Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8675 8676 [8677] 8678 8679 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526398 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130140 on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:27 pm »

Honestly I think half the reason Americans don't like veg is the Southern style of preparation, namely "boil it all until it's mush". You can really see our Scottish roots there.

The other half, of course, is that we've got multiple generations of people conditioned to like food that's packed with absurd amounts of salt and artificial sweeteners + an abnormal perception of what healthy portioning of meat is relative to other components of a meal.
Hey now, there's southern style prep that ends up with non-mushy vegetables. Also plenty of stuff that's fairly slim on the meat to other junk ratio.

... the absurd amount of salt et al totally is a thing, though. It's something of a sumbitch to get through to someone raised on that kind of food to get them to understand you're not necessarily cutting down on salt much if all you're doing is no longer adding extra. Also even when the relative proportions are fairly in line the total tends to be up there. I think I blame the puritans for that one, really. Easier to eat smaller meals when you're more able to stop working to eat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #130141 on: January 22, 2018, 06:44:00 pm »

People don't just eat their cabbage raw?

We don't eat our cabbage at all.

Roasted cabbage begs to differ. Shit's delicious.

Honestly I think half the reason Americans don't like veg is the Southern style of preparation, namely "boil it all until it's mush". You can really see our Scottish roots there.

The other half, of course, is that we've got multiple generations of people conditioned to like food that's packed with absurd amounts of salt and artificial sweeteners + an abnormal perception of what healthy portioning of meat is relative to other components of a meal.

Yeah. Sorry, but I have only recently come aware of the wealth of other ways to prepare cabbage, and all of my prior experience is "Ah, that cheap filler in salads" and "Ah, the tasteless off-green mush".

I had dragonfruit today. It was odd. My initial reaction was: "So that's what kiwis would taste like if they were utterly meh." Then, about ten minutes later, I really wanted another bite. Ended up eating about half the thing. So, a solid B?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130142 on: January 22, 2018, 07:20:02 pm »

You don't understand how bad it is in "Southern" cooking.

My mother in law is quite the good Southern-style cook. She also cooks Filet Mignon in a crock pot.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130143 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:04 pm »

Only cabbage I've ever eaten was kimchi. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't repeat it.

My preferred greens are spinach, turnip greens, or boiled kale.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130144 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:45 pm »

Trying to plan a trip to Chicago at the end of next month. The plan is to take AMTRAK out there, get a motel outside town but still on the city's train system - this should allow a cheaper room rate and avoid the long, long drive. Trying to make sense of this train system map is confusing as hell since I know nothing of the city.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130145 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:07 pm »

Only cabbage I've ever eaten was kimchi. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't repeat it.

... you do realize that kale is a type of cabbage, right?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130146 on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »

... you do realize that kale is a type of cabbage, right?
Neat. I generally only think of cabbage as headed cabbage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130147 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:27 pm »

That reminds me, I actually wrote an article about the history cabbage for my university's student newspaper. Pretty interesting stuff, and an enjoyable read to boot, if I may flatter myself. The latter was made easier of course by the fact that it was essentially one big joke about an elder statesman that had just died. But still.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130148 on: January 22, 2018, 09:23:06 pm »

I think I just retched a little. Deep frying in general just feels so... greasy and horrible.
Dude... ain't you ever had a chimichanga?! Rectify that ASAP!
For that matter, have you ever had, uh, fries/chips, onion rings, or chips/crisps before?  ???

You should probably give those a try before writing off fried foods entirely...
Deep fried stuff makes me nauseous and I greatly dislike the taste. I also have no clue what a "chimichanga" is. Because, turns out, not living in the anglosphere means different foods are the norms while those you consider ubiquitous to be quite rare.

... ok, so it's a burrito. I have never seen a live burrito. Or a taco. Because, as I said, certain types of food (such as mexican) are super rare here.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130149 on: January 22, 2018, 09:31:11 pm »

I can't help but think we've had this conversation before.

Either that or déjà vu is one of the most irritating things that exists.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #130150 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:39 pm »

Please do not quote:
Ultimately, this job's locals don't like me; head office does (they know I'm useful). So now I'm drawing up plans to restructure large intricate portions of the organization. They have to be both comprehensive and executively summarized..... Did I mention tons of regulations/laws, etc, because that.... Also facing lots of resistance on several levels just for doing my job/following supervisor's orders, and people trying to get me fired/working at cross purposes to my supervisor. Nobody likes the person charged with cleaning junk up sometimes.... Meh.

Damn.

It's entirely possible that this won't end great for me, because of petty office politics that are beyond my control. Only boss can fire me, and he says I'm doing good. Need to convince boss' presently unknown successor I'm more than worth keeping. Also I'm in constant pain, and still pulling things off as well as can be expected given the level of resistance against me. Need to schedule Dr.'s appointment for second opinion. My position is a mandated one (by regulation), I haven't thrown anyone under the bus, I'm quiet and just try to get people to do things that will cover their area (self preservation). They could do MUCH, much, worse than me. You'd think that'd win some people over? Who knows?

Please do not quote:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:44:23 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130151 on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:14 am »

Still on topic of foods:

Why call sugars "carbohydrates"? Both "sugars" and "sacharids" means the same thing, so why is there a second english for them? ("Saccharids" is actually latin.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130152 on: January 23, 2018, 01:14:11 am »

Not sure, but saccharide is actually derived from greek [σάκχαρον (sákkharon)], not latin. :P

It does not seem to bear out, but I vaguely remember that saccharides are presumed to have free hydroxyl groups, which is why they taste sweet--- and why complex carbohydrates (cellulose, for instance) does not taste sweet at all, while synthetic saccharides, like sodium saccharine, taste hundreds of times sweeter than sucrose.  That the hydroxyl groups are responsible for the sweetness response bears out-- but the requirement for that group to present to be considered a saccharide does not.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130153 on: January 23, 2018, 01:34:28 am »

Literally the first person at my local store to return a package from Amazon, and I live in a state capital.

Cost me a cool $50 as well which is great.

I don’t suppose anyone knows a way to convert appliances from 110V to 240V using RadioShack equipment?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130154 on: January 23, 2018, 01:37:46 am »

You can buy converters.

What appliance is it? If it's a thing with motors in it, they're likely not able to be converted.
Pages: 1 ... 8675 8676 [8677] 8678 8679 ... 11037