Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8673 8674 [8675] 8676 8677 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526139 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130110 on: January 22, 2018, 12:40:36 pm »

People don't just eat their cabbage raw?

We don't eat our cabbage at all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130111 on: January 22, 2018, 12:53:02 pm »

They've had to widen the standard doorways as a result. Why eat vegetables when you can wrap a cheeseburger in bacon and deepfry it?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130112 on: January 22, 2018, 01:14:43 pm »

Yea, in America the cabbage just kind of sits there on the plate. For the sake of being there, I guess.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130113 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:28 pm »

Absolutely disgusting.

Yea, in America the cabbage just kind of sits there on the plate. For the sake of being there, I guess.
America is a continent, you cabbage-shunning savage.

wrap a cheeseburger in bacon and deepfry it?
I think I just retched a little. Deep frying in general just feels so... greasy and horrible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130114 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:05 pm »

How do they prep it, is it boiled? The stuff's best eaten raw or nearly raw. e.g. if you're making a stirfry and wanted to pad it out with cabbage, you'd add shredded cabbage right at the end, and give it a quick stir to mix it up. You want the cabbage to add some firmness, crunchyness to what you add it to. Boiling it just turns it into muck and kills the nutrients / fibre.

e.g. coleslaw: what do you think they put in that. Surely America has coleslaw. Hint: coleslaw mainly consists of raw cabbage.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:23:22 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130115 on: January 22, 2018, 01:19:09 pm »

Not the US coleslaw, that's mainly mayo with some greens so it can be technically considered a salad.

Proper summer cabbage salad is shredded cabbage, bit of salt and a drizzle of veg oil and some vinegar.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130116 on: January 22, 2018, 01:24:26 pm »

Are you sure? If it isn't based on cabbage/carrot and is only leafy greens, then it's just a salad, not coleslaw at all.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130117 on: January 22, 2018, 01:25:30 pm »

Greens in this case is general for veggies (think they use one or two kinds of cabbage and maybe carrots, not sure, prolly depends on the region)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130118 on: January 22, 2018, 01:27:34 pm »

That's the point, coleslaw is based on cabbage (plus occasionally other "crunchy" things like carrot), except people don't really register it as such, just as "slaw".

The thing is, cabbage is used in a ton of things, but people are blindly ignorant about what's going into the food they eat.

And the traditional American cooking technique of "boil the hell out of it" for vegetables doesn't really work well for something like cabbage. This is pretty much where I'm guessing the hatred of cabbage is coming from: American mothers who boil the stuff then dump a pile of it on your plate next to the meat and potatoes, etc. No wonder you wouldn't like it if it was prepared like that: that's not proper cooking, that's just heating things up and hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:34:23 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130119 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »

You should just go back to calling cabbage cole.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130120 on: January 22, 2018, 01:41:59 pm »

I live in America and I bake (sometimes sautee) my greens like broccoli and cabbage. I like to use garlic and olive oil and wait until it just starts to turn a more vivid green for that warm and crunchy texture before I chuck it into my USA-issued combo deep fryer/turkey shredder to finish.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #130121 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:18 pm »

Let's not be too cynical about McDonalds.  The burger itself is pretty solid nutritionally.  Its got the 3 pillars.  Starch: two slices of bread + mayonnaise.  Protein: beef.  Green veggies: lettuce.  If you can say anything about the burger itself, its that most of its veggies are acidic (onion and tomatoes) and not particularly essential ones.  If you replaced the tomato slice and onions with two different types of leafy greens, and only ever ordered a single, you could probably live off McDonald's burgers and do alright for yourself.  Remember, the original reason people were so down on meat is because trans fats would give people heart attacks.  Now we've mostly extracted the trans fats from everything its not meat you have to look out for (excluding pork products).  Its food that's high energy but low in protein and nutrients.  AKA starches AKA bread, corn and sugar.  That's why deep frying is bad.  Its because it causes the food to absorb oil, which is a starch.

No, if we're going to call out McDonald's for anything its their business model.  Specifically, once you're buying a sandwich the combo is cheap and a small combo costs the same as a large combo.  What's in a combo?  Super sugary soda, and deep fried potatoes.  Both of those things make you fat but don't make you feel full.  But if you get a medium or small combo you're effectively turning down free food, which most people are unwilling to do.  It very directly manipulates people into overeating.

At some point in my life I became a McDonald's defender.  Cause when you don't have the time, energy, or money to eat well, McDonald's is the least guilty option.  Like put yourselves in the shoes of a working parent with 4 kids.  What's a person in that situation going to feel guilty about when they eat?  That they're spending time or money, that they have to prioritize making food for themselves and their kids separately, that their kids might give them shit because food tastes bad.  McDonald's resolves all those complaints.  Their business model is selling a feeling of plenty.  All the McDonald's hate thus tries to make people feel bad about something that should be comforting.  Its not like people in a food desert and/or working 60 hours for low income were ever going to eat well in the first place.  I'd rather be fat than malnourished.

So I don't tell people McDonalds is bad.  I tell them sugar is as bad as fat and soda is what's making Americans fat.  And that the food pyramid is bullshit written by lobbyists and exactly the wrong way to eat.  I mean remember, if you don't count soda as food a Happy Meal is perfect according to the food pyramid.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130122 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »

...Isn't oil fats? Vegetable fatty acids these days, but good classing frying used high temperature lard.

Us Americans love our calorie-dense, nutritionally barren fried breads. It's carbs and fats, all in one!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130123 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »

Yeah, I've never heard oil referred to as a starch before. Starch is carbohydrate, not lipids. Sure, there are reasons why deep frying is bad, but "more starch" isn't one of them.

Its not like people in a food desert and/or working 60 hours for low income were ever going to eat well in the first place.  I'd rather be fat than malnourished.

I feel similar about the hate of "golden rice". Researchers have boosted the amount of beta-carotene in rice kernels (it's normally just in the leaves) to the point that it's a viable boost to vitamin A production in humans, e.g. as a humanitarian thing, since vitamin A deficiency is endemic, and notably, in areas where rice is a staple crop. Making a better rice is therefore an  extremely cost-effective idea at promoting world nutrition.

Meanwhile, Greenpeace and other anti-GMO groups have slammed golden rice saying that a diet rich in green leafy vegetables and fresh fruit provides ample beta-carotene, therefore no money should be spent developing golden rice. Or, they alternatively say that we should ship free vitamin A tablets to everyone on Earth, and not fuck with the rice. Also, they say that Golden Rice only fixes the vitamin A problem, not all problems, therefore it shouldn't be done. Which is a pretty weird argument, since it's literally an argument against ever doing anything.

However, it smacks of a haughty first-world "let them eat cake" attitude: it's not that simple to get fresh fruit and vegetables to literally everyone in the world. And the "vitamin A tablets" idea is ridiculously expensive, distribution would be impractical and need massive amounts of CO2 emissions, and the factories / resources needed to make it would be environmentally disastrous, and in fact deplete food resources further than they already are. You need to make the supplements out of food. What do those fucking idiots think that vitamin A supplement tablets are made out of, if it's not food with vitamin A precursors? Clearly, just shipping tablets around is a bullshit solution, because it only ever solves the problem short-term and you need to maintain it, while the Golden Rice idea is self-sustaining, and can be grown anywhere normal rice can grow, e.g. it's distributed/decentralized.

So, they know that the alternatives they are proposing would actually be more environmentally damaging and costly than Golden Rice, their only goal is to shut down the program, and they don't actually give a fuck about fixing the malnutrition problem at all.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:27:30 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130124 on: January 22, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »

You should just go back to calling cabbage cole.
Crap, I just now understood why it's called cole slaw...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 8673 8674 [8675] 8676 8677 ... 11037