Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9238 9239 [9240] 9241 9242 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554531 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138585 on: October 04, 2018, 11:08:29 pm »

What he said. :v

/erases paragraphs
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138586 on: October 04, 2018, 11:10:22 pm »

So it's had time to actually stabilize then?

In that case, I wonder what the West African Pidgin version of a grammar nazi is like...  That will be my new WTF.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138587 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:51 pm »

I was learning Japanese, heard this particular site was good, and it had a free trial so I started it. Haven't had time to go back, and they're sending me daily reminders. However the WTF is that the recent emails have started to take a ... passive aggressive tone about me not logging in:

Do you really want to learn Japanese?

I've just taken a look at your study profile, and I can see your progress has stalled!

[Button: Get back to learning]

Before you even start to give me reasons, I will go ahead and debunk three of the most common excuses students give me when they stop learning

Go fuck your self, I don't need to give your company "reasons" or "excuses". now i just don't want to use your product at all.
Holy crap, it's like the "High Expectations Asian Parent" stereotype personified. O_O

Speaking of email-related WTFs, I had to rummage through mine to find and print a ticket earlier, and I noticed a lot of emails about resetting my Roblox account password. This wasn't in my spam folder. I suppose I could have made a Roblox account for some reason long ago and forgotten about it, and now somebody's either trying to steal it or simply flood me with annoying emails... or it's just spam or a scam that managed to sneak past my filter.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138588 on: October 05, 2018, 12:19:00 am »

RMIT researcher in Melbourne recently came up with a new font called Sans Forgetica. It's based on research showing that reading some fonts cause you to retain more information than others, so they iterated and tested fonts.

The WTF is exactly how awful the font is to read. The trick to boosting memory is in fact making it require a painful amount of concentration to read every word. Sans Forgetica has big chunks missing from the letters forcing you to mentally fill in the gaps and concentrate on what you're reading.

As a pro-tip Comic Sans actually has a better memory-retention rate than other more popular fonts. Although Monotype Corsiva also has a similar rate of memory-retention in studies and is less awful than the other two fonts I mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:25:50 am by Reelya »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #138589 on: October 05, 2018, 12:46:44 am »

I've never understood the vitriolic loathing people hold toward comic sans.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138590 on: October 05, 2018, 01:06:59 am »

When it's in small pt. it actually looks rather nice. Blow it up to 24 and I think you'd see the issues however.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138591 on: October 05, 2018, 01:50:02 am »

Typeface snobs are bit like fashion snobs, or interior decorating snobs.

At one point in the past, great care was taken to take readability, reproducibility and margin/gutter prediction into consideration when designing typefaces.  This is where you got things like Helvetica. 

In the modern world, you have just "aesthetic snobbery", which does not really factor such things--- and you also have the "Avant-garde" "art" fonts, and their ilk thrown into the mix.

Comic-Sans was created for a specific purpose-- Specifically, to emulate the kind of flowing print typeface used in golden age comic books. There was a kind of manual printing (as in, penmanship type printing) aesthetic that came with that, which is what Comic-Sans tries to emulate in a more or less standardized and reproducible form.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

(See also, some of the architectural/blueprint fonts out there, which do the same thing, except with a different aesthetic.)

Given that more professional papers should not be handwritten, or carry a hand-written aesthetic, (no matter how prim and proper that handwriting would have to be to emulate comic sans), comic-sans is a poor choice.  More "lead-block typeface" is historically the correct choice, which is why things like Helvetica (and clones), and Times New Roman are preferred.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:00:39 am by wierd »

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138592 on: October 05, 2018, 07:47:39 am »

Well now even the washing machine is giving me ants in my hands (electricity) feeling so I had to unplug it so I could place my laundry inside and then plug it back on.

What are the chances that two electric appliances get broken in the same month to the same person?
First the toaster, now the washing machine, next time I will probably get electrocuted while typing on my keyboard or something.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138593 on: October 05, 2018, 07:49:30 am »

Sounds like a faulty ground.

Get an outlet tester and see.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #138594 on: October 05, 2018, 08:12:51 am »

Y'all are actually acting REALLY racist about this too.
That is ridiculous. Joking about linguistic variation, or funny turns of phrase, does not make one racist. Certainly a certain race can be associated with a certain language.... but to say those who discredit the language are being racist is a calumny much greater than deserved.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #138595 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:52 am »

Yeah I mean we can make fun of Welsh and Scottish (which is a language) so I don't see why there should be a double standard here.

It's only when a linguistic phenomenon is an inaccurate stereotype (i.e. Ebonics) that it becomes racist IMO.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138596 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:09 am »

Yeah I mean we can make fun of Welsh and Scottish (which is a language) so I don't see why there should be a double standard here.

Scots, to be pedantic. When people talk about "talking Scottish" it's nearly always talking about Scottish English.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138597 on: October 05, 2018, 09:09:00 am »

I don't know, I think there's a difference between a light-hearted "how is Siobhan even pronounced" and "this isn't even a real language."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #138598 on: October 05, 2018, 09:15:07 am »

And no doubt any argument pertaining to the latter would consist of trying to define what a language is and where certain languages are placed within that. It would not contain anything racist such as "black people speak it, therefore it is inferior."

A certain linguistic snobbishness, perhaps, of which I am often guilty myself. But racist? Tell me another one guvnor.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138599 on: October 05, 2018, 09:32:29 am »

Scots, to be pedantic. When people talk about "talking Scottish" it's nearly always talking about Scottish English.

To be even more pedantic, Scots is a dialect, and also one that doesn’t have standardized rules in terms of how to spell things.

Scots Gaelic is a language, though. Not sure if people ever refer to that as “Scottish”, however.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 9238 9239 [9240] 9241 9242 ... 11039