Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8868 8869 [8870] 8871 8872 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520247 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133035 on: April 24, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

Westboro Baptist Church is showing up in my city. Oh boy.
People like them are surprisingly hard to ignore. :(
The yelling and obnoxious signs contribute to that significantly.
so far the only people to get them to fuck off when they're doing that are the satanic temple.
what they did was odd but it worked.

As a Christian, I can provide these 10 insider facts on that will help you combat this extremist and obnoxious menace.

1 ) They are weak to fire attacks.
2 ) A spray bottle will keep them off your screen door.
3 ) Westboro Church members navigate by echolocation. A white noise generator will confuse and disorient them.
4 ) Leave your trash in a high place.
5 ) A logical paradox will cause a feedback loop, destroying their AI core.
6 ) They can flatten their rib cages to fit under doors and small cracks. Caulk everything.
7 ) Grease the poles for your bird feeders or use a roller-feeder.
8 ) The presence of garlic or silver causes extreme distress, and UV light can cause instant disintegration in all but the most ancient specimens.
9 ) They are attracted to stagnant pools of water in which to build their enigmatic nests.
10 ) They are a bunch of ridiculously stupid ingrates with a pedantic devotion to deliberate ignorance and an addiction to hatred and fear. Just ignore them, they thrive off of negative attention.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133036 on: April 24, 2018, 01:24:11 pm »

One thing which surprises me in America (trigger warning) is that there's so many massacres of country music fans and not of religious hate groups.
It is because — hold on, you should be sitting down for this — it is because there are way more country music fans than religious hate groups in the US.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133037 on: April 24, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »

Wait I'm confused.  Country music.  Is that that kind of music where the singer's wife always cheats on him with another man, steals his truck, and takes his dog with her?   I kinda thought there were only a few songs you could write with that premise.

Now heavy metal, that's where it's at.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133038 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:17 pm »

Sabaton was recently in Australia.
Peeps be keen.

Speaking of, obligatory “Lest we forget”. Did a dawn service. Boring and tired.
Feeling sufficiently patriotic though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #133039 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:37 pm »

T’be fair, country music fans don’t engender hostility just by being country music fans.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133040 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:34 pm »

Wait I'm confused.  Country music.  Is that that kind of music where the singer's wife always cheats on him with another man, steals his truck, and takes his dog with her?   I kinda thought there were only a few songs you could write with that premise.

There are. It turns out you can write each one thousands of times and the fans don't notice the similarity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133041 on: April 24, 2018, 03:22:28 pm »

Labeling all country as only that stuff is about the same as someone thinking that all metal is just Motley Crue, Poison and Def Leppard. And trust me, there are plenty of people who even now don't realize metal is more than big hair and make-up.

Basically, any music style that y'all are not familiar with is guaranteed to be way more complex than you expect. Bluegrass and Rockabilly were both offshoots of country music, just a different branch to the commercial stuff. And you had "outlaw country" ala Willie Nelson, folk country, ala John Denver etc etc.

So, this is country music too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWMLA5hrp4

Also, the legendary Hasil Adkins. A blues/country/rockabilly singer/guitarist dating from the 1950s onwards who played guitar while playing drums with his feet, sang songs about fucking and decapitation, and had a penchant for shooting things. e.g. one time a ceiling fan was making a noise that annoyed him while playing a song so he drew his gun and shot it, without missing a beat of the song. Also, he lived out in the sticks in West Virginia, and his record label manager in NY recalls a phone call where Hasil yells out "hold on, I gotta shoot me some dinner" and starts shooting at a bird outside the window while on the phone call. Apparently, he was meat-obsessed and carried sausages around in his pockets, and ...

Hasil Adkins loved to eat meat, specifically poultry, the subject of many of his songs. Following the release of 2000's Poultry in Motion, Adkins toured with "dancing go-go chicken" dancers.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:48:26 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133042 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:08 pm »

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals also have country tendencies, and get categorized as such.

Let's also not neglect to mention that Johnny Cash is grouped under Country as well.

This is pretty much the origin of the statement "there's good country and bad country". Like, just because they're nominally in the same category, you don't generally see people comparing High Elder Nelson to Garf Boops.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #133043 on: April 24, 2018, 04:34:13 pm »

Let's not forget Merle Haggard, Don Williams, Josh Turner, Randy Travis, and other various greats. Some of their songs are the most heart touching that I've heard. E.g. Don Williams' Good Ole Boys.

The new pop country is rather different and disappointing in comparison.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133044 on: April 24, 2018, 05:19:06 pm »

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals also have country tendencies, and get categorized as such.

The Cowboy junkies too. Style referred to as Alt-country. Good if you're in the mood for chill music.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133045 on: April 24, 2018, 05:26:19 pm »

Apparently the van attack in Toronto was a goddamn incel channer terror action. What the actual everloving fuck.

They're leaking into the real world now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133046 on: April 24, 2018, 05:30:20 pm »

While ringing up a transaction on the card reader a customer asked "what if i made a mistake? Press 'x'?" to which i responded "y". I have no idea why i did that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133047 on: April 24, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »

Apparently the van attack in Toronto was a goddamn incel channer terror action. What the actual everloving fuck.

They're leaking into the real world now.

I swear this was the plot of some lame cop show my mother was watching recently

Double? Oops
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133048 on: April 24, 2018, 05:33:37 pm »

Huh? Had to look up incels, though now that I do, i recall having heard the word a while back.

I have a hunch that e.g. mgtows would really despise incels. mgtow philosophy is that relationships are a pointless P.I.T.A., so don't bother, just smoke bongs, play video games ... whatever your thing is: focus on being yourself. Incels would seem to be the opposite of that: they want the relationships, can't get it, and are all whiny and shit about it. mgtows are all about being outside the Matrix, whereas Incels are all about being outside the Matrix, but wanting back in.

The thing is, i can respect quite a bit of the mgtow philosophy, which is a straight up rejection of all the bullshit in the dating game, marriage, and traditional expectations of the male role in society. You can go somewhere with that, and engage with it as a valid philosophical basis to build from as a forward-looking perspective about the role of men in society.

That incel stuff, however, has exactly zero redeeming qualities or value to it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:08:43 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133049 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:37 pm »

This is pretty much the origin of the statement "there's good country and bad country".
"good country and most country" more like

Would swear the stuff getting mainlined for a wide cultural group in the US was the worst thing to ever happen to the overall genre's general quality. Poor thing. Bout like your average spat of (newer-ish) protestant gospel in the states, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8868 8869 [8870] 8871 8872 ... 11037