Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8767 8768 [8769] 8770 8771 ... 11001

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13637387 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131520 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:33 pm »

Somewhere, an engineer is fleeing the country.
FTFY

It is very unlikely that this was the fault of any engineer. Most likely (and this is going off of probabilities from other incidents (which I don't know the specifics of, I studied them in school where they were sanitized) rather than data from this case) the cause was shoddy materials or corner-cutting in construction rather than bad design. The design itself would have been subjected to a lot of scrutiny, especially if there's been incidents with the company before.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131521 on: March 15, 2018, 09:36:51 pm »

Well, two companies as it's a joint venture, and both companies have had at least one incident.

I wonder if the university was aware of the incidents, you'd think an university like FIU would choose companies with an established record of safety.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131522 on: March 15, 2018, 09:48:46 pm »

Well, two companies as it's a joint venture, and both companies have had at least one incident.

I wonder if the university was aware of the incidents, you'd think an university like FIU would choose companies with an established record of safety.
Yeah, well, I wouldn't be all that surprised if a FIU trustee happens to earn about ~$50000 more than usual this year...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131523 on: March 15, 2018, 09:53:46 pm »

Wasn’t the bridge a demand from students though, after someone got killed crossing the highway?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131524 on: March 15, 2018, 09:55:32 pm »

ACE. Just ACE. A Markov chain generator would produce more coherent posts.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131525 on: March 15, 2018, 09:57:21 pm »

I don't know if it was a direct demand, but it was definetly made to make the crossing safer. A student died last year crossing the busy intersection.

I think that guy is just being a troll.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131526 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »

Wasn’t the bridge a demand from students though, after someone got killed crossing the highway?
IIRC, the way that a board chooses which company to contract, is that every company that wants in on the deal places a bid for the job. The board then chooses which bid to take; they don't necessarily need to take the low bid, because they might argue that the companies which placed the higher bids do better-quality work. This sometimes leads to corruption where a company bribes one or several of the trustees to take their bid, and then repays them later with a kickback, which gets mixed into their normal income streams to not arouse suspicion.

The guy's just a troll. He'll get banned soon. It is inevitable.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131527 on: March 15, 2018, 10:17:29 pm »

Holy crap, Metatokyo is still around!
...  It looks EXACTLY the same!??
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ACE.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131528 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:44 pm »

IIRC, the way that a board chooses which company to contract, is that every company that wants in on the deal places a bid for the job. The board then chooses which bid to take; they don't necessarily need to take the low bid, because they might argue that the companies which placed the higher bids do better-quality work. This sometimes leads to corruption where a company bribes one or several of the trustees to take their bid, and then repays them later with a kickback, which gets mixed into their normal income streams to not arouse suspicion.

The guy's just a troll. He'll get banned soon. It is inevitable.

it is nothing but a cabbage post for friendly banter goodnight.
ACE

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #131529 on: March 15, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »

Speak his name and he shall appear
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131530 on: March 15, 2018, 11:33:32 pm »

What the fuck.
Guys, I think I might be dying or something. I just had a sudden urge to drink an IPA. What the actual fuck? IPAs are one of the most disgusting kinds of beer on the market! Something must have gone wrong(er) in my head.

I was just sitting here, relaxing after a meal, reading up on a certain comic I'd seen on the shelves of my usual store yesterday* and having a drink of water, when the thought suddenly came to me that it would be nice if I was swigging on IPA instead. Horrifying. D:

* The comic in question was Doom Patrol, on DC's 'Young Animals' imprint. The comic I just finished reading (ish 1 of Death Bed, I bought it as soon as I realised it was Rossmo's art) had an irritating number of ads for DC trash that reminded me of it. It had looked surprisingly decent by DC standards from the brief flick through it I had yesterday, but from the info I found it doesn't seem like anything interesting.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131531 on: March 15, 2018, 11:54:02 pm »

With the new Battletech game coming out next month, and a single-player Mechwarrior game supposed to come out late this year, I've been on a Battletech kick for a week or so. When I last played Mechwarrior Online, I was turned off by the game not handling fast units very well (light mechs moved so quickly that the netcode couldn't keep up, and they teleported around), but this was several years ago. Thus, I decided now was a good time for another try. I'm very happy with the in-game controls, and it plays quite well. The problem is the "garage" interface, which makes Dwarf Fortress look intuitive.

That might be a slight exaggeration, and one skewed by the fact that I'm in the minority that found the DF interface perfectly sensible when I first tried the game, but I've never had to spend so much time with Google to understand basic game functions.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131532 on: March 16, 2018, 01:28:18 am »

A single player Mechwarrior?
Colour me incredibly intrigued.

But also this is the age of micro transactions so also very, very worried
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131533 on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:02 am »

https://mw5mercs.com/

It is being made by the Mechwarrior Online people (who have stated that they are discarding a lot of the balancing they've done for the online version to shift closer to canon), with the money they made with MW:O. It is supposed to be a merc-based game that runs from 3015-3049, which is super-exciting because the pre-Clan era is very overlooked in the computer games.

Not that long ago, it was playble at conventions, and there's a fair bit of gameplay footage and reviews floating around.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131534 on: March 16, 2018, 05:56:41 am »

It is very unlikely that this was the fault of any engineer. Most likely (and this is going off of probabilities from other incidents (which I don't know the specifics of, I studied them in school where they were sanitized) rather than data from this case) the cause was shoddy materials

No more dutch steel. Tariffs are lethal.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8767 8768 [8769] 8770 8771 ... 11001