Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8672 8673 [8674] 8675 8676 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526126 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130095 on: January 22, 2018, 01:44:50 am »

The only unique thing we really have left is borscht.
Hey, varieniki are nice as well. (That’s perogies for you non-slavs)
True, they’re the only food I know that foreigners go out of their way to try. No one likes holybtsi.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130096 on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:38 am »

Wrap the holybtsi in bacon, and deep fry it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130097 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:15 am »

* Greiger googles all three.

So Borschet is essentially beet soup and holybtsi are cabbage rolls.  Wow, are y'all in the old world born without taste buds?  I'm not sure even american bacon and deep fat frying could save those.

The Varieniki get a soft pass, as long as they are filled with meat (bacon), or cheese. Preferably our superior american cheese which is orange and needs to have whey added.  Maybe fruit, but that's pushing it.

(please note that my post is being made in a joking matter and I mean no offense to y'all old worlders)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:01:53 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130098 on: January 22, 2018, 05:01:12 am »

What the hell you going on about Greiger?

Cabbage is damn good, when cooked properly.  *Memories of granny's home-made sour kraut*

What do you think a beirock is?!  It's cabbage, beef and cheese inside a dinner roll for cripes sake. (and awesome when made right too.)

Hell, I'd try both if I visited the Ukraine.

Edit:

Looked up holybtsi for more info-- damn straight I would try that. I bet the broth is really savory when slow cooked. I bet I would like it actually.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:09:35 am by wierd »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130099 on: January 22, 2018, 05:15:36 am »

But cabbage is so... green.  And I bet there's barely even 30g of sugar in it, maybe even less.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130100 on: January 22, 2018, 05:26:08 am »

* Greiger googles all three.

So Borschet is essentially beet soup and holybtsi are cabbage rolls.  Wow, are y'all in the old world born without taste buds?  I'm not sure even american bacon and deep fat frying could save those.

The Varieniki get a soft pass, as long as they are filled with meat (bacon), or cheese. Preferably our superior american cheese which is orange and needs to have whey added.  Maybe fruit, but that's pushing it.

(please note that my post is being made in a joking matter and I mean no offense to y'all old worlders)

* scriver seethes internally
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130101 on: January 22, 2018, 06:05:34 am »

Dude I've had sarma (holybtsi of the southern balkans) yesterday and I'll be having it today, and it's going to be even better since it's one of those meals that gets better and better after a day or two has passed. It's a winter explosion of awesomeness and can thaw the coldest of winters by sheer savoury bliss one can expirience while eating it.

Seriously, homemade sarma is meme tier reverance around these parts, don't shit talk it lest an army of angry slavs comes knocking at your door.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130102 on: January 22, 2018, 06:36:41 am »

It looks fantastic.  I have made similar pottage on my own, so I have a good idea on the potential flavor.  This would have better presentation being a carefully made product, and probably have more distinct flavor profiles. I would actually love to try it.

Borscht on the other hand....   I am one of those poor unfortunate souls that can taste nothing but "Oklahoma dirt" when he eats anything made with or from beets. It is just overpoweringly awful.  I dont think the borscht is at fault for my defective tastebuds, just that I cannot handle it.

But the cabbage rolls?  I bet that is damn fine eating. 

(Fun fact, my grandma came to the US as a little baby from Ukraine, but it was from a german speaking area. Still, I have the affinity for cabbage, and cabbage (when properly cooked... I dont know how people can make it horrible, but for some reason the majority of people here just do not know how to cook it right, and it is awful when they do...) based dishes.  That stuff looks fabulous.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130103 on: January 22, 2018, 07:08:44 am »

Germanians and Slavs, united in our love of cabbage and fermented foods.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130104 on: January 22, 2018, 07:21:42 am »

Cabbage is indeed great.

But I do not think that all fermented food is. While I do love bread and cheese, most things that contain a lot of vinegar (such as sauerkraut or anything pickled) I find not very tasty.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130105 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:11 am »

Eh. Give me a good old fashioned Staffordshire Oatcake and I'm happy.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #130106 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:53 am »

I built spidermonkey, correctly got bindgen (A rust program that generates rust bindings to C/C++ libraries) working, and....

This will be painful.
I can't build v8, and i can't generate bindings to spidermonkey.  :'(

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130107 on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:58 am »

Also asian cooking, spring rolls are basically pastry filled with cabbage, and western people eat those all the time and enjoy them.

Asian people just don't tell the Americans there's cabbage in there.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:20:37 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #130108 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:44 pm »

That's how Americans consume their leafy greens.

Every McDonalds burger comes with veggies.  Slathered in mayonnaise and hidden away between bun, cheese and meat.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130109 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:23 pm »

People don't just eat their cabbage raw?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 8672 8673 [8674] 8675 8676 ... 11037