Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9265 9266 [9267] 9268 9269 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547474 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138990 on: October 16, 2018, 05:34:09 pm »

Where is that a law? Sounds... pretty awful.

Cookies tend to be pretty irritating, considering absolutely every cruddy website you happen to stumble onto in search of a piece of information is going to save a bunch of them and demand that you be okay with it.
Never mind that you're most likely never coming back to said website and have really no need for a "persistent session" or anything.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138991 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:48 pm »

hmmm?

in the us, restaurants and grocery stores and the like are required by law to list caloric info in the menu with print at least as vibrant and large as the price and item name.  additional, detailed infos must be produced within 2 weeks or so of the request (often just kept on hand).  a complete list of ingredients must be available.

the result is the rise of strict recipe mongering and measuring procedures.  at least with those I've talked with.

exceptions include items custom made instore, items for sale less than 60 days a year, and items that are single ingredient in nature.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138992 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:18 pm »

Like everything people argue about these days, cookies are both good and bad. Plenty--probably most uses are innocuous "let's save your browser session" type stuff. Doesn't mean there aren't people or companies out there either abusing them for nefarious purposes or simply getting rich by studying your life. Doesn't mean there's some orwellian nightmare waiting in the wings to take away everyone's privacy. Hyperbole and black/white thinking have gotten us the current political dogfight nightmare we have (in the US, at least).

Other people getting rich off analyzing your habits is a little like last year's tax cuts in the USA: is it morally important to you that people who are already extremely rich and powerful are getting richer as long as you get some measurable but comparatively small benefit and aren't directly harmed?
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138993 on: October 16, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »

Youtube appears to have crapped itself

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138994 on: October 16, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »

You too?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138995 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:00 pm »

hunh.  My most recent bookmarks work.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138996 on: October 16, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »

Um, it's also the law where you live dude. Some places just haven't gotten to the point that they have the level of labeling that places like Australia take for granted, and they act like the sky will fall if they have to label things with what's in it.

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/public-health/food-safety/food-businesses/food-labelling

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138997 on: October 16, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »

Like everything people argue about these days, cookies are both good and bad. Plenty--probably most uses are innocuous "let's save your browser session" type stuff. Doesn't mean there aren't people or companies out there either abusing them for nefarious purposes or simply getting rich by studying your life. Doesn't mean there's some orwellian nightmare waiting in the wings to take away everyone's privacy. Hyperbole and black/white thinking have gotten us the current political dogfight nightmare we have (in the US, at least).

Other people getting rich off analyzing your habits is a little like last year's tax cuts in the USA: is it morally important to you that people who are already extremely rich and powerful are getting richer as long as you get some measurable but comparatively small benefit and aren't directly harmed?

It’s ‘cause they do it without consent. The thing about websites having to say “okay, cookies?” was a big step forward ‘cause that way people could actually inform themselves about it if they so wished.

Take Target, for example. They figured out how to tell if a lady person was pregnant, to the point they could figure out when she was due to give birth. Not only that, they knew their customers would find it creepy as fuck that they knew that, so tried to hide their knowledge by sending them coupons related to pregnancy mixed in with other stuff.

There may be no harm, but the data that is collected can be used to extrapolate stuff about you that you may not want other people to know. This is bad juju.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #138998 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »

You too?
Yeah, same here, Youtube is fucked up. No idea on when it'll be fixed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138999 on: October 16, 2018, 08:44:28 pm »

Also outing people who are gay in oppressive environments, etc.

The same kinds of things that are useful to advert firms are useful to oppressive regimes. I would rather the former have to work harder, than empower the latter. Remember, people get killed for being pregnant while not married, or for being gay in several countries.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139000 on: October 16, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »

Um, it's also the law where you live dude. Some places just haven't gotten to the point that they have the level of labeling that places like Australia take for granted, and they act like the sky will fall if they have to label things with what's in it.

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/public-health/food-safety/food-businesses/food-labelling
I can understand labelling foods in a supermarket or whatever, that's an obvious necessity, but at a cafe or food truck or w/e it's just ridiculous.

Edit: yeah, that article is about packaged foods, perfectly reasonable.

You too?
Yeah, same here, Youtube is fucked up. No idea on when it'll be fixed.
Nice, I was just coming in here to post about this and ask if I was the only one. To Bandcamp!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139001 on: October 16, 2018, 09:42:19 pm »

Not too long ago, I got the urge to play Minecraft again, and realized that they'd given me the "Bedrock Edition" free. Since the Java Edition is so badly optimized, I decided to try this out, and found it to run far better, even if it lacked a small number of features (most of which are expected to be added) from the Java Edition.

I just got around to realize that one of the currently missing  features is shields - I noticed that the newer combat elements were absent, but not that shields were gone. This is because the off-hand slot still exists, and is still identified with an icon of a shield.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #139002 on: October 16, 2018, 09:44:55 pm »

I don't know about "morally important" but when someone gets buying power without adding goods or services to the economy that means less buying power for me.  Also the deficit increase will result in less government services in the long run.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139003 on: October 16, 2018, 10:05:18 pm »

I just got around to realize that one of the currently missing  features is shields - I noticed that the newer combat elements were absent, but not that shields were gone. This is because the off-hand slot still exists, and is still identified with an icon of a shield.

Shields? Combat system? What the hell has become of this game?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139004 on: October 16, 2018, 10:08:47 pm »

In Java Edition, update 1.9 "The Combat Update" added attack recovery (your weapon takes time to be usable after an attack, so you can't just spam the click - axes are now more powerful than swords, but have a huge recovery time), blocking with a shield, and a few other features I never used. Those systems haven't made it to the Bedrock Edition (which replaces all console, portable, and the Windows 10 edition with one unified version) primarily because making it work with a touchscreen is tricky.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 9265 9266 [9267] 9268 9269 ... 11038