Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8717 8718 [8719] 8720 8721 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548140 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130770 on: February 11, 2018, 12:33:01 am »

Lightly fried spam slices used as the core of a grilled cheese sandwich. Mmmm, delicious.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130771 on: February 11, 2018, 12:40:25 am »

Yes, grilled cheese spamwiches are good.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130772 on: February 11, 2018, 12:43:54 am »

I didn't know this one before, apparently spam musubi (spam sushi, basically) is so popular in Hawaii, that you can get them in just about every convenience store there. e.g. where Australia (or England, i guess) might have meat pies and sausage rolls, or the continental USA would have microwave Hotdogs and cheeseburgers, in Hawaii, they have Spam sushi rolls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/why-do-hawaiians-love-spam-so-much_b_1901306.html

Spam is so popular throughout Hawaii that it’s been nicknamed the “Hawaiian steak” and is even found on the islands’ McDonald’s and Burger King menus. During the last week of April, the annual Spam Jam takes place in Waikiki. And before taking office, Hawaii’s most prominent native son, Barack Obama, surprised reporters when he ordered spam musubi while on vacation in Oahu.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:51:03 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130773 on: February 11, 2018, 12:46:26 am »

I've never had the good fortune to try SPAM, at least that I remember. Maybe I should.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130774 on: February 11, 2018, 12:52:23 am »

Can't say I'd recommend it. I mean if you don't have access to fresh meat it's ok. Otherwise it's pretty horrible compared to fresh ham. That said I guess there's no reason not to, you might be one of these insane people who actually think it's good.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130775 on: February 11, 2018, 01:10:29 am »

funnily, though fairly predictably when you think about it, it's actually fairly prosperous nations that are into Spam, even though the impression is "poverty" in places where Spam has a bad reputation.

Somewhere like Nigeria couldn't actually afford to import stuff like that. A typical Nigerian would be slaughtering a chicken for the family dinner once a month, if lucky, not buying imported canned goods. And I'm not exaggerating here, 60% of Nigerians live on the equivalent of $1 a day, and when they state those figures, they're already taking cost of living into account. A tin of spam would likely be an entire week's wages for most Nigerians.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-17015873
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:16:32 am by Reelya »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130776 on: February 11, 2018, 01:32:52 am »

Most poor countries probably eat less salt & sugar to start with. It quite noticable that people who eat a lot of junk food will eat & like stuff that to me tastes like it was accidentally dropped in the ocean

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130777 on: February 11, 2018, 01:45:13 am »

...At least Hector got it. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130778 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:32 am »

What's to "get"? If it was a "joke", it was a very unfunny one, there isn't even a remotely amusing quip there after it's explained.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:55:14 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130779 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:36 am »

(sigh)

Puts on the *that guy* hat.

SPAM, as in the email kind.
Nigeria, due to nigerian princes.
Nigerian princes love to send out SPAM.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130780 on: February 11, 2018, 02:03:35 am »

Ah yeah, I somehow missed that -_- Spam email isn't something I think much about, since even the worst spam filter gets rid of all that before you ever see it.

However, that makes me wonder about things such as being accidentally offended because of misinterpretation. e.g. if you weren't aware of the intentions it could sound like making fun of starving Africans, which was clearly not the intention. There seem to be more and more examples of where something isn't meant to be offensive, but someone deems it to be, so the person gets hounded with online complaints until they're forced to retract the statement.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:05:50 am by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130781 on: February 11, 2018, 06:59:58 am »

I'm honestly WTFing over how far over everyone's heads the joke went. I got it right away.

I'll have try using spam the next time I make some sushi rolls.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130782 on: February 11, 2018, 09:47:59 am »

Honestly, Nigerian 419 Spam is old news. Y'all probably have to actively dig in the spam folder to even see it nowadays

The true spam menace these days are those Microsoft tech support calls from India
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130783 on: February 11, 2018, 09:50:22 am »

I thought it was clever.

Did not expect people on ‘tinternet to think of fake ham before unsolicited email messages.

Ah well, I learned a bit about fake ham, and it was moderately amusing too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130784 on: February 11, 2018, 09:53:39 am »

Nah, it's old news:

the Spanish Prisoner scam which dates back to the late 18th century. In that con, businessmen were contacted by an individual allegedly trying to smuggle someone connected to a wealthy family out of a prison in Spain. In exchange for assistance, the scammer promised to share money with the victim in exchange for a small amount of money to bribe prison guards.
Pages: 1 ... 8717 8718 [8719] 8720 8721 ... 11038