Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8781 8782 [8783] 8784 8785 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14576579 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131730 on: March 20, 2018, 01:02:36 am »

Just call them all meatbags.

It's completely and utterly true, after all!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131731 on: March 20, 2018, 02:10:36 am »

Well... this has been a dumpster fire of a thread.

It'd be great if people were to read up on these things before going "I don't get why (x)" cuz it's pretty well laid out... Uh. Everywhere. Often.

And if they thought through the implications of things... Like having a big muscley bearded bloke in the womens room, cuz that's his "biological sex" as a trans man. Good job, you've made everyone uncomfortable!
So "trans man" means someone who was a man before the operation? That was always confusing to me (as in, was ambiguous).

What? No, Descan's comment was asking people to do a tiny bit of research before mouthing an opinion. Google can clear up what "trans men" means in a few seconds, sort of proving the point Descan was making. Sure, back in the days of face to face chat in the pub, terminology confusion was excusable. We've lost those excuses when chatting on devices which clear have google a click away.

"trans X" mean you want to be X, or you turned into X. The only ambiguity here is from people who refused to accept the transition. Transwoman = male to female, transman = female to male. Also, this is consistent with what Descan wrote next: There are women who have become men, and often they try and look as masculine as possible (e.g. similar to trans-women who try and look as feminine as possible) "Transgender bathroom laws" force these previously-women people who look like hairy bikers to share the ladies' room, because that's their "born sex".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:34:09 am by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #131732 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:59 am »

Bay12 has been blocked on the WiFi network of the school I attend.

This wouldn’t be the first time a seemingly innocuous website has been blocked, however - Dropbox and several parts of YouTube have been blocked.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131733 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:48 am »

to be fair, what with Rule 34 existing, I wouldn't want to google the word trans

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #131734 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:18 am »

With Rule 34, you wouldn't want to Google anything!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131735 on: March 20, 2018, 09:03:15 am »

What the hell kind of bird makes noises that sounds like a rusty door hinge? And why is it somewhere in my yard?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131736 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:29 am »

What the hell kind of bird makes noises that sounds like a rusty door hinge? And why is it somewhere in my yard?

Probably related to repressed guilt or trauma about some terrible event in your past. If you hear air raid sirens, just remember that the monsters are more scared of you than you are of them.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #131737 on: March 20, 2018, 09:12:35 am »

the only thing I can think of is a type of bird in australia that is able to perfectly recreate any noise it hears, but considering that you live in arizona I have no clue what it could be.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131738 on: March 20, 2018, 09:17:18 am »

Florida, actually. Mind, it's conceptually possible it's one of those ones or something related. Exotic pets get loose from irresponsible owners fairly often in this state, though it's more of a thing further south than I am (i.e. where actual cities are).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #131739 on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:19 am »

that's probably what happened.
picture of the bird (lyrebird):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #131740 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:27 am »

that's probably what happened.
picture of the bird (lyrebird):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Liarbird more like
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #131741 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:30 am »

I think I need to be more discreet about my knife. Three separate people, completely independently of each other, have said "I don't dare sleep with you in the building" to me. I've kept insisting that it's a tool and not a weapon, though I suppose routinely maintaining and testing the blade can be a little creepy if you don't know why I'm just randomly slicing a piece of paper.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131742 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:36 am »

Routinely maintaining and testing a blade outside of a survival in the wild situation *is* a little creepy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131743 on: March 20, 2018, 09:49:04 am »

Hmm.. I have a hypothesis.

People, in aggregate, respond to things outside of their immediate sphere of familiarity with irrational fear.
There was a time when a pocket knife was a common place as carrying a cigarette lighter is.  You could whip out a pocket knife to cut something and nobody would bat an eye.

Fast forward to today, where most people are not in a vocation where having a knife handy is very useful, and so people dont carry them routinely. When somebody whips out a knife, "OMG, DONT CUT ME BRO!" is the first thought they have, and further, they cannot conceive of circumstances where somebody would carry a knife without intent to do such cutting on people.

Eventually, I forsee the carrying of a lighter to have equal "OMG!" factor, as people eventually stop smoking. (possibly adopting new and different vices.)  Somebody in that distant future will whip out a lighter to melt the ends of piece of rope, or perhaps an old shoe lace so it doesnt fray out-- and "OMG! DONT BURN MY HOUSE!" will be the irrational fear.

This is currently seen with pocket knives, but also with gun ownership.  City people by and large have an irrational fear of farmer joe, because farmer joe owns a gun. (Possibly several.) Farmer Joe does not have wild fantasies about shooting city people, yet you would be surprised the number of people who are afraid of going on a summer jaunt out into the rural counties to see the trees and wildlife, because they are CONVINCED that farmer joe is waiting for them to show up, gun in hand, and that he will start discharging it at them with heated passion or something. They have great difficulty conceiving of reasons why Farmer Joe would own guns, if not to shoot them at people. (Many view guns as existing exclusively for shooting people. when this is simply incorrect.)

Strangely, very few people seem to reflect on this kind of thing though. Certainly not enough to question their own behavior, and impulse reactions to seeing things that to them, are out of the ordinary, but are really completely harmless.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:53:11 am by wierd »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #131744 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:40 am »

Something of note: I am currently serving in the Finnish military, where wilderness situations aren't uncommon, and where people at least theoretically shouldn't have a problem with weaponizable tools, considering there are actual firearms and other weapons around.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 8781 8782 [8783] 8784 8785 ... 11041