Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8705 8706 [8707] 8708 8709 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544549 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130590 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:57 am »

i KNOW

the only reason i posted it in here was because i realized how insanely stupid i almost was, which is a WTF because i usually don't get that dumb even at my worst

even worse, I keep up on threads mostly through http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=unreadreplies, which means that I would be seeing it in my feed constantly

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130591 on: February 04, 2018, 06:53:52 am »

i almost thought for a second about whining in the drunk thread but holy fuck that would be bad for my future mental health why did i even consider that

i'm not particularly looking to argue but i am willing to reply i'm not going to get the last word in this so i'll just say what my opinion is: if alcohol were exactly as stigmatized as tobacco is today (I.E. people will complain but not consider you a pariah if you partake regularly) i'd probably be happy, but until then it's an insanely bad problem that people keep enabling and it makes me super anxious when i think about
Alcohol isn't the problem, people abusing it is. Nothing wrong with a glass or two, but holy fuck, why every adolescent idiot nowadays has to get completely pissed drunk twice a weekend and become a rowdy violent probable rapist, and be cheered for it by their peers, is beyond me.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130592 on: February 04, 2018, 07:10:55 am »

Maybe it's the dehydration, the tired-but-not-awakeness of the morning, or the remnants of my little bender Friday (which was less significant in the quantitative sense and moreso in the mood, attitude, and manner of its consumption and subsequent new locales and activities) but I just read more of this intro to profiling book and they lambaste the practice of nearly every single method of profiling.  Including psychics on-scene.

We still regularly employ psychics to attempt to solve crimes; or more accurately, to try to glean information with which to solve crimes.

Set aside the idea of whether or not they are real/fake, where are they being accredited?  To what standard are they trained, and how, other than public consensus, do we determine their competency or fitness to intercede in a crime scene and its investigation?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #130593 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:49 am »

I wonder why people drink alcohol, considering it's awful smell. Literally every alcohol product, including soft ones, like wine, smells like a bum who didn't have a shower for a year. I get that everyone has their own tastes, but the smell of alcohol for me is enough to start coughing from disgust. And the fact that if you don't drink alcohol at the parties makes you a disrespectful wimpy beta-male in the eyes of the host and friends makes me even more disgusted.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130594 on: February 04, 2018, 07:35:49 am »

We still regularly employ psychics to attempt to solve crimes; or more accurately, to try to glean information with which to solve crimes.

Only if you watch those trashy psychic shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

No psychic detective has ever been praised or given official recognition by the FBI or US national news for solving a crime, preventing a crime, or finding a kidnap victim or corpse.

There's a reason that the only evidence is on those "psychic detective" "true mystery" type TV shows, and you don't hear anything about it on the actual news. If a psychic actually solved a big case, then it would be huge international news. Hell man, if someone had a dancing cat then it would be worldwide news. Psychic crime-solvers can't even get newsworthiness of slightly unusual house pets.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:39:30 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130595 on: February 04, 2018, 07:37:51 am »

I wonder why people drink alcohol, considering it's awful smell. Literally every alcohol product, including soft ones, like wine, smells like a bum who didn't have a shower for a year. I get that everyone has their own tastes, but the smell of alcohol for me is enough to start coughing from disgust. And the fact that if you don't drink alcohol at the parties makes you a disrespectful wimpy beta-male in the eyes of the host and friends makes me even more disgusted.

We are in genuine agreement.

So my friend told me about something called the "Lunk Alarm" and it was so stupid I had to look it up, just too stupid to be real...

Holy shit it's real. Like, as far as bad solutions to nonproblems go, I don't think this can be topped.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130596 on: February 04, 2018, 07:45:28 am »

@reeyla, Im under the impression they use them as  a last resort in america.

@gym grunter

They absolutely do it.  its stupid though, its more social.

But, however, its usually not enforced unless you grunt regularly.  Its about not scaring off 'casual' lifters.  Its also obnoxious to hear people moaning in my ear as I lift, or tossing around 90 pounds as if they were the next Mr Olympian.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130597 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:47 am »

I wonder why people drink alcohol, considering it's awful smell. Literally every alcohol product, including soft ones, like wine, smells like a bum who didn't have a shower for a year.
I've smelled some really, really mild ones that are actually alright, scent wise, and I'm pretty damn sensitive to the smell. They would smell better without the alcohol, but they're more or less tolerable even if you're very sensitive to the smell of booze. Now, that's happened like... twice... in the last twenty plus years, but I'd contend it's at least possible. Want to say some version or another of kahlua (maybe mixed in with something?) is one of the easier sorts of that kind of thing to find if you're looking for it.

Any case, personal wtf this morning was walking by what may have been the gayest scene in what I think is a laramie western I've yet seen. Older bearded military captain, younger officer, "Captain, I have about four drinks worth in a bottle back in my quarters. Would you... like to join me in my quarters for a drink?" Or thereabouts. I'm pretty sure the context was someone died and military processing of grief or something, but without that context it was just kind of takei level "Oh My" followed by maybe dramatically fanning yourself. Hell of a thing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:50:26 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130598 on: February 04, 2018, 11:04:43 am »

beta-male
Can we please refrain from that kind of language here?
I get enough incel stuff from literally every other corner of the Internet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #130599 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:59 am »

beta-male
Can we please refrain from that kind of language here?
I get enough incel stuff from literally every other corner of the Internet.

Calm down, I'm just saying that people will view you as unmanly if you don't drink at parties. Like, at your friend's birthday party. Plus, I'm not using that type of language seriously.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130601 on: February 04, 2018, 11:36:52 am »

Lion King was apparently a rip-off of an older japanese cartoon/manga. So much for a completely original story :V

Huh. Even with the obvious slant, that is a bit too much of a coincidence. I never knew there was more to it than the similarity of the names Kimba/Simba.
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130602 on: February 04, 2018, 11:39:03 am »

Apperently that story took inspiration from Bambi, which is amusing. And I still think Lion king is cooler, because from what I've seen, the lion king has better animation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130603 on: February 04, 2018, 11:51:40 am »

Higher production quality does not excuse plagiarism, especially not when you sell the thing as wholly original. And the C&D on a screening of the Kimba movie was an especially dick move, I also have no doubt that they are probably the main reason why it didn't get any screenings beyond that one.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130604 on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:21 pm »

There's also the type of production to take into account. Kimba was a TV show, and Lion King was an animated feature film. Those are not things that are really directly comparable.

Any feature film is going to have much more budget and production time per minute of footage, but the trade off is the runtime. 88 minutes for Lion King, vs 52 * 25 minute episodes for Kimba. You can just tell more story, and pace out the character development, in 1000 minutes vs 88 minutes. Movies and TV have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's not legit to just compare shots and say "well this one's cooler". If you're fitting everyone's character development into 88 minutes it's going to feel rushed compared to a TV show of the same story. For that reason, the Kimba story has multiple story arcs dealing with different issues, that would be extremely rushed in something like the Lion King, if they appeared at all.

Also, Kimba isn't a musical, so it automatically scores higher by not being fucking annoying Disney shit. If your cartoon animals start singing, then you've lost cool points right there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:42:52 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8705 8706 [8707] 8708 8709 ... 11037