Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8722 8723 [8724] 8725 8726 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549795 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130845 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:18 am »

After having partaken a couple of times for celebratory purposes, including one particular incident with some eggnog originally formulated by cirrhosic old men at a country club, I'm a full believer in the "collective social sanction" theory of alcohol-related dickwadery. My emotional and impulsive range was unchanged even by a movie drinking game's worth of that brew, my only felt effects were wanting to sleep and having to consciously focus on speaking well.

Anybody who screams at their family or gets in fights with strangers "because they were drunk" are just using it as an excuse to force their bullshit and pain on the rest of us, an excuse that is accepted because "everybody knows" that you can't be responsible when drunk.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130846 on: February 13, 2018, 12:40:23 am »

see, none of this is wrong, all of this is fine, it's the same as any drug, my vehemence is due to the fact that it's too widespread and socially acceptable to allow responsibility like this to be as common as it ought to be (not directly due to those effects, just because the raw numbers on how many dumbasses drink is higher) and due to the sort of weird exceptionalism people give it, i.e. me saying "same as any drug" is a controversial statement, though not as controversial as it used to be, which is good

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130847 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:31 am »

After having partaken a couple of times for celebratory purposes, including one particular incident with some eggnog originally formulated by cirrhosic old men at a country club, I'm a full believer in the "collective social sanction" theory of alcohol-related dickwadery. My emotional and impulsive range was unchanged even by a movie drinking game's worth of that brew, my only felt effects were wanting to sleep and having to consciously focus on speaking well.

Anybody who screams at their family or gets in fights with strangers "because they were drunk" are just using it as an excuse to force their bullshit and pain on the rest of us, an excuse that is accepted because "everybody knows" that you can't be responsible when drunk.
That's a large part of it, but not all.
It can exacerbate aspects of ourselves beyond control.  That's... largely what makes it so "transcendent", for me, it's like becoming a different person.

My "different person" is mostly cool.  Verbose and gregarious, but kind.  More empathic than normal me.  (maybe a normal amount of empathic)  Other people...  Become violent, straight up.

@Putnam
Indeed, it's like any other drug.  It's mind-altering, it's potentially dangerous.  It's kinda ridiculous that certain other drugs, which I'd say are much safer, are so illegal.
I don't personally enjoy those alternatives, but they should really be less restricted than alcohol!

I think it's just boredom.  Most people don't seem capable of figuring out what to do with themselves on their own time, if it's not gathering up into groups and making themselves too stupid to know what boredom is.  Inspiration, sadly, seems to be a rare thing. 
This too.  Trying to find purpose in life without children :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:53:47 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130848 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:27 am »

Pff... without children, I'd still need 100 lifetimes to read all the books, watch all the everything, travel the world and see everything/meet everyone, study martial arts, make art, study academics... if I had nothing else to do/worry about, I could just wander the city on foot looking for interesting ways to have a positive impact on other's lives.  When I'm out Uber driving, I get excited at the idea of possibly encountering someone who needs help and being able to provide it.  Just the idea of that being a potential thing keeps me entertained while I'm out driving around.

I don't understand boredom.

Edit:

Sorry if that all sounds like a personal jab, being written as a direct response.  Remember that scene in Hunger Games where they're at the party and the upper class people are passing around that vomit-inducing drug because it's the only way they can try all the food?  When people talk about struggling with boredom or not knowing what to do with themselves, my emotional reaction is something like what the protagonists were feeling in that scene, if you replace food with time.  In other words, it's not meant to be personal.  It just presses the button on my soul labeled "Existential Despair", and it all comes pouring out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:22:58 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130849 on: February 13, 2018, 01:12:54 am »

I've never been drunk. I wonder what I'd be like.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130850 on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:06 am »

Edit:

Sorry if that all sounds like a personal jab, being written as a direct response.  Remember that scene in Hunger Games where they're at the party and the upper class people are passing around that vomit-inducing drug because it's the only way they can try all the food?  When people talk about struggling with boredom or not knowing what to do with themselves, my emotional reaction is something like what the protagonists were feeling in that scene, if you replace food with time.
I didn't see it as a jab at all, more an olive branch.
And... yeah.
I struggle with existential angst, "justify your existence"...
While you struggle with juggling young children!

...To be fair, though, I have a painfully fecund cousin.  So really, my genes have been passed down...
wouldn't have chosen that path, myself, but okay I guess...
Especially since I've spent quite a few spare days taking care of his, pff, stupid spawn.  It's not like I care for them, baka...

I am actually okay with the concept that nonbreeders like me exclude ourselves from the gene pool, but help with child rearing.  Inevitably pass on a measure of ourselves, somatically. 

Quote from: Schlock Mercenary, which rather pointedly has avoided same-sex relationships
Saint Nog was a Qlaviqlese mufter who lived in those shadowy times between pre-history and the information age. The nations of Brantee and Pooqla had established a peace of sorts by wedding a Brantee prince and a Pooqla princess. Djugga Nog, a widely traveled preacher considered neutral, was invited to muft for the royal couple.

Almost from the moment the royal Son was born, the royal houses of Brantee and Pooqla began fighting over matters of succession. As the year of royal mufting progressed, the peace became increasingly fragile, and it looked as if war would break out in earnest the moment the boy emerged from Nog's pouch.

To everyone's surprise, triplets emerged instead -- a son, a daughter, and a mufter: the Triplets of Saint Nog.

Despite the fact that the most rational explanation of the event was that Nog had snuck another couple of infants in with the royal boy, the event was hailed as a miracle, and the ensuing 76-year peace resulted in the birth of the Empire of Brantee-Pooqla. The Brantee-Pooqlans then waged war across an entire continent, dragging their neighbors kicking and screaming into a golden age of commerce, art, and lots of taxes.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:39:11 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130851 on: February 13, 2018, 01:47:02 am »

see, like, people also assume i'm a prohibitionist, which i never consider too unreasonable an assumption because it's the simplest conclusion.

(for the record i am DEFINITELY NOT a prohibitionist, if anything the opposite, rather make every other damn drug legal)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130852 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:19 am »

Ugh, I hate teetotallers. 😅 :))
Just think of all the money we save by not buying expensive alcohol. ;D
That is true, I suppose illegal drugs do tend to be more economical...

@Frumple: all booze is expensive booze here, unless you're lucky enough to have a cheap, possibly shady local bottleshop.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #130854 on: February 13, 2018, 02:37:16 am »

There is more than one person I know in my job who has no money on a monthly basis. No savings, they live for the next paycheck. They work same hours as me, get the same student loan. But they also buy alcohol. And so they have no money.

To be fair, I'm sure most of the money goes on the night club rather than the actual liquour. But, not to brag, either way I have a substantial amount of money saved and they don't.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130855 on: February 13, 2018, 05:05:12 am »

Pff... without children, I'd still need 100 lifetimes to read all the books, watch all the everything, travel the world and see everything/meet everyone, study martial arts, make art, study academics... if I had nothing else to do/worry about, I could just wander the city on foot looking for interesting ways to have a positive impact on other's lives.  When I'm out Uber driving, I get excited at the idea of possibly encountering someone who needs help and being able to provide it.  Just the idea of that being a potential thing keeps me entertained while I'm out driving around.

I don't understand boredom.

I can't even tell you how envious I am. I have so much I can do. I'm healthy, fairly intelligent, just have every opportunity in the world to do many things, and I don't want to do any of it, I just want to waste my time doing pointless shit until I realize I'm wasting my own time, and then I feel so bored that I'm going crazy to do anything, but I also feel too guilty to go back to the useless things, and not determined enough to start up something that would perhaps be interesting but it would require a substantial sum of time and effort before I even got a modicum of payoff. This is a feeling that overtakes me almost every single day that I have off from work, even though my job is just me sitting in a room by myself attending a phone line and nothing else. I feel like I'm trapped in my own personal hell some days.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:07:31 am by JoshuaFH »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #130856 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:58 am »

I got a phone call about elections. They asked me if I want to vote, but I said that I don't want to do so for very personal reasons (we all know who'll win the elections in Russia).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130857 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:23 am »

What happens if you say you do want to vote? Two years Siberia?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #130858 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:25 am »

What happens if you say you do want to vote? Two years Siberia?

I'm already in Siberia, so I dunno what can be a punishment for voting. A vacation to Arctic, maybe?

But to be serious, even without the iron grip of the emperor Pu of Tin dynasty, all candidates/parties suck:
Communist Party of Russian Federation are sellouts. They decided to go and lick Russian Orthodox Church's ass, even though true communist will never support religious reactionaries like ROC.
Liberal-Democratic Party is "liberal" and "democratic" in-name only.
United Russia is lead by Emperor Pu Tin.
The other two major parties... I don't know anything about their political stance, but it's safe to say they're corrupt/incompetent/stupid/combination of all three.

EDIT: Corrected "will never support".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:32:01 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130859 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:18 am »

Just think of all the money we save by not buying expensive alcohol. ;D
This. My friends constantly express surprise that I got money despite earning only about half a minimum wage (which is ~R$900, while  make 400) with my part-time job. The reason being that I don't drink (I think a can is about R$4?) and don't go to nightclubs (which are all in Rio, while I live in a nearby city, so you add transport on top of that).

Of course, not drinking or doing other drugs means I don't get invited to go out or to many parties and such, but considering that in about half the cases it results in some random acquantaince pestering me all night offering free drinks I'm not too torn up about it.

But my reason for drinking is not that I had a bad experience with drunkards, or that I don't like the taste (I never tasted any sort of alcoholic drink), but merely that I don't want to be drunk. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume something that mentally impairs them, but, unlike what some people I know seem to think, I'm not going to try to prevent them from drinking.

* Teneb sips cold tea because it's fucking hot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 8722 8723 [8724] 8725 8726 ... 11038