Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9275 9276 [9277] 9278 9279 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545710 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139140 on: October 20, 2018, 02:04:51 am »

The strength of the drink isn't the main issue.

The real issue is whether there's methanol in that.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139141 on: October 20, 2018, 02:21:11 am »

He has tried it himself, and got no symptoms, so probably no methanol.

Also probably whatever the chemistry student used to try to measure the ethanol would probably also have noticed any methanol.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:23:38 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139142 on: October 20, 2018, 02:42:50 am »

Also probably whatever the chemistry student used to try to measure the ethanol would probably also have noticed any methanol.

There are so many bad assumptions in this sentence that rather than correct them I'm just going to wait to see what happens. Do let us know how it goes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139143 on: October 20, 2018, 03:33:27 am »

My WTF,

I know so little about alcohol I thought ethanol was what they put in gasoline to make it more efficient and I thought methanol was what made alcohol alcohol.  It's probably a good thing I got addicted to Dr Pepper early and had no room left in my cups to get a taste for alcoholic drinks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139144 on: October 20, 2018, 03:43:49 am »

My WTF,

I know so little about alcohol I thought ethanol was what they put in gasoline to make it more efficient and I thought methanol was what made alcohol alcohol.  It's probably a good thing I got addicted to Dr Pepper early and had no room left in my cups to get a taste for alcoholic drinks.
Yes!  That way it will be diabetic rhetinopathy destroying your eyesight, not methanol
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139145 on: October 20, 2018, 04:03:16 am »

But you STILL get liver damage, AND you also get diabetic neuropathy in your legs and other extremities!

(Also, they add ethanol to gasoline to make the corn lobbyists shit rainbows, not because it improves octane.  For that, they add nasty ethers.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139146 on: October 20, 2018, 04:05:13 am »

Are there any decent, cheap tests for methanol? I thought the rule was to just toss the first pint or so that came out, to be on the safe side.

And if it's been distilled, then it's not really wine any more. And unless they managed to get some sort of super extreme X-Man mutant yeast, it's probably no stronger than, at most, 14%.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139147 on: October 20, 2018, 04:21:21 am »

Should be possible to test for...

Ethanol dehydrogenase impregnated strip, with indicator for formaldehyde.

If such a thing does not already exist, it should be pretty painless to make yourself with the right materials.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139148 on: October 20, 2018, 04:23:04 am »

Heat the drink up to 70 degrees celsius. Ethanol boils at about 78, Methanol at about 65.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139149 on: October 20, 2018, 04:47:44 am »

For things like wines, that could severely damage the flavor.

For distilled liquors though, yeah--- that's the captain obvious answer.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139150 on: October 20, 2018, 03:41:38 pm »

Should be possible to test for...

Ethanol dehydrogenase impregnated strip, with indicator for formaldehyde.

If such a thing does not already exist, it should be pretty painless to make yourself with the right materials.

I'd really like to know how you think an amateur garage chemist (let's be generous) can make this, setting aside all the reasons it won't work.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139151 on: October 20, 2018, 03:55:54 pm »

I remember watching a video of a "survival chemist" claiming that he'd managed to synthesize nitric acid using only household/post-apocalyptic tools and materials. He confirmed the substance was nitric acid by huffing the vapors.

*huffing continues*

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139152 on: October 20, 2018, 04:09:11 pm »

There are so many bad assumptions in this sentence that rather than correct them I'm just going to wait to see what happens. Do let us know how it goes.
The wine turned out to be safe to drink, and fairly good for a sweet (if potent) wine. Around what you'd expect from a commercially available wine.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139153 on: October 20, 2018, 04:13:01 pm »

Well, since you asked so nicely..

There's this nice, and more importantly, inexpensive kit from amazon to test for activity of the enzyme in question... (Which can assure calibration of test strips after making them)

https://www.amazon.com/Alcohol-Dehydrogenase-Assay-Kit-DADH-100/dp/B00PA0YJ3Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540068856&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=alcohol+dehydrogenase&dpPl=1&dpID=41FEM3kGEDL&ref=plSrch

The enzyme itself, derived from yeast, is also reasonably inexpensive (as lab supplies go anyway)

https://www.amazon.com/J65869-WEX-Alcohol-Dehydrogenase-Yeast-Each/dp/B0732FSG1P/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1540068856&sr=8-14&pi=CB1275522461_AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=alcohol+dehydrogenase

Formaldehyde dip stick indicators

https://www.amazon.com/Formaldehyde-Dip-stick-Detector-12/dp/B00H3QZD1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1540069508&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=formaldehyde+test+kit

And of course, one can get the glassware, distilled water, lab heating tray, and calibrated thermometer there as well, but sure.

I mean, why wouldn't diagnostics for evolution of formaldehyde in solution when alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme is present work to find methanol, I mean, its well established chemistry and all.

Basically Trekkin, I am calling you on this one. You can get all the shit you need from amazon, delivered.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:15:53 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139154 on: October 20, 2018, 04:17:47 pm »

Came across the guy on facebook again who thinks that the ice cream truck, people driving by with the radio on, and birds singing outside his window are CIA spies.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 9275 9276 [9277] 9278 9279 ... 11037