Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8716 8717 [8718] 8719 8720 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547368 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130755 on: February 09, 2018, 09:17:29 pm »

Not everything that gets killed by a vehicle is splattered.

Hell, most deer seem to survive more than the car does.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130756 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »

I ate roadkill rabbit once when I was little.  My dad just clipped the top of its head.  The rest of its body was totally undamaged.  Not everything that gets killed by a vehicle is splattered.

I said “chances are” not “absolutely guaranteed smoosh every time” :P

You don’t want to hit a deer in your car. A friend of mine totaled two cars in as many weeks after hitting deer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #130757 on: February 10, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »

Please do not quote:

You know, I don't get it....  I come in early; I leave late. I'm going to be working this weekend. I haven't really bothered anybody;
Please do not quote:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:47:00 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130758 on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »

I went to my forked copy of the DFHack repository and found that I had made changes to the master branch that are incapable of being merged with the current version... in 2014.

2014 me was an idiot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130759 on: February 10, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »

Talk to the doctor before trying to trim their toenails, I says. Make sure you know what they want done, I says.

It's just a spot of blood, they says within a day or two. Did you talk to the doctor I ask. I did exactly what a foot doctor would have done, they says.

Except, of course, get a medical professional to handle it, in an environment that's, y'know, not someone's living room. #%&€.

Fortunately it does look like there wasn't major bleeding but literally bloody hell this is exactly why I was saying what I was saying ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130760 on: February 10, 2018, 06:26:51 pm »

they aren't diabetic are they? (the person with the now bloody toes)--- If so, get them on antibiotics, quickly.  There is a reason why toenails don't get trimmed by nurse aids or nurses in nursing homes, and this is the reason. (Diabetes seriously compromises the ability of extremities to heal, and is often also associated with neuropathy which causes the person to not feel pain very acutely. This is often due to poor blood circulation in the extremity, due to the diabetes. This makes even a tiny wound into a site where serious infection can occur, as the body is NOT able to fight off normal pathogens that get through the skin there. It can quickly progress to necrosis and worse!)

It can go bad very quickly.  These things need to be done by a podiatrist if they are diabetic. No, for reals yo.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130761 on: February 10, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »

That article's pretty interesting; I particularly like the breakdown by state.

Texas is the opposite of all my expectations.  Not only is collecting roadkill illegal there, but *PETA* was calling for it to be legal!  Wanted the dead animals to at least be eaten.  Pretty cool, for PETA.

In Alaska you can't eat your kills - you have to call in volunteers who retrieve and prepare the meat for the homeless.  Parts of that seem questionable, but I'm just glad the meat gets used!

There's another perspective here: something only needs to become a law when it becomes a problem. States with little roadkill eating wouldn't ever be in a position where the government needed to think about the problem of roadkill, therefore it's never made illegal.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130762 on: February 10, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »

Actually, far as I'm aware anti-roadkill laws have less to do with occurrence frequency and more to do with how it's happening. Want to say they tend to be related or bundled up with laws against hunting from your vehicle as you drive down the road.
It can go bad very quickly.  These things need to be done by a podiatrist if they are diabetic. No, for reals yo.
They are, actually. Pretty sure they're already on meds for immune system, to some degree, though, or something along those lines. They're a bit on the slow healing side of things for their age, I think, but even with some fairly regular stuff like the toe they don't tend to have problems with infection. Other sorts of shit, but not that. Regardless, ASAP is day after tomorrow when they got a VA appointment for something else and I'll be keeping what eye I can on it.

Also yes. Yes, I'm entirely and completely aware it really needs to be dealt with by a podiatrist. I don't have power of attorney, though, or guardianship, so there's only so much I can do when they pitched a fit a month or two ago after not being let in a half hour late to an appointment and canceled future podiatry visits :-\

Hopefully getting it squared away early next week, otherwise I'm probably going to have to pitch a fit, which can get awkward considering my complete lack of leverage over anyone able to actually do anything about it. Don't like even considering it, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130763 on: February 10, 2018, 11:34:29 pm »

Apparently Spam is considered a delicacy in some foreign nations.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130764 on: February 10, 2018, 11:38:11 pm »

...Nigeria?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130765 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:30 pm »

Only among the well-off. Royalty, even.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130766 on: February 10, 2018, 11:43:21 pm »

Spam is pretty big in Hawaiian cuisine, surprisingly.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130767 on: February 10, 2018, 11:49:59 pm »

From what I understand, everywhere in the Pacific where the US had military forces stationed in WWII (other than already large countries like Australia) became quite fond of SPAM during the war. The US made so much of the stuff for rations that it was often distributed or traded to the locals, who were having a bit of trouble getting meat.

Of course, SPAM is quite nice overall, so I don't see why it being popular would be surprising.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130768 on: February 10, 2018, 11:50:26 pm »

Well it is supposed to taste good from what I hear. Its just horribly unhealthy. So the meat version of cake I guess.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130769 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:11 am »

...Nigeria?

No, Japan, South Korea, other parts of Asia.

The origin dates from the WWII era, when US Spam was one of the few ways to get meat in war-ravaged areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/world/asia/in-south-korea-spam-is-the-stuff-gifts-are-made-of.html

SEOUL, South Korea — As the Lunar New Year holiday approaches, Seoul’s increasingly well-heeled residents are scouring store shelves for tastefully wrapped boxes of culinary specialties. Among their favorite choices: imported wines, choice cuts of beef, rare herbal teas. And Spam.

Yeah, in South Korea, gift-wrapped Spam is considered to be on the same level as bringing a bottle of imported wine.

https://iremit.com.au/what-is-spam-and-why-are-filipinos-obsessed-with-it/

Filipino’s obsession with SPAM has reached the next level when an eatery called SPAM JAM Café opened in SM Megamall. SPAM Jam‘s menu features SPAM nuggets, SPAM Spaghetti, SPAM Burgers, and SPAM Musubi. SPAM Musubi is made with a “sushi-style” slice of SPAM that is sandwiched in seaweed and rice.

Asia ... they sell Spam Sushi at cafes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:35:05 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8716 8717 [8718] 8719 8720 ... 11038