Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9287 9288 [9289] 9290 9291 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14542342 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139320 on: October 24, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »

Do we need to worry about our lungs disintegrating?

Yes and no.  What you need to worry about is the evolution of chloramine gases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

It is a nasty thing to inhale.  Can potentially cause all kinds of problems.  Its evolution comes about from the aggressive decomposition of proteins in the plumbing from the heated up hypochlorate solution.

This is why we open the bathroom window, first thing, and avoid breathing the gasses. I would go so far as to say that you should pour it slowly, then run from the bathroom and shut hte door behind you, and wait an hour.

It will however, COMPLETELY OBLITERATE the clog in that pipe.  (Most bathroom clogs are a mixture of toothpaste residue, shed skin cells, body oils, and hair. The heated up bleach destroys the hair and skin cell portions, by breaking down all the proteins they are comprised of, leaving just oils and toothpaste residue, which hot water will dislodge easily. )
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:33:13 pm by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139321 on: October 24, 2018, 03:34:32 pm »

This is why we open the bathroom window, first thing, and avoid breathing the gasses.

That is why we use a real drain cleaner according to package directions rather than mishandling bleach according to random Internet strangers.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139322 on: October 24, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »

This is why we open the bathroom window, first thing, and avoid breathing the gasses.

That is why we use a real drain cleaner according to package directions rather than mishandling bleach according to random Internet strangers.

He's not just a random internet stranger, he's *THE* internet stranger.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139323 on: October 24, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »

Yes, because the hydroxide in the drain cleaner is perfectly safe for metal pipes, and works really well for breaking down hair. /s

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139324 on: October 24, 2018, 03:39:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:59:48 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139325 on: October 24, 2018, 03:40:28 pm »

While I'm sure the above method is accurate, I am also sure that there are plenty of ways to use unnecessarily dangerous chemicals to clean things, and that furthermore the reason people don't do that is because those chemicals are unnecessary, and dangerous.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139326 on: October 24, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »

Yes, because the hydroxide in the drain cleaner is perfectly safe for metal pipes, and works really well for breaking down hair. /s

So use one without hydroxide. Most oxidizing drain cleaners use bleach and something to heat it when in contact with organic material anyway. It's just also tuned to do so more slowly, which mitigates vapor problems and improves penetration of the clog.

EDIT: Also, as Dunamisdeos says, there are infinitely many unnecessarily dangerous ways to do things. Nitroglycerin and a hammer make a fine drain cleaner too, but there's a reason we don't use it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:43:21 pm by Trekkin »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139327 on: October 24, 2018, 03:43:35 pm »

He's not just a random internet stranger, he's *THE* internet stranger.

His avatar is literally a scientist mixing chemicals.  What's not to trust.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139328 on: October 24, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »

idk, all I heard was 'huff hairballs and warm bleach in a bag.  Maybe less healthy than huffing glue'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139329 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:06 pm »

huh?

subscribe me to wierd's chemistry crash courses asap

Most drain cleaners, like Draino and pals, are a mixture of a thickener and sodium hydroxide. (Lye).  This undergoes first dissociation reaction on contact with water (Sodium ion and the hydroxide ion separate from each other, similar to sodium and chlorine in salt water), and then the hydroxide likes to bond to things.

This includes copper found in copper and brass fittings, as well as the tin in galvanized pipes,  Iron is less susceptable, but since naked iron pipe is rarely a thing in bathrooms, its a nonstarter to think that way.  Instead, galvanized pipe ends up pitted and corroded as the tin coating gets eaten off. This encourages future clogs, cause areas where flowing water causes micro-vortex turbulence (see also, why do golf-balls have dimples), which can further erode the pipe from normal use.

PVC pipes are immune to the corrosion, but the heat of the reaction (which is prolonged, because it happens much more slowly than the bleach one, which finishes in seconds) causes structural weakening of the pipe.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139330 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:59:41 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139331 on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:36 pm »

There are liquid drain cleaners that are specifically safe for copper/galvanized pipes. Use those. Save your bleach for really safe things, like mixing with Pine-Sol for scent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also tho, that was interesting to read and thx for sharing and such
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139332 on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:50 pm »

Just be sure to visit your local army surplus for a few gas masks. Remember to attach a filter and ensure that you put it on the intake valve, and not the outlet!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139333 on: October 24, 2018, 03:57:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:59:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139334 on: October 24, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »

There are liquid drain cleaners that are specifically safe for copper/galvanized pipes. Use those. Save your bleach for really safe things, like mixing with Pine-Sol for scent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also tho, that was interesting to read and thx for sharing and such

I'm allways thinking in case of a zombie apocalypse where all the drain cleaners have allready been looted. I'll steal the masks from the infected soldiers at the camp nearby, wcgw.

I support this logic wholeheartedly.
Pages: 1 ... 9287 9288 [9289] 9290 9291 ... 11037