Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9305 9306 [9307] 9308 9309 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528539 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139590 on: November 04, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »

Honestly, it's part of the culture... We've been emotionally distant since back when your closest neighbor was just over the horizon and you only ever talked to them when they had another kid baptized in the local chapel.

There's still a good portion of the population that feels an area is crowded and claustrophobic if you can see your neighbor's house from your front door.

You ever wonder why the Vikings went off to all corners of the world on long and possibly one-way journeys? Yeah.

Village already had like three huts in it, a fourth family is just ridiculous... gotta move somewhere else.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139591 on: November 04, 2018, 04:20:02 pm »

Nah it's just a graceless decline into the behavioural sink

*Toilet Flush Sound*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139592 on: November 04, 2018, 04:21:38 pm »

Meanwhile here not acknowledging other people is considered very impolite.

Bus drivers have stopped being huge dicks to me since I made a habit of always greeting them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139593 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:26 pm »

I read about that stuff about Norwegian culture on an article once. On the bright side, according to the article, you guys have an easier time building meaningful relationships cause you don’t have to wonder whether the guy talking to you actually cares for you or is just bored.

Was the article wrong?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139594 on: November 04, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »

In Ireland you don’t talk to random passer-bys on the street. Dear god shy would you ever do that. Greet them as you pass them if there’s no-one else, but dear god, I don’t think I would ever do that unprompted. I live in a small village where everyone knows everyone, and it’s fine to chat every now and then, but when you go into town, the mood changes instantly. No-one here gives each other a second glance. I just don’t see why you’d do that.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139595 on: November 04, 2018, 04:47:12 pm »

I read about that stuff about Norwegian culture on an article once. On the bright side, according to the article, you guys have an easier time building meaningful relationships cause you don’t have to wonder whether the guy talking to you actually cares for you or is just bored.

Was the article wrong?
Dunno. Normal social interaction is often defined by getting so exceptionally drunk that you have the greatest, most meaningful conversation you've ever had with someone you've just met, despite both of you having lost the ability to speak a few drinks ago.

I'm also a bit of an outlier as far as social life is concerned, having grown up in near-isolation until I was thrust into a highly social environment in a foreign country (and language) at age 18... Don't know if my anecdotal evidence would really count for much in the way of establishing the norm.

I have had meaningful relationships with multiple norskies though, so there's that. There's precisely one person from the army that I kept in touch with, and he's been my best friend since 2012.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139596 on: November 04, 2018, 04:49:16 pm »

Dunno. Normal social interaction is often defined by getting so exceptionally drunk that you have the greatest, most meaningful conversation you've ever had with someone you've just met, despite both of you having lost the ability to speak a few drinks ago.
Interestingly enough, that could summarize Irish social interactions too. We have more pubs than grocery shops.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139597 on: November 04, 2018, 05:23:31 pm »

In Ireland you don’t talk to random passer-bys on the street. .
I've gotten random Irish people stopping to talk to me since I arrived. I kind of assumed it was the norm. Maybe it's different in smaller towns?

Fakeedit: the random strangers were sober or at least seemed sober. I'm not counting the drunk ones, who, just like drunks anywhere else, have abnormal reactions
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139598 on: November 04, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »

I might just be antisocial.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139599 on: November 04, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »

I might just be antisocial.
Personal text checks out
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139600 on: November 04, 2018, 06:02:29 pm »

P.S. I deleted my post after a minute or so because I thought I was being irrational, making such a sweeping generalization at such an innocuous stimulus. Though that's still how I felt.
That sort of tight-lipped expression can be from a couple different emotive states (at least in my experience). It can be a very faint smile/:| face indicative of commiseration with or acknowledgement of another person in a situation that's not very positive. It can also be more of a teeth-clenching slight grimace where you're acknowledging that an uncomfortable situation exists but don't have a solution to it.

Passing by a homeless person begging for money is an excellent example of the latter in action: you consciously acknowledge that that's a real human being in a bad situation but also that there's nothing you can realistically do to make a meaningful change in their life. It's not indifference. If the person were indifferent to the suffering of others or didn't conceive of homeless people as being real people, they wouldn't feel uncomfortable not looking at them or talking to them. It's a very American thing, really--the discomfort is a specific result of not being able to meaningfully engage in the sort of silent acknowledgement or small talk that would normally pass between strangers.

You might also see that sort of expression if you're at a family reunion and racist old Uncle Larry starts going off on a tirade after having a few too many beers. Or if you see someone beating their kid, or cops harassing someone for no real reason, or someone ranting about some political bullshit, or-

You get the point. The first type is more in line with, say, greeting someone you know in a hospital after a mutual friend or relative was in a car wreck. Or while commiserating with someone you don't know very well who has had a bad day.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139601 on: November 04, 2018, 06:33:40 pm »

People are terrified of how friendly and talkative Americans are.

It's because it's not friendly, it's insincere

Meanwhile here not acknowledging other people is considered very impolite.

That's true here too. We just have very subtle ways of acknowledging each other, most consisting of pointedly not looking in each other's direction ;)
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139602 on: November 04, 2018, 07:00:43 pm »

Why is it that so many people that I pass by, I might acknowledge them with a head nod, and they fold their lips into their mouths nervously*? Is it social anxiety? I just want to slap these people across the mouth for making a stupid face at me.
reminded
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139603 on: November 04, 2018, 07:36:28 pm »

People are terrified of how friendly and talkative Americans are.

It's because it's not friendly, it's insincere
That's a heckin' helluva generalisation. Not so in my experience.
Although I did spend most of my visit for the States in a small town or two, and I certainly wasn't sober for a whole lot of it. Come to think of it, the town I spent most of my time in was full of saloons and I spent half my visit in a place called Brewery Gulch, so I'm not sure how many of the folks I interacted with weren't drunk off their asses, too... :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139604 on: November 04, 2018, 07:51:32 pm »

Why is it that so many people that I pass by, I might acknowledge them with a head nod, and they fold their lips into their mouths nervously*? Is it social anxiety? I just want to slap these people across the mouth for making a stupid face at me.
reminded
link’s broken for me. I think it’s cause Vine is dead.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 9305 9306 [9307] 9308 9309 ... 11037