Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8869 8870 [8871] 8872 8873 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520034 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133050 on: April 24, 2018, 06:34:34 pm »

Just read a post from r/braincels.

My eyes found the sentence "I can only hear the same shit from every single woman so many times before I (rightfully) generalize them." And that's where my reading stopped. I'm not even going to bother with the comments.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133051 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »

I'm generally in the 'stereotypes exist for a reason' camp.

I think its worth at least seeing where it goes.  The lashback comments may also have some intelligent attempts to dissuade him or talk to each other.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133052 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »

It's the result of intense feelings of sexual inadequacy after the (perceived or real) experience of being rejected. Specifically, it's a condensed version of "nice guy syndrome", wherein someone misinterprets common media portrayals of "what women really want", sees themselves as exhibiting those traits, and then harbors a deep resentment against "bad boys" and the women ignorant enough to fall for them. They, as stated, are the embodiment of all the traits they were told that women were attracted to, so the fault must lie with everyone else.

The resulting frustration and envy festers into a mess of misogyny ("women are all liars/hypocrites for telling me these things and then ignoring me") and worse. Incel culture was predominantly based around "exposing" women as being attracted purely to superior physical genetics, and basically just sitting around feeling oppressed because they couldn't get their dicks wet. Also plenty of animosity against such "alpha males" blessed with innate good looks and a genetic predisposition to athleticism ("Chads"), who were generally considered to serve no other purpose than having all the sex with everything.

Incel culture was further split up into Volcels (voluntary celibate) and Braincels, among others. Volcels were the real cream of the crop, incels who had grown so venomous towards the outside world that they didn't even want to partake in it anymore (most incels still held out hope of someday "beating the system" and doing a sex. Volcels had given up on this idea, and were now repulsed by it), and were more interested in actively breaking it down and punishing everyone who'd taken part.

Braincels I don't know much about, seems to be a newer mutation.

So, basically, exactly the kind of people who shouldn't get stuck in an echo chamber.

Just read a post from r/braincels.

My eyes found the sentence "I can only hear the same shit from every single woman so many times before I (rightfully) generalize them." And that's where my reading stopped. I'm not even going to bother with the comments.

You've seen nothing yet. Nothing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133053 on: April 24, 2018, 06:41:49 pm »

Went looking for recorded remnants of Incel to understand more about why they were banned and what motivated the attack.

Found numerous examples of advocating (and in fact, demanding) the rape and outright murder of women, with a healthy dose of incest. I won't post the quotes or links.

This was a place for the mentally disturbed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133054 on: April 24, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »

Braincels I don't know much about, seems to be a newer mutation.

In the 30 seconds I spent on the Reddit, I gleaned enough info to gather that Braincels liken themselves as intellectuals, perhaps believing that the celibate lifestyle grants them wisdom similarly to asceticism. Though it's obvious from anyone's perspective that it's just another symptom of their inferiority complex and any likeness to actual intellectualism is purely coincidental, they're just as sterile intellectually as they are physically.

I could be more sure of this assumption on my part if I spent more than 30 seconds there, but honestly that was too long and venturing in again is too dangerous. The ambient toxicity will kill me for sure.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133055 on: April 24, 2018, 08:01:02 pm »

Figured as much. There's actually a precedent for that, a few folks throughout history have pledged themselves to celibacy in order to increase their scientific capacity. Such individuals include Nikola Tesla and our very own Armok (the user).

There was another branch called TruCels, but I've completely forgotten what their deal was. I believe they were another evolution of the standard incel, becoming more pronounced recluses, but I don't remember what separates them from the volcels.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133056 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:52 pm »

In some respects, the "I am everything a woman (supposedly) wants!" line of thinking is correct, but in other ways not.

Like most people, most women (since women are people) dont really know what they want, and suffer internal conflicts.  What they cerebrally consider ideal is boring. (the dependable man who is not very demanding, is gentle and kind, who blah blah blah---you get the idea.) Physical attraction is more... chemical, or instinctual. It does not care about reliability of finances, or things of that nature. Humans suffer both kinds impulse, and so suffer systemically from such conflicts, but normally are not aware of them, and so deny them when they are brought up.

This leads to situations where women will rave one day about the "Great sex" in their relationship, (ahem-- leaning heavily toward the physically active "rough" kind here. Ahem) then complain about how their partner can be physically abusive the next.  Both are consequences of seeking a partner with high testosterone levels, which can lead to increased violent behaviors. (see also, roid rage.) The desire to seek a partner with high testosterone levels is tied to innate desire for high reproductive fitness, which is not something people tend to think about, but instead just innately do.

It is also what leads to the "I want a nice, gentle man!" rhetoric, which is the cerebral counterswing to the above. However, this man, who's behavior is usually indiciative of lower testosterone levels, often has lower sex drive, and is not as "passionate", and thus not as satisfying-- and so you have the unsatisfiable set of conflicting demands of "I want a man who is super gentle like a puppy, but will also fuck me like a tiger, and will beat the shit out of bad guys, without scaring the neighbors."

That's just one of the "impossible" scenarios of "The perfect man".  The perfect man does not exist, and cannot exist. The best you can get is a compromise somewhere on the axis of measurement. Likewise with "Perfect Woman."  Exactly where that compromise is made is specific to each individual, and the degree to which side of their nature has the most influence over the other.

Given the lack of introspection over this reality, and instead the "sour grapes" type mindset that has been fomented, I am lax to consider these individuals to be either inspired or intellectual about their position. Instead, I am rather amused at the idea that they felt they would have greater reproductive success by emulating the less reproductively fit among the masculine set.

Then, I also have a pang of deep concern;  I am asexual, and male. I have never really wanted physical companionship. The idea is moot to me. However, the possibility that I will be conflated with people harboring deep resentments like this, and thus be considered a closeted misogynist or dangerous element cannot be ignored. I wish to distance myself from these people because of this. The problem; How do you denounce that, without falling victim to "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." type reactions in others?

Why do people have to be so damn complicated?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:45:53 pm by wierd »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133057 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:19 pm »

For a second I thought 'braincels' was some kind of dumb misspelling of something related to brain physiology or AI or something.

I'm going to say 'something' again, because ethanol.

Also, I want to lament about how a third-party supplier at work is stonewalling that their product is "perfect" even though the reality is that they made some assumptions, just as my company did, because the requirements were vague. And because of the vague requirements, the two pieces don't play nice together. But instead of working to solve the problem, they are just saying "this other thing should have done X".  When there was no documentation anywhere saying "should" about X.  Or about X at all in fact.

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133058 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:22 pm »

Nice how that works, isn't it?

Always research your purchases before you make them. If you have a specific use in mind, check for other users or buyers that have had that use in mind, and see if you can get testimonials.

Sadly, most people are not "informed consumers", and instead fall victim to Caveat Emptor's bad side, rather than its good side.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133059 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:20 pm »

Then, I also have a pang of deep concern;  I am asexual, and male. I have never really wanted physical companionship. The idea is moot to me. However, the possibility that I will be conflated with people harboring deep resentments like this, and thus be considered a closeted misogynist or dangerous element cannot be ignored. I wish to distance myself from these people because of this. The problem; How do you denounce that, without falling victim to "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." type reactions in others?

Why do people have to be so damn complicated?

I'd tell you to not sweat the small stuff like that Wierd, but with the recent Van attack by that that incel loser, it's not implausible that that, or one or two more, incidents like that may trigger some kind of irrational public sentiment, perhaps making "Incel" synonymous with "terrorist cell" in the minds of the incurious layperson.

Where did your scientist avatar go anyways? And is your name a misspelling of Weird, or Wired?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133060 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:38 pm »

@Weird
I mean, frankly, if you tell people you aren't interested in sex, and they call you a closeted misogynist, then you are around the wrong kind of people. That's ridiculous, and sort of toxic of them.

You do you. I was barely interested in sex throughout my teens/20's. There's better things to do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:58:25 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133061 on: April 24, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »

Just don't worry about it.

You not having physical relationships, or even close live-in ones, isn't really a big deal.  The issue tends to be one of trying too hard to distinguish yourself.  Either you try too hard to get a relationship or (worse) try too hard to prove you dont need/want one.

P: bring out the bay12 support squad!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #133062 on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »

My school was open. the WTF part? The school had no water

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133063 on: April 24, 2018, 09:29:46 pm »

@Weird
I mean, frankly, if you tell people you aren't interested in sex, and they call you a closeted misogynist, then you are around the wrong kind of people. That's ridiculous, and sort of toxic of them.

You do you. I was barely interested in sex throughout my teens/20's. There's better things to do.

The issue, is that no man is an island, and while one must love themselves to love others, one can also do very little to change of influence the behaviors or opinions of others (which again, we must live with in harmony to be happy people) when they take to certain notions.

Take for instance, the heated discussions about "feminism", and some of the blatantly single sided views taken by members of either side of that sordid affair. It can spill over into real problems, through such things as doxxing, and even swatting in some cases.

Given the increasing trends toward increased, rather than decreased, galvaization and polarization of the social dynamic over the past decade, the emergence of this event causes me great concern.  I am just some guy who likes to pet his cats before bed, plays video games, and enjoys making the occasional crochet or knit item as a means to wind down after work. I don't get any jollies from contemplating how to blow people up, or run them over. I have no senitments either way against or for either gender, I just am. However, this is "unbelievable" to many people already, and I acknowledge that. In an increasingly polarized climate, the ability of others to believe this will diminish.

It is this which gives me concern.  How to properly distance myself from the people who do get such jollies, in the face of people with ever increasing degrees of subjective bias and demands for social justice, without "protesting too much", and appearing insincere.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133064 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:17 pm »

My school was open. the WTF part? The school had no water
My school has no water 50% of the time. I'm used to it, heh.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 8869 8870 [8871] 8872 8873 ... 11037