and can be stored indefinitely in a ball with much less volume and mass than the original pokemon. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140114 on: November 16, 2018, 04:11:59 am »

I feel like it says everything it is necessary to know about you two that you're arguing about the biology of a creature that stores electricity in its cheeks, causes lightning storms when gathered in groups, and can be stored indefinitely in a ball with much less volume and mass than the original pokemon. :P

And if your reaction to that is "Huh, nerds!"...yeah, that's about all anyone needs to hear from you.
Pages: 1 ... 9339 9340 [9341] 9342 9343 ... 11040