Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9233 9234 [9235] 9236 9237 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556155 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138510 on: October 02, 2018, 12:33:57 am »

Honestly, if I experience myself doing something amazing, I'd rather chalk it up to myself just being awesome than aspergers anyway.
The thing a lot of people don’t understand about Aspergers is that it’s not just something you have, but it’s also something you are. There is no neurotypical person buried under the disorder just trying to break out and be free, it’s aspie all the way down. If neurologists somehow devised a treatment that reshapes the brain into a more neurotypical configuration, the patient would end up turning into a completely different person. It would be like killing one person and replacing them with another, and as you can imagine, people with Asperger’s don’t like the idea of being killed off.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:23:56 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #138511 on: October 02, 2018, 01:16:52 am »

And yet my mother, despite having a daughter with Aspergers, still goes on occasional rants about people who don't like Autism speaks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138512 on: October 02, 2018, 12:45:42 pm »

I've always found them to focus less on the lower end of the spectrum (like Asperger's) and more on severe cases. Make no mistake, severe cases of autism are not a thing a person should have to live with. We aren't talking about something like homosexuality, a thing where the solution is literally "basic understanding from society". Even moderate cases are not something a person should have to work through to succeed. The level of disadvantage those things can bring are real.

That said if that's how their upper management functions, that is certainly not ok. I still say they have an overall positive effect. And their literature they put out on their website does not show ignorance. There's not actually anything wrong with being a group that focuses on supporting/educating families and also funding research. Both of those are good things.

I don't think anyone is talking about mandatory treatments for curing adults/children living with Asperger's. My understanding is that preventing autism entirely is the main focus of modern research, since we aren't totally sure what even causes it. They suspect things like O2 deprivation, a chemical imbalance, etc, but there's no real consistency in cause.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138513 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »

Also: There's the part where they sue people who mention their name on say t-shirts

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138514 on: October 02, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »

Didn't the breast cancer awareness pink ribbon lady do that.

That is awful to do.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138515 on: October 02, 2018, 01:56:25 pm »

Honestly, most of the 'big name' charities and foundations claiming to speak for and assist people in various states are kinda shit. I think it's almost inevitable, corruption sets in and administrative costs balloon. I haven't exactly written a thesis about it, just something I've noticed.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #138516 on: October 02, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »

I'll only donate to the Human Fund. Its money for people, so its a good cause
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138517 on: October 02, 2018, 02:03:28 pm »

I'd rather found the "Take-A-Wish" Foundation
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138518 on: October 02, 2018, 02:04:25 pm »

They are the only ones I actually donate to.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138519 on: October 02, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »

Honestly, most of the 'big name' charities and foundations claiming to speak for and assist people in various states are kinda shit. I think it's almost inevitable, corruption sets in and administrative costs balloon. I haven't exactly written a thesis about it, just something I've noticed.
You want something small and effective, try "Give Directly". It's just small cash transfers to the ultra-poor in the middle of nowhere. They use satellites to look for thatched roofs, an indicator of extreme poverty.
One wheel short of a wagon

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138520 on: October 02, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »

Yeah, like I said, it's something I've notice specifically in big charities. It's also possible the smaller ones are as bad or worse on average, and just aren't subject to the same scrutiny. In which case, the idea that them being Bad because Big is Bunk.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138521 on: October 02, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »

Honestly, most of the 'big name' charities and foundations claiming to speak for and assist people in various states are kinda shit.
I don't fully agree with this.

I think it's almost inevitable, corruption sets in and administrative costs balloon. I haven't exactly written a thesis about it, just something I've noticed.
But as a person who is close with someone who works at a charity, I can at least tell you that you are on to something. An important thing to understand is that for a lot of charities the majority of their income doesn't come from the cumulative donations of the common folk (though the amount made from there is nothing to scoff at), but rather through the donations of a few large donors (specifically the government and rich people). As you can imagine, these wealthy few do have a certain level of influence on the organization. This isn't watergate though. They'd probably wish it were, but in the grand scheme of things a charity is not that powerful of an organization. The worst I've ever heard from my friend is that sometimes they'll hire the relative of a wealthy donor on the staff, and though they might not be as qualified as an individual from a humbler background, they're still doing charity work so it can't be that bad. Rich people do genuinely want to give back to their community, at least a little. It isn't just the tax break.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #138522 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »

I don't remember doing this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The hell was I high on??
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138523 on: October 02, 2018, 04:09:16 pm »

The hell was I high on??
Sobriety. That most terrible of afflictions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138524 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:37 pm »

A fey mood
Pages: 1 ... 9233 9234 [9235] 9236 9237 ... 11039