Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9139 9140 [9141] 9142 9143 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14567670 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137100 on: August 24, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »

At least she was sentenced.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137101 on: August 24, 2018, 01:23:13 pm »

For the college girl, the most charitable interpretation is that she was completely naive about the ramifications, when she made the charges, but once made, she couldn't backtrack on it. It's possible that she told the guy they raped her, but then it snowballed and the college investigators, and then the police all got involved. He big mistake was not owning up to the lie before it got out of hand then.

The least charitable interpretation is that she just knowingly ruined some people's lives for purely selfish reasons.

For that Gallagher woman I have a suspicion she's not 100% in the mental faculties.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:25:02 pm by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #137102 on: August 24, 2018, 02:56:28 pm »

Google Docs is apparently auto-placing n't when I press the " ' " key.

Problem is, it still types an additional apostrophe. So you get "wasn't'".

Why do these software programs have to be smart?

Thankfully it only seems to be affecting the word "wasn't" on Docs, but all the same, it's irritating. Can anyone help me fix the issue?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137103 on: August 24, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »

Google Docs is apparently auto-placing n't when I press the " ' " key.

Problem is, it still types an additional apostrophe. So you get "wasn't'".

Why do these software programs have to be smart?

Thankfully it only seems to be affecting the word "wasn't" on Docs, but all the same, it's irritating. Can anyone help me fix the issue?

Tools>Preferences>Uncheck Automatic Substitution

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137105 on: August 24, 2018, 08:30:47 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137106 on: August 24, 2018, 08:40:50 pm »

Its more than cool, its culture.  Its a reminder of how technology can protect us.  And its hope for the people to make them.  Theyre ^^ cool
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137107 on: August 24, 2018, 09:09:10 pm »

Well in this case it's less technology saving us and more technology delivering a message from hundreds of years ago that tells us that we're fucked and all gonna starve to death.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137108 on: August 24, 2018, 09:18:29 pm »

Absorb the philosophic irony of it all.

Embrace the cycle.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137109 on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:06 pm »

Rape is like the perfect storm of awful in our legal system; it's both one of the most traumatizing events, and also leaves very little evidence (barring a pregnancy) unless you manage to bring yourself to a hospital or police station to get a rape kit done (which then, often, goes ignored anyway.)

Personally, I tend to be on the side of "believe the victim," because very few people would knowingly subject themselves to the legal process and under-the-social-microscope attacks that rape survivors go through when they come forward (especially if they don't do it anonymously) but because of that "very few" rather than "literally none," we still need to go through the legal process of evidence, testimony, cross-examination.

Things would be a lot easier if people just didn't lie. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137110 on: August 24, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »

Even if nobody could lie, people would still be mistaken. Human memories aren't the most reliable or accurate storage mediums.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137111 on: August 25, 2018, 12:30:56 am »

Eh, they're remaking the "Bewitched" series but it's a big SJW thing now. A black single mother who's a witch marries some lame-ass cis white male and discovers that white male privilege trumps having magic powers. That's the pitch.

I'm sure it'll be a fan favorite with like 5% of the population who enjoy having politics infused into all their TV shows. And I'm not being biased here, I was appalled that Roseanne turned her whole show into a Trump supporter thing.

While the concept could be interesting, it's something that sounds like it would work much better as a movie than a TV show. I'd be skeptical of the ability to keep this fresh every week, and I'd suspect that the overlap of groups interested to watch the premise on an ongoing basis would be quite small.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:50:12 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #137112 on: August 25, 2018, 02:40:13 am »

This thread is just... "beautiful", to say the least.

I'm sure it'll be a fan favorite with like 5% of the population who enjoy having politics infused into all their TV shows. And I'm not being biased here, I was appalled that Roseanne turned her whole show into a Trump supporter thing.

95% of the population ADORE media like Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Punk Rock, Pink Floyd, Star Trek, and... a lot of the other stuff with a message in them. Hell, I still laugh my ass off when I get reminded that Trumpsters were angry at Roger Waters for him going against their toupee-wearing God on his concerts...

My point is that politics in media are neither bad or good: They're tools to complement the storytelling/songwriting/whatever. When it's the storytelling complementing the politics, then yes, the creator has fucked up majorly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:46:51 am by CABL »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137113 on: August 25, 2018, 02:52:58 am »

95% of the population definitely do not adore things like punk rock. I love punk rock, but that's just patently untrue. A punk-infused thing would be popular, but with a niche audience. I also think you're overestimating how many of the population are even down with some of things there such as Bioshock, which is way more popular than punk. if you think 95% of people are down with  that stuff then maybe you're only mixing in a small subset of people so you don't have a broader idea of exactly how unknown all the geek/alt stuff actually is on a worldwide scale.

For example, a lot of Japanese cultural stuff that almost everyone on bay12 would have at least heard of, you often find that most Japanese people haven't actually heard of it. Being on the fringe gives you an extremely skewed opinion of both what's popular, and what's even well-known.

Mostly, it's not a problem, however when people are creating a product and they expect it to get some kind of audience, that sort of "echo-chamber" and "yes-man" effect can lead them to be very disappointed, confused, lose a lot of money, and blame others for some idea failing when everyone one of the friends they pitched it to thought it was an awesome idea.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:59:08 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #137114 on: August 25, 2018, 02:57:16 am »

95% of the population definitely do not adore things like punk rock. I love punk rock, but that's just patently untrue. A punk-infused thing would be popular, but with a niche audience. I also think you're overestimating how many of the population are even down with some of things there such as Bioshock, which is way more popular than punk.
I was a bit metaphorical and overexaggerating: What I meant is that there are a lot of people who like things like Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, and Punk Rock. They don't have to be immensely popular, but it's the truth that the things like Bioshock and Punk Rock have a solid and devoted fanbase. And in the case of Metal Gear Solid and Pink Floyd... they're known to almost every music fan/gamer.

Yes, I do realize that I worded it a bit incorrectly. Hell, I even now realized that my "95% of the population" was in a bit of a mocking tone, which I seriously didn't intent to invoke. The point is, Bioshock isn't like some "trve kvlt" black metal band on Facebook with only 15 regular listeners: It's known among the entire geekdom, and while not everybody likes Bioshock, most people who've played it do.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:10:31 am by CABL »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 9139 9140 [9141] 9142 9143 ... 11040