Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8864 8865 [8866] 8867 8868 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520748 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132975 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:08 am »

My mother literally just shook me awake, telling that I'm snoring too loud. Then I hear the TV in the next room turned all the way up. Then my stepdad turns the radio all the way up. Only the radio has been turned off so far, because my mom thinks that he "got the point across".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132976 on: April 23, 2018, 12:47:16 am »

Im not saying your parents are insane, but theyre completely insane and you really should find a roommate to bunk with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132977 on: April 23, 2018, 01:57:58 am »

Sounds like that's exactly the hint his parents are trying to give him
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132978 on: April 23, 2018, 02:27:06 am »

Somebody killed four people no more than 12 minutes away from my work, while completely naked aside from a jacket, and then ran off into the night. He is still not found.

Wut? Who is the main suspect? Larry Niven?
Some white supremacist I think. Ironic I guess that he got ran off by an unarmed black guy.
I heard he was actually a radicalized nudist monk
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:29:37 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132979 on: April 23, 2018, 04:40:01 am »

Now he's sleeping on the couch, screaming at his dogs(most of whom are in the next room) in his sleep.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132980 on: April 23, 2018, 05:06:30 am »

Windows 10 cloudbook.

Wants to install the fall creators update, because it hasnt been able to install updates for almost a year, because of cram-packed 32gb eMMC storage device.
I maul the thing with disk compression. Defragment afterwards. Maul it some more with drive compression. Defragment it afterwards.. uninstall things.... Finally get a few gb free, only for the installer to fail repeatedly and silently....   Turns out it wants a whopping 8gb of space. Thats a whole 1/4 of the drive.

I prune, I squash, I finagle..... and I get 8.1gb free.  I run the installer.  3 hours later, it drags up to 88% installed.

GOD I hate microsoft.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132981 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:30 am »

8.1GB is not going to be enough space for a 8GB install. It's going to need some extra space for file decompression and copying.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132982 on: April 23, 2018, 05:33:07 am »

No, the installer wants that much free.  The installer image is 4gb in size. Win10 is already installed, this is the update. It is up to 92% installed, and has 4gb free.

The WTF, is that manufacturers are pushing these "cloud" books with such crippled storage. Win10 should not be on anything smaller than 64gb, IMHO-- not if you actually intend to use it anyway.

I had to pull every dirty rotten trick in the book to get that much space free, including turning on disk compression, turning on compressed OS with DISM, using the command line compression tool to change the compression type to the most crushinating kind the system supports--- and just BARELY got enough free to satisfy the installer.

Really, this thing has been failing to install updates silently for a very long time, and finally this resulted in the windows store not working, prompting the resident that owns it to ask for help.  So, for the past 3 days I have been battling it, and its update issues.

Would all be SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier if the maker had spent a few extra dollars on an NGFF socket instead of a soldered on eMMC gimmick of the smallest size the NAND chip maker makes.

But *NO*.

Why do I hate Microsoft? Because they certify these garbage devices for win10, even though they *KNOW* you cant easily update them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:42:51 am by wierd »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132983 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:33 am »

--
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:52:43 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132984 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:05 am »

Considering you are not in the US, is there no oversight organization you can denounce that corporation to?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132985 on: April 23, 2018, 10:11:16 am »

Over here your management would have been obliged to make 4 persons lift that guy. 25kg max per person for jobs that require regular lifting like disability care.
Ofcourse, we don't actually use 4 persons, we just have all kinds of tools and machines to help lift disabled people into their bed, in a bath, etc.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132986 on: April 23, 2018, 10:28:30 am »

Is... is that not the intended symptom of caffeine?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132987 on: April 23, 2018, 10:30:02 am »

Yes.

Coffee is good.  Coffee even increases your metabolism.

Funny you should mention coffee, I actually am trying to off myself from it.  I think maybe do tea instead?  Perhaps it will be less 'impactful'?  Any recommendations for a coffee addict looking to switch over to tea?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132988 on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:36 am »

Just succumb and start drinking black coffee like I do now. Apparently there's numerous health benefits of questionable veracity, so it's not like it's unhealthy.

Coffee is basically a form of tea anyway. 

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132989 on: April 23, 2018, 10:35:47 am »

Caffeine apparently has a laundry list of positive side-effects, surprisingly.
Other than headaches, I'm not sure it actually has a withdrawal.

oversight organization
Not really. I covered my ass by reporting it, so work covered their ass by making me get a doctor to clear me, at which point the doctor covered their ass by telling me to come back next week.
Everyone is doing the 'right thing', it just so happens to end with me being shafted.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 8864 8865 [8866] 8867 8868 ... 11037