Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9272 9273 [9274] 9275 9276 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546702 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139095 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:42 am »

It's almost as if their precautions existed not simply because of them being petty tyrants but for some serious reason.
I should hope there are more legitimate reasons than a play about the French Revolution to fear hospital riots. After all, the madman of that revolution did not live in mental wards, but in their own homes, free as birds. But they're not the ones being deprived of their liberty, are they? No, instead mental warders take away small stuffed rabbits from little girls and then have the audacity to claim its for their own good.

If my sister had been in there for a legitimate reason, I might believe it. Instead, she, like the real-life Marquis de Sade, was in there because she had angered someone: namely my mother and father. If the mental ward had not diagnosed her with complete nonsense (Bipolar? Seriously? No one before that ward has thought she was bipolar, and not a single doctor has believed she is since). And if I were not personally aware that even being treated like a madman in the way my sister was, always makes a sane person feel crazy...

They treat you like animals and then turn around and are shocked that you might be bothered! But that's the point, of course. It's a prison for people who can't complain, or at least won't be believed. They help create the "monsters" that they contain; make sure that even if you're not "supposed" to be there, you become precisely that anyway. They still have more in common with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest then they'd ever admit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139096 on: October 18, 2018, 10:42:16 am »

Ok, I want to try to stay away from the current topic as much as I can but let me try the Socratic method for a minute... have you considered that there might some other reason that personal dislike of your sister or some imagined power trip to keep X items away from an inpatient?

(Hint: it rhymes with "viability")

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139097 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:19 am »

I've managed to unintentionally and silently "pay it forward" today.

After failing to make it out of the apartment and do something constructive over at the Fountain House today (a subject more suited for the MSad/Disappoint threads), I decided to pop over to the Turkish grocer across the street to pick up a couple necessities (such as sriracha).

Since it's 1 PM on a workday, it's obviously time for the shop to be winding up for one of its many rush hours. I managed to wind my way around the other customers and picked up a few goodies, and was ready to check out.

The cashier I ended up with this time is someone I don't recognize, and I believe she might be a fairly new hire to boot (sure, just toss them to the wolves during rush hour why don't ya...), and she ended up having a little trouble with the conveyer controls, causing my purchases to violently force themselves upon the collection of the fellow in front of me.

She got a little confused with the bag of apples he'd picked out, and thought they were mine. After we both tried to clear the matter up, he apparently got his things scanned and processed, he paid, and he left.

Then it was my turn, and I thought things were working out fine until she recited the total cost of my items, which seemed a teensy bit high. I had picked out a few expensive items though, and not wanting to hold up the line and the five people behind me, I figured I'd just guessed a bad estimate and made a mental note to check the receipt when I got home.

Sure enough, the receipt revealed that I'd not only paid for the apples, but what looks like nearly the entire purchase of the dude before me. I put my shoes back on and returned to the store to make a mention of it (after psyching myself up enough to brave the potential conflict), but in the five minutes I'd been gone from the store, rush hour had settled in properly and the girl's line was now backed up into an aisle and around the shelves at the end. I didn't want to make a fuss for her, hold up the dozen or so customers waiting to get processed, or indeed stand around waiting the entire duration necessary to make it through the line.

So, instead, I just turned around and left, deciding to eat the ~$17 loss and pretend that I did a good deed, even if nobody knew about it.

I don't believe in karma, but there are times I'd really like for it to be a thing... It'd make me feel a whole lot holier when suffering through social anxiety derps.

Social anxiety or no, I'd want that $17 dollars back.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139098 on: October 18, 2018, 10:55:01 am »

Ahh..

I do not work in a psych unit, however, I work in a related environment. A long term care nursing home.

I cannot say with mathematical precision that there is not any actively malign or dehumanizing thought processes in the minds of the care givers.  Depending on the nature of the patient, that could very well happen; biases against people happen for any number of reasons, and only in an idealized, robotic world would that never occur. 

That horrible truth in mind, the flipside is also true; you will have caregivers that disagree with the assessments of their superiors for a wide assortment of reasons. Chief and principle among which, is that care givers are "with that patient" and with that patient "every day, all day."  Being able to predict the patterns of behavior of a patient is necessary to successfully anticipating the needs of that patient (whatever they might be), and depending on the nature of that prediction, and lead to some odd patterns that are self-reinforcing, and can lead to seemingly mechanized care-- which while tailored for a specific patient, and their specific needs, looks for all the world like the patient is being treated like a thing rather than a person.

EG-- caregivers will notice some patterns-- say-- Patient frequently urinates themselves when certain conditions are met (or not met, as is usually the case here.)  In order to avoid the patient being publicly incontinent, a bladder schedule will be started, that records times of day, and activities that occur, in order to find markers or factors that may be at play in the recurring incontinence.   The results of that research will then dictate the care that the patient needs to avoid being publicly incontinent, even if that kind of care seems dehumanizing. (EG, "Ok Mrs Johnson, it's just after dinner, time to go use the bathroom."-- It makes it look like you are toileting Mrs Johnson like she is a kept pet, rather than anticipating that Mrs Johnson typically consumes 36oz of tea at dinner, and that her kidneys go into overtime, and she does not like leaving her bridge game to go potty, and routinely misjudges how long she can go without her bladder giving her the finger. The goal is to mitigate her disruption of things she does enjoy doing-- like her bridge game-- while also mitigating the causal factors that lead to her incontinence-- and, more than likely, also doing so while acknowledging that Mrs Johnson has mild dementia, and cannot stick with a routine on her own.) 

Similar things happen in psych wards.   Patterns in patient care come to light, and patient care plans are amended to accommodate that.  Likewise, there are commonalities between patients, and their needs, such that generalized classes of care can be identified, and staff better trained toward that set of larger goals.

This leads to unfortunate circumstances where staff is told "This person has bipolar 1 disorder, and has violent outbursts." when that is untrue. (Vindictive parent, et al.) and so, they enact safeguards against that patient harming either themselves or others (such as restriction of allowed items in room, visiting schedules, et al.)

The problem should self-address, as "predicted pattern of behavior does not happen", forcing re-evaluation of care, to ensure that the patient is receiving the proper care.  That re-evaluation process requires all kinds of sign-off by delegated authorities; direct care givers are the bottom rung of the totem pole (and for good reason), and so cannot just elect to change the planned care willy nilly.  They have to report their findings, and advocate for changes in patient care, and that process is slow and methodical. (a necessary outcome of the litigious nature of modern society, and the like.)

That is not a good consolation to family members who know the patient, but lack sufficient medical credentials to make a legal determination, who see their family member receiving inappropriate care for their needs-- especially those that might take this personally-- QED.

The reasons why this evolving change in careplan is so glacially slow, and requires considerable data collection to get moving, is because there are families who are in absolute denial about patients and their needs, as well as families that are vindictive toward the patient, and try to impose unnecessary restrictions and aggressive care on patients that do not require it, and so, should not receive it. The facility has to be able to confront an accuser, either way, in court and say "Based on the information provided to us by a higher ranking medical professional, we conducted our caregiving in accordance with proper process." because anything less than that is just asking to be sued and fined out of existence, and then nobody will be getting care.

If Mrs Johnson really is incapable of moderating her tea drinking before her nightly bridge game, and really is incapable of pre-emptively deciding to toilet herself to avoid causing herself daily embarrassment at her bridge game (and likewise, also causing her fellow players to not want to play with her, causing social isolation, and other maladies) then the imposition of a toileting schedule can greatly improve her overall quality of life, even if it comes off as being mechanistic, and dehumanizing.

Similar unfortunate realities are also true of psych ward patients.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139099 on: October 18, 2018, 01:42:07 pm »

My bank has just charged me more in maintenance fees in one month than they pay me in interest all year (yay 0.1%...).  I haven't bounced checks, I have a substantial combined balance in all my accounts...

This may actually be enough for me to change banks.  Sad, after being with the same one with no issues for almost 19 years...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139100 on: October 18, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »

My bank has just charged me more in maintenance fees in one month than they pay me in interest all year (yay 0.1%...).  I haven't bounced checks, I have a substantial combined balance in all my accounts...

This may actually be enough for me to change banks.  Sad, after being with the same one with no issues for almost 19 years...
You may also be able to get a better account type with fewer fees. If it's worth it, you could call them.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139101 on: October 18, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »

I swore by Bank of America for years.

As their name got dragged into the mud, I insisted that they never harmed me.

Then one day I overdrafted under the minimal amount by $0.30.  Thirty cents was all it took for them the charge $100 in fees, and then it just got worse from there.  Screw them, Im in a credit union now.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139102 on: October 18, 2018, 03:57:04 pm »

Then one day I overdrafted under the minimal amount by $0.30.  Thirty cents was all it took for them the charge $100 in fees, and then it just got worse from there.  Screw them, Im in a credit union now.

That's bonkers. A 33333% fee.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139103 on: October 18, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »

Wierd made an excellent post, so I feel content to let the issue lie.
I swore by Bank of America for years.

As their name got dragged into the mud, I insisted that they never harmed me.

You know, my mother was just warning me about Bank of America the other day, in part for reasons you've now learned.

Advice I learned from a former wall-street lawyer: if you'rs poor and have little money in the bank, the way the bank makes money off of you is through fees. If you have something invested, even something small, it changes the relationship significantly. Look into purchasing a Certificate of Deposit. Ideally a fairly long-term one, and one with, I think maybe $500? $1000? Something like that I think. It changes the way the bank treats you, or so I've been told.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139104 on: October 18, 2018, 04:11:55 pm »

It should be noted that the interest rate you can get on those CDs is variable based on how much money you have in the bank.

Edit: at least for Wells Fargo.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139105 on: October 18, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »

Guess I didn't specify - my accounts never had any fees in the past. I don't actually know why the fee was assessed. I'm going to go ask my local bank manager about it tomorrow.  I actually have a face-to-face relationship with them - hopefully it will be beneficial.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139106 on: October 18, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »

More than likely, this is what happened:

Your bank discovered that it was not making enough money through loan interest and fees to continue expanding at a desired rate/giving financial return to investors. To fix that, they re-consider their financing and fees structure, and they do that by offering new service level agreements. EG, a checking account that pays a small interest payment (as long as you keep 10000$ in it.), etc.

First, they offer these new services, leaving legacy accounts alone. Then, after a period of time- say a year or so, they give a junkmail looking flier in the mail to account holders, stating their intent to upgrade legacy accounts, and what the new terms and conditions will be.  Most people ignore this, but you really should pay attention to ANYTHING a bank sends you. (and I mean ANYTHING.)

They then do not hear back from you, assume this means consent to upgrade, upgrade your account type to the new service offering, and then WHOOP! You get a fee you did not expect, and never had charged before.

This is BY DESIGN.

To avoid getting the fee, you have to go to the bank and instruct them either in person, or in writing, that you DO NOT consent to the account upgrade.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139107 on: October 18, 2018, 06:31:26 pm »

Yeah, I read those "junkmail flyers" with a critical eye.  Nothing in them said anything about an account change.  The only thing I can think of is that something "forgot" that I had linked accounts, so triggered some threshold which might have occurred on a per-account basis, but not on an all-accounts basis.

I fully understand how banks do nothing more than to try to earn money.  Makes me almost want to buy a single share of stock in my bank - oddly* enough, for the price it would earn me more in dividends than my checking account with a much higher balance earns in interest...

*well, it's not really odd; it's by design really.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139108 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:11 pm »

This message is to inform you that by continuing to use our service you have agreed to changes in our user account agreement. If you would like to change your account policies, please contact one of our service representatives. As part of these changes to your policy agreement, you have been appointed as your own service representative conditional on the current agreement. If you change your policy for you, you will not be able to process your agreement cancellation for yourself. Thank you for continuing to use our service. If you have any questions, please click here to contact your service representative.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139109 on: October 18, 2018, 07:51:18 pm »

That's bonkers. A 33333% fee.

Cellphone companies do the same thing.

Be extremely suspicious of any phone plan that claims you're getting more "dollars worth" of calls than you're actually paying in actual dollars. It's a pure scam.

For example, say that a phone plan says "pay $30 and get $600 worth of calls". Decoded this means: you pay for $30 worth of calls, but we just call it $600 worth of calls, so that if you go over your $30 worth of calls in a month we're going to charge you a rate that's 20 times more expensive than the base rate. If you just happened to use double the amount of call-minutes as the base plan allows, then your monthly bill is suddenly $630, not an extra $30. This is where they make all their profit and how they are able to advertise the low introduction rate. Also, the idea of "$X worth of calls" is meaningless since the company decides what calls cost per minute themselves. They could give you $600 of "credits" and charge a base rate of $5 a minute for each call, meaning you only get 120 minutes of calls per month and get hit with $5 a minute over-use fees if you exceed that.

Saying you get more "worth" of calls is actually a way for the marketing department to convince customers that the fact that they charge really excessive fees when you go over your plan is actually an awesome thing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:10:30 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9272 9273 [9274] 9275 9276 ... 11038