Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9289 9290 [9291] 9292 9293 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14539510 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139350 on: October 25, 2018, 03:13:07 am »

Crap, why am I being opinionated on the internet instead of deciding what to do with my evening, like I was supposed to be doing?!
This is a strange kind of procrastination indeed. I should probably delete my comment and go buy some beer before I get further distracted.   
In my defence, the person I've been dragged into an argument with was mocking someone for attempting to, uh, commit die, so I feel like somebody had to call them out...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139351 on: October 25, 2018, 03:40:32 am »

its snowing

dont like that
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139352 on: October 25, 2018, 05:00:28 am »

My PC tried to shat itself. Had to turn off the power supply because it wouldn't stop waking itself from sleep mode or turning itself back on from a normal shutdown. Started it up this morning, only for it to give me errors saying it couldn't find the Desktop. A restart(and plugging the loosened ethernet cable back in) fixed it, but I lost everything pinned to my taskbar.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139353 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:39 am »

Do you really have to judge people so hard for wanting comfort?

I always see this common thread in your posts that's basically judging people for having lives online, about how the only life worth living is in secrecy because the Man is out to get us.

I get that the Man is out to get us, but I don't know... is it really worth it? Are we to hide in fear all the time? What's the point of surviving in such a lonely, horrifying world?

It just seems to me that every time someone is overwhelmed by the intensity of how bad the world really is you just assume that the human need for comfort is weak, and that we're bad people for wanting them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:29:19 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139354 on: October 25, 2018, 08:28:49 am »

I always see this common thread in your posts that's basically judging people for having lives online, about how the only life worth living is in secrecy because the Man is out to get us.

I get that the Man is out to get us, but I don't know... is it really worth it? Are we to hide in fear all the time? What's the point of surviving in such a lonely, horrifying world?
Yes, this.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139355 on: October 25, 2018, 08:35:14 am »

Well I've calmed down a little and I think maybe Truean is specifically referring to people involved in legal issues, and with her life she's pretty much permanently in one. I guess that if someone who just Did A Crime is posting about it on social media, and posting incriminating stuffs on social media, then that's pretty stupid.

And I guess someone who is involved in professions that result in their privacy being extremely important is justified in being secretive.

I just... as someone whose social life is online (yes, I know that's not ideal, but what can I do?) I just don't know if I can handle having to always be secretive and cover up my trail. I don't know if I can handle living like I'm being hunted all the time. Maybe it's weak, but... I just think it's unrealistic to expect a common person to live the way you do, Truean. Unless I've been misinterpreting you all the time.

EDIT: I also really hope I don't get added to the list of people you insult off hand when someone piss you off about the quotes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:42:01 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139356 on: October 25, 2018, 08:46:31 am »

Well I've calmed down a little and I think maybe Truean is specifically referring to people involved in legal issues, and with her life she's pretty much permanently in one. I guess that if someone who just Did A Crime is posting about it on social media, and posting incriminating stuffs on social media, then that's pretty stupid.

And I guess someone who is involved in professions that result in their privacy being extremely important is justified in being secretive.

I just... as someone whose social life is online (yes, I know that's not ideal, but what can I do?) I just don't know if I can handle having to always be secretive and cover up my trail. I don't know if I can handle living like I'm being hunted all the time. Maybe it's weak, but... I just think it's unrealistic to expect a common person to live the way you do, Truean. Unless I've been misinterpreting you all the time.

EDIT: I also really hope I don't get added to the list of people you insult off hand when someone piss you off about the quotes.

I dunno, I just had a harrowing look through my work internet history. Probably best if I do cover my trail.  Hundreds of pages of webcomics and DF forums... and here we go again.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139357 on: October 25, 2018, 08:47:53 am »

I think you handled the quote fine, given that there is no text in that quote box.

As for the rest, having your social life online is fine.

As for exposing themselves... people already did that. For the entire span of human history. The main difference is that now more people can see you brag, or rant, or whatever, and it is easier to prove you said something.

Point is: you don't need to be a ghost, you can put your life on the internet as long as you accept that there might be consequences. You are not some mindless sheep for doing so. Sure, corporations and spy agencies and governments will abuse that fact, but it is they who should be punished for that. I don't post on social media not out of fear of Big Brother (for when there are 7 billion people in the world, it gets really hard to spy on any random person), but because It's Not My Thing.

And I say this knowing that soon I will have to go through my posting history here to cull a few things.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139358 on: October 25, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

That's the crux of my unhappiness though. It seems to me that Truean is advocating for people to go ghost. I mean, I don't argue that it would be a prudent course of action, but I really don't enjoy the undertone that "if you're not doing this despite me warning you to, you're part of the problem and also you deserve to be blackmailed."

But maybe I'm just having anxiety and misinterpreting things.

It's kind of like... yes, being outside makes me open to being shot. No, that doesn't mean I should stay inside, even if it's safer. We go to work in extremely fast death cubes. We go up and down floors in a death box. We drink neurotoxin to be more productive.

I think humans have always endangered ourselves for the sake fo quality of life. And I would rather live happily for a short time than live miserably for a long time. Sure, it's not responsible, and I would be providing greater utility to the world if I preserved myself and limited my hobbies and just do my job, but I'm honestly too depressed to care about anyone and don't think I owe it to the world to save it, or fight evil.

I will fight evil when I'm ready, and when I want to. And if I die, I shouldn't be judged for not paying back my investment. After all, I never chose to be born.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:56:18 am by Cinder »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139359 on: October 25, 2018, 11:15:29 am »

I never saw the allure of that cancer anyway. I much prefer the older, more anonymous internet culture of the late 80s and early 90s.  The very idea of using my real name online mortifies me, and the demands for email addresses and the like anger me.
Email isn't even good enough anymore. Thanks to disposable email addresses, some sites have started requiring your mobile phone number. (They can tell which ones are burner numbers, and won't accept them. And screw you if you only have a land line.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139360 on: October 25, 2018, 12:26:04 pm »

After all, I never chose to be born.
That just tweaked my Antinatalism nerve. As a philosophical concept it’s probably interesting, but I first have to get past every human instinct hating it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139361 on: October 25, 2018, 12:39:27 pm »

What's so bad about antinatalism? If nothing else, you can't get someone's consent to fabricate them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139362 on: October 25, 2018, 01:14:00 pm »

Free-floating WTF: I personally find it to be perhaps a teensy bit distasteful to describe "My wife and I divorced and she got custody of our child" with the words "My daughter has been kidnapped and is being held hostage in an undisclosed location".

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #139363 on: October 25, 2018, 06:27:40 pm »

Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139364 on: October 26, 2018, 01:05:01 am »

It just seems to me that every time someone is overwhelmed by the intensity of how bad the world really is you just assume that the human need for comfort is weak, and that we're bad people for wanting them.
Am I misremembering, or did you used to be a really pessimistic person with what may have been depression and anxiety?

If I'm not, then well done, you definitely seem like a much happier, more relaxed person now.
I honestly can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic because I'm not sure if I look like I'm doing worse or doing better to other people.

What's so bad about antinatalism? If nothing else, you can't get someone's consent to fabricate them.

I think that's exactly what Tack means. Antinatalism is doomed because it's selected against in natural selection, so we're biologically conditioned to dislike it.

Cultural evolution might tip the scale, though, but I feel like the best we can hope for is generational planning because people would find slowly causing the human race to go extinct to be repugnant and possibly missing the point of life in a way.

Pages: 1 ... 9289 9290 [9291] 9292 9293 ... 11037