Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9326 9327 [9328] 9329 9330 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559779 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139905 on: November 10, 2018, 07:39:09 am »

(You also have to include the evil practices of human kind if you intend a fair comparison. )

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot the way that when I'm hanging out with my friends we hunt down a passing Zimbabwean so we can chain them to the braai. Or the way the average Canadian lives in luxury, attended by droves of enslaved aboriginals, which they sometimes amuse themselves by carving up. Heck, I own six slaves myself.

Oh wait, I didn't mention those because they don't happen. Huh. We have all these "bills of human rights" and stuff now.

Look I know you hate being wrong, but don't you agree that you're reaching just a little when you compare current human society to a caricature of evil and sadism and say they don't sound "all that bad"?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139906 on: November 10, 2018, 07:45:06 am »

Whatsa braai though

In Swedish "braj" is slightly outdated slang for marijuana

Just apropos
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139907 on: November 10, 2018, 07:46:43 am »

Alt Left, I presume, refers to the horrors of things like China's Great Leap or Russia's crackdown on state enemies.  Or the bureaucratic corruption of any such authoritarian system.

Some dank stuff happens out there in the name of equality.  Lovejoy compound, Dignidad, etc, are just upfront examples.  That horseshoe shaped political axis.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:51:14 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139908 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:47 am »

Whatsa braai though

In Swedish "braj" is slightly outdated slang for marijuana

Just apropos

It took moments for me to google it when I didn't know.  How about you also google it, you lazy bugger :P
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139909 on: November 10, 2018, 07:56:37 am »

I prefer interaction with other human beings, thank you
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139910 on: November 10, 2018, 07:58:28 am »

SHUN

SHUNNN

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139911 on: November 10, 2018, 08:04:40 am »

SHUN

SHUNNN
Everyone, calm down! It's okay! This is just a huge misunderstanding!

He's Scandinavian. What he means by "interaction with other human beings", is the traditional Nordic method of interacting with people: namely, pointedly ignoring the fact that they exist and hoping for the same in return!

It's within acceptable boundaries, I assure you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139912 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:03 am »

Like, it can't be as bad as you make us believe Kagus. I refuse to believe.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139913 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:02 am »

Like, it can't be as bad as you make us believe Kagus. I refuse to believe.

I had a look at the natural population increase (births/death) and they aren't doing poorly, so maybe it's just Kagus :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139914 on: November 10, 2018, 08:29:34 am »

(You also have to include the evil practices of human kind if you intend a fair comparison. )

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot the way that when I'm hanging out with my friends we hunt down a passing Zimbabwean so we can chain them to the braai. Or the way the average Canadian lives in luxury, attended by droves of enslaved aboriginals, which they sometimes amuse themselves by carving up. Heck, I own six slaves myself.

Oh wait, I didn't mention those because they don't happen. Huh. We have all these "bills of human rights" and stuff now.

Look I know you hate being wrong, but don't you agree that you're reaching just a little when you compare current human society to a caricature of evil and sadism and say they don't sound "all that bad"?

This is a mischaracterization. The residents of the mound are highly isolationist, and do no go outside, let alone go hunting for humans to torture and enslave.  They mutilate humans that threaten to reveal their existence which is a very different thing.

A better comparison would be with south Korea, if fearless leader was an immortal telepath.

The social hegenomy of south Korea is sustained by empowered families, and militaristic isolationism, enforced with propaganda about the US as a great enemy.

Does this mean that all south Koreans are evil horrors bent on committing atrocity? No. Neither are the majority of the kin-yan, as evidenced by how willing the protagonist female conspirator went with the defection plan.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:39:17 am by wierd »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139915 on: November 10, 2018, 08:36:10 am »

This is a mischaracterization. The residents of the mound are highly isolationist, and do no go outside, let alone go hunting for humans to torture and enslave.  They mutilate humans that threaten to reveal their existence which is a very different thing.

I feel like you're missing the point.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139916 on: November 10, 2018, 08:40:13 am »

See the edit. No, I see a bigger picture.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139917 on: November 10, 2018, 08:41:33 am »

Oh, no, that Zimbabwean was already in South Africa. I didn't have to leave to get them.

...also you seem to have not addressed most of the issues? By your standards, humanity is a shining ray of light 'cause we haven't offed any alien species yet.

...and also I'd find your arguments much more compelling if you knew which Korea was which.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139918 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:38 am »

A better comparison would be with south Korea, if fearless leader was an immortal telepath.

The social hegenomy of south Korea is sustained by empowered families, and militaristic isolationism, enforced with propaganda about the US as a great enemy.

Does this mean that all south Koreans are evil horrors bent on committing atrocity? No. Neither are the majority of the kin-yan, as evidenced by how willing the protagonist female conspirator went with the defection plan.
I think you're mixing up North Korea and South Korea...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139919 on: November 10, 2018, 08:51:26 am »

Blegh. It would help if I had not been awake for 18 hours too. >.<

North Korea.blah

The point is that a repressive regime that sustains itself through dominance,  creates a much larger class. Examples are helots vs Spartans. The helots were enslaved by the Spartans, as an underclass. The mound dwellers are immortal, and lack generational cultural turn over. As such, their culture is stagnant. They are Spartans that never fell, and live in sociological isolation. Exposure to outside culture is an existential threat to their ruling culture, just as much as pitchforks and torches are. Their rulers know this. This is why the residents of the mound are forbidden to leave.

This again strongly parallels modern north Korea. The willingness of individuals to defect indicates Th as t the ruling culture is an empowered minority, and not wholly representative of the whole culture.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:53:19 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 9326 9327 [9328] 9329 9330 ... 11040