Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9223 9224 [9225] 9226 9227 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572679 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138360 on: September 27, 2018, 11:38:54 am »

They're the best birb: they're fed with into whole grains.

Fixed it for you. Also those poor birds. ;.;
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138361 on: September 27, 2018, 12:52:25 pm »

Seriously, the birbs are fine. It's the hedgehogs which are in trouble:

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/18/09/27/1739209/robot-lawnmowers-are-killing-hedgehogs

robot lawnmowers are killing hedgehogs

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #138362 on: September 27, 2018, 01:03:55 pm »

Seriously, the birbs are fine. It's the hedgehogs which are in trouble:

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/18/09/27/1739209/robot-lawnmowers-are-killing-hedgehogs

robot lawnmowers are killing hedgehogs

Gotta go fast hedgehog
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #138363 on: September 27, 2018, 01:04:10 pm »

First they mowed over the hedgehogs, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a hedgehog

Then they mowed over the raccoons, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a raccoon...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #138364 on: September 27, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138365 on: September 27, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »

There's apparently quite a lot of cancer in my family. My maternal grandfather had one cancer, got clean, then got hit with a second cancer that took him out (pancreatic). My paternal grandfather had colon cancer, had his colon operated out, and was confirmed as cancer-free... Then he got kidney cancer, had that operated out, was confirmed as being cancer-free again... And then he developed prostate cancer, had that cleaned up, and has been declared clean a third time.

His doctor told him that his case was effectively unique... The chance of developing three different types of cancer is, well, pretty unheard of. ...and then his wife went through a similar routine of three different cancers, and was similarly told that her case was unique.

And apparently his father, my great-grandfather, ended up dying from some sort of stomach/intestinal cancer. And his father before him died from some sort of gut cancer as well.

Just goes to show ya... If I don't take myself out before 60, I'll probably have a firing squad of cancers ready to do the job.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #138366 on: September 27, 2018, 04:53:50 pm »

His doctor told him that his case was effectively unique... The chance of developing three different types of cancer is, well, pretty unheard of. ....

and then his wife went through a similar routine of three different cancers, and was similarly told that her case was unique

As you might have guessed already by virtue of having two  "unique" cases, it isn't quite *that* rare. I mean, family factor aside, cancer is not that rare, and as (thankfully) treatments get better and more people survive, it also means that those people will get the chance to roll snake eyes again. And some tumors (like prostate cancer for instance) are really common.

Also, cancer therapy in itself can increase the risk of second cancers down the line. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy, obviously... but also procedures such as CT scans (and if you get cancer you're getting quite  a few CT scans).  Compromised immune systems also lead to increased cancer risk, and both the disease and therapies tend to lead to a compromised immune system

Edit: and a compromised immune system may in turn lead to different types of cancer which would normally be wiped out, to thrive.

And... well, I dont know your relative's lifestyles, but risk factors tend to increase the risk to more than one type of cancer, too.

As far as personal experience: first day in clinical practice in med school I met a guy with two simultaneous, distinct types of cancer.  I too was astonished by the coincidence... and by the attitude of the internal medicine physicians and the pathologists, who weren't all that surprised. I think that both tumors happening at the same time did prompt a proposal to screen the family for common cancer causing mutations, but I dont know if they actually followed through.

I've met (and on occasion treated) more, since. It's not exactly usual but it's not unique. In certain circumstances it's actually an immediate risk that you have to adjust for.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:58:34 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138367 on: September 27, 2018, 05:02:29 pm »

And then someone shows up with 12 types of cancer at once

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138368 on: September 27, 2018, 05:04:01 pm »

The deadly dozen.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138369 on: September 27, 2018, 05:08:27 pm »

The deadly dozen.

7 deadly cancers
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #138370 on: September 27, 2018, 05:09:10 pm »

Ah, the wonders of volume. If something has a 1 in a million chance of happening to someone on a given day, it will happen to 6000 people every day and it'll happen 2190000 times a year.

Statistics: you aren't special and everybody dies alone.

:P

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138371 on: September 27, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »

You know if my statistics class has put it that way I would have liked the professor more. 

It is literally the only math class I got better than a C in and the only math class outside of the basics of the basics I ever got practical meaningful use out of what I learned.  Shame the teacher was completely boring and humorless.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #138372 on: September 27, 2018, 07:26:17 pm »

Y'know, now that I think about it, isn't "everyone dies alone" wrong in a statistical sense? The odds of there not being someone else dying at the same time you are is pretty staggeringly slim, even if you discount the whole "you're all dying a slow death by age" or whatever. When you die, someone else is probably dying with you.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #138373 on: September 27, 2018, 07:39:04 pm »

Y'know, now that I think about it, isn't "everyone dies alone" wrong in a statistical sense? The odds of there not being someone else dying at the same time you are is pretty staggeringly slim, even if you discount the whole "you're all dying a slow death by age" or whatever. When you die, someone else is probably dying with you.

This is weirdly comforting.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138374 on: September 27, 2018, 07:42:30 pm »

This is weirdly comforting.

Not really weird to draw comfort from that. I find it comforting that some 96% of all humans have faced the test of death before me and one day it will be my turn to do the hardest and easiest thing in the world: die well.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9223 9224 [9225] 9226 9227 ... 11040