Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8706 8707 [8708] 8709 8710 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544674 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130605 on: February 04, 2018, 12:45:11 pm »

Lion King was apparently a rip-off of an older japanese cartoon/manga. So much for a completely original story :V

Huh. Even with the obvious slant, that is a bit too much of a coincidence. I never knew there was more to it than the similarity of the names Kimba/Simba.
I was really surprised to see this way back a few years ago :-\ Only after looking up Studio Ghibli that pushed me to look at many other media in the Japanese area was when I noticed this (thankful for curious checking). Sadly the studio(?) responsible for Kimba didn't push sueing Disney because of their lawyer team and that they were 'small'. >_<
That nudged a really bad distaste in my mouth for the occupation of power and money. :-\ But I'm glad to see that Kimba's story can be seen online. It's pretty beautiful--always putting in context of animation (rather than 'The Lion King looks better!'...because of the technology of the animation of the time, yes, but the quality of everything else aside from graphics is also as important)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130606 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:15 pm »

However, note that one of the sources I came across just now said that production work on The Lion King began the year after Osamu Tezuka died. Which could be coincidence, but it could also be a project they knew was questionable being greenlit once the original creator died.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:53:01 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130607 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:52 pm »

Calm down, I'm just saying that people will view you as unmanly if you don't drink at parties. Like, at your friend's birthday party. Plus, I'm not using that type of language seriously.
tbqh famalam that's when you whip out the sword of islam and declare your m8s to be absolutely haram. Disregard alcohol, one tap water pls

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130608 on: February 04, 2018, 03:14:22 pm »

just got tboned
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130609 on: February 04, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »

Oh shit. You okay?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130610 on: February 04, 2018, 03:27:22 pm »

Nah he died
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130611 on: February 04, 2018, 03:34:42 pm »

It wouldn't be the first time something like that was the last post a person ever made :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130612 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:49 pm »

just got tboned
*pisskop says while the vehicle is spiraling off of a large cliffside immediately after getting hit. Calmly texting on a laptop as the car barrel rolls down.*

Hope everything works out ok!  Just think of it this way, as long as everyone is alright, it was their fault and they have insurance you just won the new car lottery!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130613 on: February 04, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »

He might just be enjoying a really good steak.
I doubt it, but I hope I'm misteaken ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #130614 on: February 04, 2018, 03:58:13 pm »

Eep. Hope you get out of this alright, pisskop.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130615 on: February 04, 2018, 04:38:27 pm »

Quote from: from Wikipedia
Modern cannons also employ muzzle brakes very effectively to redirect some of the propellant gasses rearward after projectile exit. This provides a counter-recoiling force to the barrel, allowing the buffering system and gun mount to be more efficiently designed at even lower weight.

Modern cannons also employ muzzle brakes very effectively to redirect some of the propellant gasses rearward after projectile exit. This provides a counter-recoiling force to the barrel, allowing the buffering system and gun mount to be more effi-

also employ muzzle brakes very effectively to redirect some of the propellant gasses rearward after projectile exit.

rearward

*facedesk*

Muzzle brakes don’t redirect gases backwards to reduce recoil, they redirect gases sideways! If you were to the redirect gases backwards, you’d end up spraying hot gas (plus other particulate) into the shooters face. I’m not a gunsmith but even I know something as simple as that.

I’ve always heard of Wikipedia being wrong, but this is the first time I’m seeing it in person.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130616 on: February 04, 2018, 04:48:32 pm »

Lion King was apparently a rip-off of an older japanese cartoon/manga. So much for a completely original story :V

Huh. Even with the obvious slant, that is a bit too much of a coincidence. I never knew there was more to it than the similarity of the names Kimba/Simba.
I was really surprised to see this way back a few years ago :-\ Only after looking up Studio Ghibli that pushed me to look at many other media in the Japanese area was when I noticed this (thankful for curious checking). Sadly the studio(?) responsible for Kimba didn't push sueing Disney because of their lawyer team and that they were 'small'. >_<
That nudged a really bad distaste in my mouth for the occupation of power and money. :-\ But I'm glad to see that Kimba's story can be seen online. It's pretty beautiful--always putting in context of animation (rather than 'The Lion King looks better!'...because of the technology of the animation of the time, yes, but the quality of everything else aside from graphics is also as important)

In cases like this, I prefer to see what the people being "copied" think. The head of the company that owns the Kimba copyright in 1994 was consulted on this, and concluded that it is nothing but a coincidence.

Quite a few staff of our company saw a preview of “The Lion King,” discussed this subject and came to the conclusion that you cannot avoid having these similarities as long as you use animals as characters and try to draw images out of them. ... Therefore, our company's general opinion is 'The Lion King' is a totally different piece from 'The Jungle Emperor' and is an original work completed by the Disney production's long-lasting excellent production technique.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130617 on: February 04, 2018, 04:54:23 pm »

*facedesk*

Muzzle brakes don’t redirect gases backwards to reduce recoil, they redirect gases sideways! If you were to the redirect gases backwards, you’d end up spraying hot gas (plus other particulate) into the shooters face. I’m not a gunsmith but even I know something as simple as that.

I’ve always heard of Wikipedia being wrong, but this is the first time I’m seeing it in person.
Before you facedesk, it's good to make sure you're right. Muzzle brakes with swept back gills are quite common, as I'm sure a minute of googling will attest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130618 on: February 04, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »

*pisskop says while the vehicle is spiraling off of a large cliffside immediately after getting hit. Calmly texting on a laptop as the car barrel rolls down.*
I was imagining him typing it on his phone while pinned under twisted metal piercing all his internal organs. That's why his post lacks a full stop, you see

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130619 on: February 04, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »

i almost thought for a second about whining in the drunk thread but holy fuck that would be bad for my future mental health why did i even consider that

i'm not particularly looking to argue but i am willing to reply i'm not going to get the last word in this so i'll just say what my opinion is: if alcohol were exactly as stigmatized as tobacco is today (I.E. people will complain but not consider you a pariah if you partake regularly) i'd probably be happy, but until then it's an insanely bad problem that people keep enabling and it makes me super anxious when i think about
Alcohol isn't the problem, people abusing it is.

The same can be said about basically every non-addictive or rarely addictive drug there is, though. Alcohol's special treatment is what bothers me, not alcohol itself.
Pages: 1 ... 8706 8707 [8708] 8709 8710 ... 11037