Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8687 8688 [8689] 8690 8691 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14529425 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130320 on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »

Most YouTube music videos arent actually the music videos of that song though. They're a parade of still images of the artist or just a single screen with the title, and also maybe the lyrics if the creator is ambitious.

That's not really the main point. There are lots of music videos, so Youtube started out with those, and people watched them. Eventually they were just there for the music, video or not, so people created additional videos to paper-in the cracks. It's just the fact that a video site can have music, but a music site cannot have video. The superset trumps the subset. Why have two places where you have to have accounts and can listen to e.g. Michael Jackson's "Bad" song, but only one of them has the actual video? People are averse to having extra sites to manage if an existing site can already fulfill that need, so most people who already use youtube aren't going to go get spotify accounts just for music.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:52:37 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130321 on: January 28, 2018, 05:15:12 pm »

Most store don't carry what I listen to.

Hell, most big store's music selection utterly sucks in general.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130322 on: January 28, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »

Eh... I'unno about that. I don't browse often, 'cause physical media hasn't been terribly attractive since around the point the .mp3 or .wav existed, but most of the time I have over the years the selection's been pretty decent, variety wise. Especially compared to what seems to be the average citizen's preferences regarding musical breadth.

It's no internet and niche genre excavation smorgasbord, but you'll have pretty much everything you could expect them to maintain profit with, plus a smattering of other stuff for giggles. Especially if they have a used section of some sort, when in comes to the giggles portion.

E: Though it's admittedly possible my tastes are broad enough I don't notice a lack as much as someone with a fairly limited palate would, now that I think on it. My tastes in music are somewhere between expansive and schizophrenic, heh.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:30:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #130323 on: January 29, 2018, 01:16:47 am »

Cause millenials like music videos.
Ohhh colour.
Might as well put a song up too

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #130324 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:38 am »

Ohhh colour.

what
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130325 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:56 am »

Ohhh colour.

what
The 90's, kid
(Nothing personnel)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:21:40 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130326 on: January 29, 2018, 01:29:39 am »

I never listen to the radio anymore.  Ever.  If I don't have access to alternate means, I prefer silence over radio.  I have had near zero exposure to whatever's current, mainstream, and popular for something like 10 years.

Started doing a bit of driving for Uber and Lyft over the past year.  I play music in my car off a USB stick.  Just a shuffle of my main listening playlist off my music library at home.  I turn it off or way down when someone gets in the car.  If they ask me to play music, I ask them if they want to hook up bluetooth or have a radio station they like.  Most of the time they'll just say "Play whatever you want, man.  I like everything.  Go ahead and play your stuff.  It's all good."  It's extremely rare for them to actually mean all that, after I start hitting them with OCRemix, progressive metal, Japanese punk, less dancy/more weird electronic stuff like Infected Mushroom or Aphex Twin, etc.  Can be quite fun if they have a sense of humor about it.

A group of college kids did this with me lastnight, and KMFDM happened to be what was playing.  I laughed and told them "You insisted.  Just let me know when you want me to move on."  They sported a couple minutes before one of the girls got up the courage to say "Wow... so... this is... umm... interesting... I've never heard music like this before... can you tune into 98.3?"

But yeah... on the rare occassion I glance while strolling through the music section in a store on my way to something else, I rarely see anything I listen to.  Aside from some 90's alternative, classic rock, and a few select acts like Muse or something.

I feel pretty damn alien these days when comparing interests with just about anyone I meet in daily life.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130327 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:20 am »

Oh... radio, I normally play mp3 instead, but if the opportunity's not there I'll flick over to NPR or whatever fairly often, least if it's doing music instead of news-y bits. Classical's always nice, and sometimes they do some neat other stuff... celtic/irish bits, various folk music, etc. Occasionally there's opera, which I don't take the opportunity to listen to very often. It can be nice. When I'm in larger areas there's usually a jazz station or two I'll be down with, too.

... but yeah, I don't drive much but family very often, most of which I avoid inflicting my mp3 player playlist on, but occasionally there's someone. Experience is still about how you mention it. Folks that say "whatever" tend not to actually mean they're down with high energy OCRemix followed by gospel (whether it's traditional or something like E Nomine, well...) followed by electroswing, remixed classical, literally elvis, drinking songs, and so on. The bright side is my playlists tend to be eclectic enough (and I play them on shuffle anyway) I can usually hit next a few times and hit something they're okay with. I just have to skip the stuff that'll probably give them literal headaches.

E: well, and the stuff like good ship venus. I've actually snuck that one in a few times but no one's noticed the lyrics yet. They've noticed baltimore whores, though :V
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:14:34 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130328 on: January 29, 2018, 02:34:29 am »

A group of college kids did this with me lastnight, and KMFDM happened to be what was playing.  I laughed and told them "You insisted.  Just let me know when you want me to move on."  They sported a couple minutes before one of the girls got up the courage to say "Wow... so... this is... umm... interesting... I've never heard music like this before... can you tune into 98.3?"

Heh, had this happen at an anarchist bookshop, which was across the road from where I lived. These two young punk girls were there, I had just bought a CD of 1980s hardcore band Adrenalin O.D. and asked if they wanted to hear it. They were clearly uncomfortable with the extreme hardcore-ness of this band, but were too cool to admit it, e.g. they were never going to go "omg this is too fast, turn it off" because punk cred. Basically that's a fun game - find some lightweights who think they're hardcore / care about cred, and play real extreme hardcore at them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:38:03 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130329 on: January 29, 2018, 02:56:15 am »

KMFDM, Better than the best.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130330 on: January 29, 2018, 03:04:11 am »

@Frumple -- You're the rare person who would actually mean it if they say they listen to a little bit of everything.  Most of the time I hear that, I automatically assume they're the type who has zero awareness of music beyond whatever's on the radio or played at clubs.  People like us know better.  There's TONS of stuff I don't enjoy listening to.  Yet at the same time, I listen to a much larger variety of stuff than the muggles we're on about.  I find I have a hard time describing to people what kind of music I like.  I usually just say "lots of weird stuff".  When asked to elaborate, telling them one of my favorite bands is a capella metal usually does the trick.

I'm trying to expand my collection and pick out stuff I like from a wider variety of genres these days, specifically for rideshare purposes.

Heh, had this happen at an anarchist bookshop, which was across the road from where I lived. These two young punk girls were there, I had just bought a CD of 1980s hardcore band Adrenalin O.D. and asked if they wanted to hear it. They were clearly uncomfortable with the extreme hardcore-ness of this band, but were too cool to admit it, e.g. they were never going to go "omg this is too fast, turn it off" because punk cred. Basically that's a fun game - find some lightweights who think they're hardcore / care about cred, and play real extreme hardcore at them.

I'll admit I can't listen to very much genuine punk.  I like the spirit of it, but unfortunately, that doesn't make it pleasant to hear much of the time.  Takes a certain special bravado from the performers to pull off.  But I admit it's a genre I haven't explored very much.

KMFDM, Better than the best.

The song was Juke Joint Jezebel.  I told them "Remember that Mortal Kombat movie from the 90's?  This song was on that soundtrack."  They were all "We were born in the 90's.  Sorry."  One of them said they knew what I was talking about, and got called out by the others for lying.  I felt alien and old.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:06:01 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130331 on: January 29, 2018, 03:08:10 am »

I never listen to the radio anymore.  Ever.  If I don't have access to alternate means, I prefer silence over radio.  I have had near zero exposure to whatever's current, mainstream, and popular for something like 10 years.
Aw, you don't have a good local college radio playing indie stuff?  You could maybe hit up the online feed for my local-
I start hitting them with OCRemix, progressive metal, Japanese punk, less dancy/more weird electronic stuff like Infected Mushroom or Aphex Twin, etc.  Can be quite fun if they have a sense of humor about it.
...Carry on!
Infected Mushroom, mm.  Deeply disturbed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130332 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:05 am »

I am aware of that one as well.

Unlike most others, I was a very early adopter of MP3, waaaaaaay back in the early 90s, when computers could barely play them. (Ever seen a 486 try to play an MP3? Hilarious stuff.) Our computer repair store had a huge collection of various kinds and genres of music all on shuffle.  We had just about everything in there, including KMFDM stuff. About the only thing we didnt really have was Bob Marley stuff, and shameless country yowling.

Jpop? You betcha. We had a japanese american on staff. :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130333 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:36 am »

SalmonGod, if I ever ride with you, that usb stick sounds like a blast.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #130334 on: January 29, 2018, 03:15:02 am »

So I'm curious.  How many people here maintain local file-based music libraries anymore?  Almost everyone I know just streams everything now.  Which I guess makes me old-fashioned on this point.  I have tens of thousands of flac and mp3 files, and build playlists from tags and ratings in MusicBee.  Only time I'll stream is to sample something specific.  Can't stand it for general listening.

I was thinking it would be fun to share exports of what's in our libraries.  Then realized it would be non-sequitur to how most people do music these days.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 8687 8688 [8689] 8690 8691 ... 11037