Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8834 8835 [8836] 8837 8838 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519964 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132525 on: April 11, 2018, 03:37:11 pm »

Sorry, Chairman Poo.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132526 on: April 11, 2018, 03:37:29 pm »

wait are we trying to get goats or cars

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132527 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

You canīt ****  a car. Just saying.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132528 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:41 pm »

Wait, you can't?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132529 on: April 11, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »

Not with that attitude!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #132530 on: April 11, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »

You canīt ****  a car. Just saying.
The inversion of that is more true.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132531 on: April 11, 2018, 04:26:47 pm »

Oh goodness folks!

If you switch, the probability of getting the car is equal to the probability your initial guess was not the car.  The probability your first guess was the car is only 1 in 3.  So the probability switching gives you the car is 2 in 3.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #132532 on: April 11, 2018, 04:37:45 pm »

Instead of going in circles and saying the exact same thing, I'll reformulate this reasoning - the mistake pikachu makes is assuming that there are only 2 possibilities - being a goat or the car.

In reality, the initially picked door has 3 possible contents: goat #1, goat #2 and the car, which are all just as likely as each other. The rest follows immediately from that.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132533 on: April 11, 2018, 05:02:10 pm »

I originally had a lot of trouble with this one, as a delving into the forum's sordid past will show. Much of my issue had to do with how it had been explained to me previously, with people trying to state that staying with your choice was a 50% success chance, while swapping would be 66%. The problem with that explanation should be obvious.

The esteemed Chairman has already broken down the salient points better than I could (notably: the doors aren't important; the host is).

An important note to remember is that the car never moves. Before the start of the game, the car is placed behind one of the available doors, with equal probability for each. The car's position does not change when you initially pick a door, nor does it change when one of the doors it is not behind gets opened by Monty.

Also remember that this is specifically made to screw with how our brains think... it's supposed to not make sense. There's a reason it's called the Monty Hall Problem and not the Monty Hall Reasonable Thing.

Additionally, I like goats. Not the way our honorable Chairman likes goats; I like them in a purely platonic sense.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132534 on: April 11, 2018, 05:09:46 pm »

I like goats for their eating habits.

Also, I think its not infrequent to struggle to understand it at first.  I didnt understand it when I was a teen, and found the whole thing asinine. Then I revisited it years later and suddenly everything clicked together and I had this feeling of... enlightement? It feels really funny because once you realize the logic behind monty hall you kind of wonder how you could see it otherwise. The whole perspective flips. Pikachu, I promise that sooner or later you'll see it and you'll feel amazed as well.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132535 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:28 pm »

I was first exposed to it in some pop sci rag back in the day, alongside another zinger about how 0.999... is == 1.

I've never had that explained to me, and I'm not sure I want it to be.

Also,
I like goats for their eating habits.

...filth...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132536 on: April 11, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »

I was first exposed to it in some pop sci rag back in the day, alongside another zinger about how 0.999... is == 1.

Here's a try at a quick explanation:

The difference between 0.999... and 1 gets smaller the farther out you go with the series of 9s. Go infinitely far, and the difference is infinitely small, or 0.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132537 on: April 11, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »

Here's a try at a quick explanation:

The difference between 0.999... and 1 gets smaller the farther out you go with the series of 9s. Go infinitely far, and the difference is infinitely small, or 0.
Here's another one
1/3=0.333.....
0.333...x3=0.999...
1/3x3=3/3=1
0.999..=3/3=1

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #132538 on: April 11, 2018, 05:38:01 pm »

Jesus Christ guys let's not go from one maths problem to another one.

Let's stick with teh fist wan!

The esteemed Chairman has already broken down the salient points better than I could (notably: the doors aren't important; the host is).

The doors are important, the host just gives you information on them. Specifically, they know where the car is, and they're not going to show you where it is.

The odds remain the same throughout the problem; that's where I think people get tripped up.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132539 on: April 11, 2018, 05:39:13 pm »

But that's just it, it becomes infinitely small, not "no difference at all". I can easily accept that it's "close enough" or "effectively the same", but that does not mean it is exactly equal. This is mathematics, not engineering.

An infinitely large fraction is as much the whole number as an infinite number of zeros can equal anything other than zero. It doesn't matter that it's infinite, the fact that it can continue shortening the gap between 0.999... and 1 (I.e., being infinite) proves that it isn't exactly 1. If it were exactly 1, it wouldn't be able to be any more 1 than it already was.

So, 0.999... = 1? Sure. 0.999... == 1? No.
Pages: 1 ... 8834 8835 [8836] 8837 8838 ... 11037