Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8727 8728 [8729] 8730 8731 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14551152 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130920 on: February 15, 2018, 03:58:54 am »

Pfft, what are y’all, Communists?

Y’all forgot to mention the addictive nature of nicotine, so even if a person decides they don’t want to consume cigarettes no more, it is infinitely harder when they are physically and psychologically addicted to smoking :P
This is first order freedom versus second order freedom: second order freedom involves the freedom to restrict one's own freedom (i.e. by becoming addicted to something).

Dunno what the law says about it.
One wheel short of a wagon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130921 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:23 am »

Pfft, what are y’all, Communists?

Y’all forgot to mention the addictive nature of nicotine, so even if a person decides they don’t want to consume cigarettes no more, it is infinitely harder when they are physically and psychologically addicted to smoking :P
This is first order freedom versus second order freedom: second order freedom involves the freedom to restrict one's own freedom (i.e. by becoming addicted to something).

Dunno what the law says about it.

i think the general rule of thumb is that people who do such things should know what they are about to do.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130922 on: February 15, 2018, 04:39:18 am »

There is a double standard there though.

"Yeah, yeah, I know--"

vs

"OMG, If I had ONLY KNOWN!!"

eg, "Yeah yeah, I know-- shooting up with strange things at parties is bad." can quickly become "OMG, If I had ONLY KNOWN that was krokadil!! Now my skin is a necrotic mess and I have multiple organ failure!"

Then there is also the "Look, There were PSAs, there were warnings everywhere about this stuff, heavy users know this stuff exists, and you are such a user--- why do you expect the society at large to pay for your medical care now that you have injected essentially gasoline into yourself, ON PURPOSE?"

It gets grisly very quick.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:08:03 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130923 on: February 15, 2018, 05:28:06 am »

tobacco isn't nearly the problem it was 60 years ago, for example.
As far as I'm concerned cigarettes are basically pure poison still

whenever i'm talking about how harmful things are i'm always talking about how harmful they are in total not to the individual but multiplied over every individual who comes into contact with it.

by this metric tobacco isn't nearly the problem it was 60 years ago.
Indeed, from that perspective it mmakes more sense to ban combustion engines in road vehicles, and heavy polluting industries, that would have a much greater impact on improving general health than anti-smoking campaigns.

In other news, Dutch chemical company DSM saw it's profits TRIPLED within a year, to 1.8 billion in 2017. WTF, that's quite a rise. Stock value rose 4%, and DSM increased dividend pay to 1.85 per share.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:58:37 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130924 on: February 15, 2018, 08:19:21 am »

In other news, Dutch chemical company DSM saw it's profits TRIPLED within a year, to 1.8 billion in 2017. WTF, that's quite a rise. Stock value rose 4%, and DSM increased dividend pay to 1.85 per share.

It's not necessarily that high a boost. It depends what the base revenue is. e.g. if you make $100 and spend $99, then you make a profit of $1. If you then make an additional $2, then your profits "tripled".

It would be similar if the costs of the company dropped, and in fact you can cook the books to make it look like you have less costs than you really do, which equates to a huge "profit boost" to naive investors. e.g. if the hypothetical company I mentioned above managed to hide $5 worth of their costs, they could claim "profits went up by a factor of 6", then the share prices rises, and they do a "pump and dump". So, unexpected "record profits" can in fact be a sign that an accounting scam is underway because the company is in fact in trouble, and the current owners want to dump their stocks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:24:23 am by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130925 on: February 15, 2018, 11:28:22 am »

Had a dream about my life, one of those self-reflection moments when you see what you are missing and long for.

And I woke up, immediately thinking about that one Civ IV game where I kept my continent in check via a holy war on churchhill, and then found out Julius Caeser powerdunked the northern world and was subjugating the southern.  I spent my time fighting him instead of spacing and my closest ally and neighbor won the space race by 2 turns and, worse, Julius would have won because he had taken some random barbarian city on my eastern continent.

Losing by 2 turns, and because of some scrubs in the tundra . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #130926 on: February 15, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »

so this is half WTF and half terifying

so I was on youtube watching videos, then this ad came up. it looked like an ad for some garbage product that was made through kickstarter, but then they showed off the product... the product was something for consealed carry (the ability to LEGALY carry hidden guns on you if you have a licence for it) what ended up happening was they guy showing the product off showed that you can hide a pump-action shotgun on you. they made a holster that you can put in your pants and it can hide a fucking shotgun... only in america can this shit happen
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130927 on: February 15, 2018, 01:10:27 pm »

Relevant

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130928 on: February 15, 2018, 01:25:23 pm »

But you dont need a concealed carry for a shotgun.  Propably because nobody expects you to be able to conceal it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jts0xxg7P8I  -  Crotch gun.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130929 on: February 15, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »

Valve changed the wishlist page on Steam, now I can't sort things by cost unless I do it manually via sorting.  I kinda don't understand the idea behind it honestly, they removed a nice simple sorting function that let me check prices at a glance (especially useful during a sale).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130930 on: February 15, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »

Valve changed the wishlist page on Steam, now I can't sort things by cost unless I do it manually via sorting.  I kinda don't understand the idea behind it honestly, they removed a nice simple sorting function that let me check prices at a glance (especially useful during a sale).
Probably some programmers trying to justify their jobs to their bosses because valve doesn't really do much but keep their store up these days.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130931 on: February 15, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »

But you dont need a concealed carry for a shotgun.  Propably because nobody expects you to be able to conceal it.

Carrying a firearm of any sort concealed without the appropriate permit is a felony in all fifty states. It does not matter what sort of firearm it is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130932 on: February 15, 2018, 03:32:22 pm »

If your arm was amputated and replaced with a rifle, would you have to get a concealed firearm permit to wear a sweater? Or are you forced to open carry in tank-tops for the rest of your life?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130933 on: February 15, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »

You could also take out pieces until it no longer legally qualifies as a firearm.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130934 on: February 15, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »

The stock must be removed from the receiver before that is accomplished. Even then, the receiver is often still considered a firearm.
Pages: 1 ... 8727 8728 [8729] 8730 8731 ... 11038