Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8811 8812 [8813] 8814 8815 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526311 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132180 on: March 30, 2018, 09:54:04 pm »

Yeah, currently talking to a friend about their landlord issues.
There is some super stringent stuff about when a landlord can inspect, and what rights the lettor has.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132181 on: March 31, 2018, 02:26:30 am »

Tonight is a full moon, and I work in a nursing home.

The behaviors are quite intense tonight. One woman is adamant that there is a man in the basement trying to come up through the floor (which happens to be a 6in thick concrete slab with carpet on top.)

For those people that swear that the full moon thing is a myth, Well--- You come work this shift, and say that with a straight face afterwards.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132182 on: March 31, 2018, 02:30:41 am »

One woman is adamant that there is a man in the basement trying to come up through the floor (which happens to be a 6in thick concrete slab with carpet on top.)
Have you confirmed that this is not in fact true?

You never know.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132183 on: March 31, 2018, 02:40:25 am »

1) The basement does not extend that far to her wing.
2) Again, concrete foundation based flooring.
3) No disturbed soil outside.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132184 on: March 31, 2018, 03:02:03 am »

Landlady was snooping around our apartment with something like four other people. Claimed no-one was there. Then claimed she just needed to use the oven. Then claimed there was a fire, so she brought some friends to check the alarms. Which is easily false, since the alarm is above our camera.

She kept coming and going, leaving people we didn't even know to nose about unsupervised, and we had to yell at her to go back and close our door after she finally realized we were watching her and ushered everyone out.
Geez, what weird country do you live in that allows landladies to search your premises? Not even the police is allowed to do that without a warrant.
Over here the landlady would now be in serious trouble with the law.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132185 on: March 31, 2018, 03:12:37 am »

Sounds like the US.  Often, we have issues with landlords/ladies showing potential new tenants premises, without evicting or terminating lease of current tenant first. It's kind of a cliche stereotype, especially with slumlord types.

Also, landlords are often required to perform building maintenance, and that requires physical access. Proper etiquette is that you arrange a time with your tenant, and then get shit done during that time, and try not to leave a big mess for them; US people are not so well known for their etiquette though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132186 on: March 31, 2018, 03:18:21 am »

When the guy who owned the house we live in was trying to sell it(whilst we're living in it), he left it to us to show prospective buyers around, often at random times of the day.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132187 on: March 31, 2018, 03:41:43 am »

When the guy who owned the house we live in was trying to sell it(whilst we're living in it), he left it to us to show prospective buyers around, often at random times of the day.
Seems... poorly incentivised.

"Ah, hello. You must be the prospective tenants. This is the shower. It doesn't work. This is the sink. It doesn't work either. This is the kitchen. None of it works. We used to have a roach problem, but the rats cleaned them right up. Lovely bedroom, and it's almost completely stopped flooding with black water."
One wheel short of a wagon

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132188 on: March 31, 2018, 03:46:58 am »

Geez, what weird country do you live in that allows landladies to search your premises? Not even the police is allowed to do that without a warrant.
Over here the landlady would now be in serious trouble with the law.

Canada. Doubt it's allowed, but I'm not brushed up on property laws.

As far as we know, there's no intent to sell. Though the camera's been installed for months, and this hasn't happened before.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132189 on: March 31, 2018, 04:02:16 am »

Over here, if a landlord sells his property while there are still tenants, the new owner gets the building with tenants and all.
And they cannot be evicted, at least not if they have a normal legal rental agreement.
Can't change the rent either (nor the rental conditions as agreed in the original contract), at least not more than the standard national yearly inflation increase for rent.

Let's just say people who rent their living space have a pretty strong legal protection in the Netherlands.

I think the only exception is for student dorms, but those are limited to a small percentage of the housing total, per city decree.
Students usually sign a short term contract (1 year or somesuch), which makes it possible for the landlord to terminate the rent.
(Yeah, that's right, normally a landlord can't just say 'hey I want to do something else with my building, I am going to terminate the rent'. Not possible with a standard rental agreement with no set term. Person who rents can just say 'hey tough luck, I live here. Your building, but my right to stay here'.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:07:36 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132190 on: March 31, 2018, 04:31:24 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:34:47 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132191 on: March 31, 2018, 05:24:47 am »

There is no real penalty to going home a little bit late.  There are 5 bosses ready to tell you all about how important it is that you arrive on time for your shift, even if it is just a few minutes.

It is not so much that people are addicted to work; it is that the bosses in the US are douche canoes, ready and willing to replace somebody at the drop of a hat.

Today's reminder about terrible reality is brought to you by: Ennui! Ennui, that dark, difficult emotion that is hard to spell.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:26:36 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #132192 on: March 31, 2018, 06:25:46 am »

1) The basement does not extend that far to her wing.

As far as you know.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132193 on: March 31, 2018, 07:26:20 am »

Do pet peeves count as WTF?  In another thread here I saw the conversion: 50000C (90032F)

And on my kitchen table we have a runner that says "13 x 72 in (33.02 x 182.88 cm)"

SIGFIGS FOLKS!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132194 on: March 31, 2018, 07:45:56 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:34:38 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 8811 8812 [8813] 8814 8815 ... 11037