Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9140 9141 [9142] 9143 9144 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14567419 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137115 on: August 25, 2018, 03:08:14 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:22:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137116 on: August 25, 2018, 03:25:32 am »

The point is, Bioshock isn't like some "trve kvlt" black metal band on Facebook with only 15 regular listeners: It's known among the entire geekdom, and while not everybody likes Bioshock, most people who've played it do.

Sure, but Bioshock was looking at some political questions that nobody was talking about, so it was fresh, left-field and new to everyone.

Whereas the particular thing I was talking about is just grabbing some low-hanging-fruit topical issues then milking it. People already have issues-fatigue with that whole particular topic. That's what I mean by "political". Sure, Bioshock is about politics, but it does so by taking something really obscure and therefore novel to everyone to express the ideas, that's different to being "political" if you get my drift. For example, Roseanne making it that her character is a Trump supporter is "political" in the sense that I'm talking about, and so is making the entire premise of the show be an exploration of white male privilege. It's partisan, preachy, and overkill, since that issue is everywhere. And there's a big difference between injecting partisan party-political issues into a new show vs injecting that into some reboot. People have a right to be annoyed, the same way they had a right to get annoyed that Roseanne turned her show into a pro-Trump thing.

That's very different to how Bioshock approached the thing. Bioshock is more like philosophy than politics.

Sure, creators have a right to add whatever they want and tell us just to stop consuming that product if we don't like it, but that doesn't change the fact that some things are a shared cultural memory, and if you change the main stories in them to include issues that are split on party-political lines then you do in fact exclude people from enjoying those things, and you can't say it's "all good" if you're injecting things Democrats believe in, but it's terrible, unthinkable if you inject things Republicans believe in. That's just not a reasonable position to hold. It's either good for either side, or you do in fact have to respect that people you disagree with have a right to enjoy things too, and that the community as a whole has a stake in intellectual property that you can't just brush aside by calling people idiots for not getting on board.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:43:44 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #137117 on: August 25, 2018, 03:44:36 am »

Sure, but Bioshock was looking at some political questions that nobody was talking about, so it was fresh, left-field and new to everyone.

Whereas the particular thing I was talking about is just grabbing some low-hanging-fruit topical issues then milking it. People already have issues-fatigue with that whole particular topic. That's what I mean by "political". Sure, Bioshock is about politics, but it does so by taking something really obscure and therefore novel to everyone to express the ideas, that's different to being "political" if you get my drift. For example, Roseanne making it that her character is a Trump supporter is "political" in the sense that I'm talking about, and so is making the entire premise of the show be an exploration of white male privilege. That's very different to how Bioshock approached the thing.

And I'm not defending the thing you're talking about. I just wanted to say that the politics in media/culture were always there, ever since humans have learned to write books and compose music. And as for the preachy "white privilege" thingy, I do agree that it's "partisan, preachy and overkill"... And with that being said, Hideo Kojima also has preached in Metal Gear Solid 1 that "nukes are bad", which was probably an unique stance for a video game, but definitely not for the other type of media (*cough* Dr. Strangelove, Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica *cough*). Just sayin'.

And just a fun fact: There is a decently sized chunk of Bioshock's fanbase rooting for Andrew Ryan, despite the game showing his libertarian utopia being in utter anarchy.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137118 on: August 25, 2018, 03:47:56 am »

Yep, that's why Bioshock is more like philosophy. It asks questions, it's not preaching to you that there are answers. Right or left wing people can find their own answers in the issues raised.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #137119 on: August 25, 2018, 05:20:12 am »

Eh, they're remaking the "Bewitched" series but it's a big SJW thing now. A black single mother who's a witch marries some lame-ass cis white male and discovers that white male privilege trumps having magic powers. That's the pitch.

I'm sure it'll be a fan favorite with like 5% of the population who enjoy having politics infused into all their TV shows. And I'm not being biased here, I was appalled that Roseanne turned her whole show into a Trump supporter thing.

While the concept could be interesting, it's something that sounds like it would work much better as a movie than a TV show. I'd be skeptical of the ability to keep this fresh every week, and I'd suspect that the overlap of groups interested to watch the premise on an ongoing basis would be quite small.
But it's so <easy>

Take a beloved IP franchise, put no effort into its unnecessary sequel, make it political. Hey presto, you can make it a didactic laughtrack show and all of your critics are racist Russian shills, while you get to retain your new and old IP as you can legally prove you're still doing stuff with it. That and you do have the power of pandering involved, which is never to be underestimated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137120 on: August 25, 2018, 06:08:13 am »

This thread is just... "beautiful", to say the least.
On the one hand, holy shit... But on the other hand, I feel it's kind of disrespectful to drag that into other threads and hang the guy out.

RE: Politics, I also found it quite funny when people were calling out the likes of Tom Morello, Pearl Jam and Neil Young for "getting political" in recent years. And yes, of course Roger Waters as well.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137121 on: August 25, 2018, 06:12:27 am »

Thought I was going to be like, an hour and a half or so late, but somehow managed to get here in time to hear the very end of the first band's set.
It was mostly the later two bands that I came to see, so hopefully this is a good thing...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137122 on: August 25, 2018, 06:41:54 am »

Interesting to learn that American English has a lot of silent 'T's which you normally associate with e.g. Cockney English.

Learned this through Batman. Non-American English speakers clear enunciate the T as in "I'm Bat-man", with the exhalation of breath after the T audible, whereas in American it sounds like "I'm Bah-man" with no clear T sound in the middle.

A youtube video I just saw reminded me about that, and it makes the silent-T thing even more obvious. The phrase is "scientists can't explain" but it sounds identical to "can- explain". There's no T there.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:45:50 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137123 on: August 25, 2018, 06:55:05 am »

I dunno about you but that T is clearly audible.

On the one hand, holy shit... But on the other hand, I feel it's kind of disrespectful to drag that into other threads and hang the guy out.

Yes please, don't do that.

RE: Politics, I also found it quite funny when people were calling out the likes of Tom Morello, Pearl Jam and Neil Young for "getting political" in recent years. And yes, of course Roger Waters as well.
What do you mean Neil Young where clearly never political and neither was Bruce Springsteen ever
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #137124 on: August 25, 2018, 07:01:05 am »

Uh, yeah, the t is clearly audible. Similarly even in hicksvilles stateside even the drunks pronounce the t in batman.

... maybe time for a hearing check, ree?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137125 on: August 25, 2018, 07:03:13 am »

Today I learned that Americans have not only low standards for politics, water, healthcare and education, but also T pronunciations. It is terrifying.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #137126 on: August 25, 2018, 07:06:54 am »

Also apparently hearing care is the one area of healthcare we do well in!

... which is amazing considering near as I've noticed we barely touch the stuff and people will stubbornly refuse to wear hearing aids even when they badly need them. Maybe it's something in the water that's not deadly, for once...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137127 on: August 25, 2018, 07:08:37 am »

As an american, the t in that can't is is NOT clearly audible. Some americans, a minority really, really do pronounce t differently. Here's some examples, though I pronounce the t in all the 4.1 examples.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137128 on: August 25, 2018, 07:12:54 am »

T? We haven't had T since 1773!

Also, is this the time where I link to Baman and Piderman?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137129 on: August 25, 2018, 07:13:28 am »

Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9140 9141 [9142] 9143 9144 ... 11040